Author Topic: ice largemouth bass  (Read 3067 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: ice largemouth bass
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:21 AM »
Fantastic eating, stopped killing bass a long  time ago though. Grow way to slow up here,

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:57 AM »
never caught one jigging. may be cuz i haven't jigged much. this year will be different. gonna do a lot of hole hopping. all my bass have been caught on tipups 1-2 feet of the bottom with medium shiners. anywhere from 8 fow to 18 fow.

Offline carl bjorgen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:59 AM »
This is a great thread and those pictures are terrific.

I am this year (for the first time in my ice fishing career) going to be specifically targeting largemouth bass.

I am going to try everything from jigs, to spinners, to darters, to wacky rigged worms, etc; maybe even a tip-up (which I've never used in my life). 

I've got nothing against pan fish, but they don't do it for me.  I love bass fishing.  I target them primarily for the six months or so that I fish open water, and have decided to extend my season to a year round pursuit up here in Minnesota.

I might not catch a darn thing for a while, but you guys have proven that it can be done if you know what you're doing.  I don't yet, but hopefully this year I'll learn a thing or two.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:16 AM »
carl, just keep monitoring this site and don't be afraid to ask questions

Offline MNcrappiecontrol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Where about in mn are you

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #35 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Largemouth Bass = fun to catch, but disgusting to eat... but I guess I might eat one if I couldn't ever catch anything more table worthy like Crappie, Catfish, Perch, Walleye, or Pike.

Summer months they taste like mud, mid winter they rival perch and walleye.... I honestly couldn't tell the difference between mid winter small mouth and walleye, kinda wish theyd open a season on the through the ice in ny.. All my bass catches are accidental through the ice but these fish typicaly gut hook them selves badly and its kinda disenheartening throwing them back down the hole..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Sweet pics ;D ;D

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Bass are great eating through the ice, the meat is nice and firm, plus by me many good walleye lakes are getting over run with bass and have no size limit on bass. A big lm bass population and walleye do not do good together. Most people don't even fish for bass up here they want walleye.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #38 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:22 AM »
I catch most mine on tip ups usually after the season closes.  So back down the hole they go.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline carl bjorgen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Where about in mn are you

I live in the metro, New Brighton/St. Anthony area.  Usually fish Long, Johanna, or Silver during the winter.  I rarely get anywhere else, and all these lakes are within a 10 minute drive from my house.

Good pan fishing in the winter, although most of the fish are small fry's.  I've gotten a northern once in a while by accident on a little jig and wax.

I'm kind of bored with that action though, and hope to catch some bass.  All three lakes are good bass lakes and I know them all real well.  I'll just work 'em over and see if I can have some success like y'all have had.

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:48 AM »
I would never keep a bass no matter what season, there are just too many other fish that taste better and have larger renewable populations. I live in NJ so maybe bass in other states are overpopulated and then keeping a few might be a good thing. Also if guys want to keep them that is there choice, just don't agree with guys keeping the larger females. Those are what gives quality to the bass population and like said earlier these fish take a long time to grow, especially the farther North you go. I also bass fish 12 months out of the year so these fish are important to me. There was a small pond by my house that I used to walk back in the woods to get too, it was only a few acres big. But it was full of some decent bass. It was a nice spot to go fish when I didn't have time to get the boat ready and just wanted to fish for an hour or so. Each year I saw more and more guys ice fishing this place and they would literally cover the entire pond with tipups. Fast forward a few years and all I catch out of there are snot rockets, aka pickerel. Larger lakes are able to handle people taking some fish but these smaller bodies of water can get wiped out very quick.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:18 AM »
ive had plenty of luck with the same jigs i use for perch. biggest bass through the ice was a smallie pushin 4lbs...Most of the places i fish ya cant keep bass in the winter, so they get to swim another day....but there isnt anything like setting the hook into "another perch" and it turns out to be a 3+lb bass..
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline MNcrappiecontrol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:34 PM »
I use quick strike rig I tie myself I use treble hooks tho

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #43 on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:13 PM »
I strictly bass fish in the winter...10 to 20 feet on a break
Or flat works best for me...I only use tip ups with 4 to 6 inch shiners or suckers...
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Bass are great eating through the ice, the meat is nice and firm,

A more accurate description of the flesh would be tough, and that's the main reason I don't like them.

I don't condemn anyone for eating them, you're more than welcome to my share of them... as a matter of fact I wish everybody would eat them, they pester the snot out of me when I'm crappie fishin'.... dang green carp!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:47 AM »

these are a few over the years...we fish as a group of 6 or 8 and average about 15 five to six pounders a year...we are still looking for that elusive 7 pounder through the ice and the eight...looking forward to ice fishing and it should happen soon here in nh....
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Wow those are some nice bass.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Those are some nice bass!!

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Great pics. I love the close ups.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:31 PM »

a friend of mine,I cant brag about any big bass >:(

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:38 PM »
i personally get a pissed when a big bass comes into your perch or crappie hole and scares them away....but, they sure are a hell of a lot of fun on an ultra light with 2 pound test
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:40 PM »
I hammer them pretty good on tip ups with medium Arkansas shiners in 6-12' of water usually.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.