Author Topic: Cast Iron Pans  (Read 2652 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Cast Iron Pans
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:03 PM »
I sewer by Lodge. 

I'm hoping you meant swear.... ;D

Guess I'm new school. I love my Calphalon.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I love me some cast iron cook wear.

But my Sister-in-Law, not so much.

She was visiting here a year or so ago and proceeded to take steel wool pads to my favorite iron skillet.  She said she wanted to "remove the gunk".

She's lucky I couldn't reach Ma's six shooter, Grampa's 16 gauge double barrel, Daddy's squirrel gun, Uncle Cletus' .22, Aunt Bertha's Derringer, Cousin Bubba's Bowie knife, or my old Red Ryder BB gun 'cause I'd a shot that harpie...

But it's cast iron. 

So no harm done.  Into the oven for a seasoning and it was back to "gunk" status in no time. 

In the mean time, I wrote her out of the will.  Missin' out on the 1/4th of my estate she was scheduled to inherit after I passed is gonna show her!!! 

She'll have to come up with $26.35 somewhere else...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:18 PM »
 :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline MFDIRT13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:23 PM »
I have one lodge pan that is only for camping and ice fishing. Like it!
On the hunt for TROUT!!!

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Was looking at some of my dads old cast iron pans and didn't realize how much they were worth.
Being from PA., he has a couple Griswolds,Universals and a Wagner. I used them a few times and didn't like how the heat
is always in the center,I was probably using too big of a pan.I cooked some venison tenderloins on them last fall and
had to keep turning them so they would cook right. I guess I'll have to learn how to use them right.
Dad likes to cook his liver and onions on them every once in awhile.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Was looking at some of my dads old cast iron pans and didn't realize how much they were worth.
Being from PA., he has a couple Griswolds,Universals and a Wagner. I used them a few times and didn't like how the heat
is always in the center,I was probably using too big of a pan.I cooked some venison tenderloins on them last fall and
had to keep turning them so they would cook right. I guess I'll have to learn how to use them right.
Dad likes to cook his liver and onions on them every once in awhile.
Cast iron doesn't distribute the higher heat evenly. The hot spot will be in the center. Reduce the heat after the pan gets hot, and try to keep the food away from the center and more towards the outside edges. If you're cooking with a liquid stock, it won't matter as much. Cast isn't as easy as some of the newer types of cookware, but it's nice to be able to utilize some of the things the old timers used everyday.. Yes you can -and should- wash with hot soapy water. Don't use scour pads or scratch pads. They remove the carbon buildup that makes cast iron non-stick. Lot's of good info on line on how to season and maintain cast iron cookware.

Offline DanaM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:22 AM »
One more trick I learned from an old timer, use food grade mineral oil between uses, just a dab and wipe it around with a paper towel. Unlike other oils it doesn't go rancid.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:16 AM »
Lard works best.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:23 AM »
garage sale! the only way to go. i have a complete set just from garage sale for less then $20. you may need to clean them up a little but its worth it.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Lard works best.
I've heard lard is bad because it can go rancid. This said i used to use lard and it worked great but if you only use your cast irons for huntin/campin you may want to use a veggie oil. if you use your cast irons everyday like i do i dont think lard will go rancid.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:37 AM »
Griswold this the best. Lodge bought them out but quality is hard to beat. EBay has a great selection and if you keep your eye open on garage sales you can find them. I found more good castiron in pawn shops and garage sales. Half the price and usually better quality.
No one left behind.     

Offline Chuckb85607

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2016, 02:34 PM »
Gander mountain

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2016, 02:55 PM »
I have always used lodge no problems I just wipe them down with little olive oil after cleaning.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline yotyfox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Am I the only one who uses Camp Chef?  ???

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:49 PM »
Not much to add but I have old Wagner and Griswald. I like the Wagner better but they're both great. They don't have to say made in USA to be American a lot of the super old ones don't say it on them I think it's Griswald that super old ones don't say anything at all. Maybe not them but one of the nice old ones that's the case

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Mom and sis love those tag sales, so I've had to save some pretty ugly pans. I'm not above using an orbital sander or flap wheel to get back to base metal.

Oil it, bake it, oil it again, bake it again. oil it. oil it again.

The reminder about not needing to crank up the heat when cooking probably got skimmed over. Don't ignore that advice -- no good cook puts the burner on 11, and tosses food in right away. Let that pan come to heat while you prep. Clean it asap. My habit is once food is done, I put it under cold water in the sink, and hit it with a green pad. Once any residue is out, it goes back onto the still warm burner until dry. When I'm done eating, the dishes go in the dishwasher, and the pan gets coated with a teaspoon of oil dripped in the bottom, and worked about with a paper towel.

The two that never leave the top of the stove are the 10 inch skillet and 10 inch griddle.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:53 PM »
There are many good brands out there. Take your time and season it right and it will last you a lifetime. never use soap on it and when you season it,use a vegetable oil not an animal fat. animal fat will spoil and your pan will become rancid.

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #47 on: Jan 14, 2016, 09:41 PM »
I have a collection and buyer  of cast iron pans.
I was taught to use molasses to clean a newly required old pan.
soaking it will loosen all the rust and old crude and leave it clean as new,
ready to be seasoned and used for another life time.
I am making a venison stew in a dutchy and a loaf of bread in another tonight.
I am looking for large label griswolds and warpaks .
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:35 AM »
how many of you use them on the new smooth top electric stoves? when we went electric i quit using them. i also quit cooking. the wife said i need to start cooking again and i said i need gas. the war is on. ;D i found poor results with the electric. anyone else have this trouble?

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #49 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:41 AM »
I am a gas man , ii had a electric element stove.
the electric i found hot spots and un even fry cooking.
in the oven not much difference,these really come to there  own on a open fire.
or on the grill .
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:49 AM »
my mom had a smooth top and loved it, until something fell on it and broke the glass.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 15, 2016, 02:17 PM »
I use cast iron for almost everything that I cook every day and haven't had any problems other than my huge pan has a little warp to it so it doesn't sit flush. That's my pans fault not the range and it still works fine

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:54 PM »
use cast iron EVERY DAY is how you get them in shape. ;)
6'' egg pan IS FOR EGG'S ONLY  >:(
everything else is fair game
the Lodge wok is my go to for stir fry,deep fry,popcorn and many other items to cook.
deep frying is great [no boil overs] catches everything.
wife has one of the glazed pots and that's hers. [need fingers for ice fishing]
we also have a extra large dutch oven for cooking turkeys[20#] with wood fire/charcoal.

as for cleaning; Hot water and steel scrubby is all I use. [except for the glazed one] ;D
warm up on the commercial oven [6 burner] in the back kitchen and coat with what ever is handy
the commercial oven has large burners so it heats evenly [24''flat top/broiler and 2 30'' ovens]

as for used cast iron if it has a silverish/yellow look on the inside DON'T USE IT FOR FOOD
it was used for melting LEAD and can not be salvaged safely.

SnoHam13

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.