Author Topic: Marcum Lx-5 or Lx-6?????  (Read 3957 times)

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Lx-5 or Lx-6?????
« on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:23 PM »
So i have been planning on buying a marcum lx-5 for this upcoming season to replace my old hondex flasher for as long as i can remember.  They are normally going for 499.99.  I have found a deal for cyber monday where i can get this unit for 50$ off of this price however there is another deal for the lx-6 for 500$!  Now i know that these are totally different units, one being analog and one digital.  I know a lot less about the lx-6 as i have had my heart set on the lx-5 for so long.  I know that the LX-7 is all the rage right now and the lx-6 is the same thing but smaller but im a little skeptical about how well these will hold up to the conditions being that its new technology and all.  But for an extra 50$ i can get the latest and greatest...

Any input in this would be great!  I know the lx-6 units are relatively new so there may not be people around the forums who can speak from experience on what they are like but as i understand it those with lx-7's will have a similar understanding of them.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Marcum Lx-5 or Lx-6?????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:46 PM »
I would go with the LX-6.
It's not new technology (lcd depthfinders have been around for a long time) just a twist on the software that interperets the sonar signals and displays them on the screen.

Offline BigBassLee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:01 PM »
I have an LX-5.  I absolutely love it.  I'm saving my money for the LX-9.  Christmas bonus money if I get a wishful surprise.  I'm always going to use my LX-5.  There should be some used ones coming on the market if there is a sale on LX-6s
Big Bass Lee

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2012, 04:31 AM »
I had both the lx-3 and lx-5. I am not sure that I want to venture into the digital finders for ice fishing. I took a few years off from the hardwater and now getting back into it. I want to get another lx-5 or even a lx-3, as I sold mine a few years ago.  :(

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:33 AM »
thats a smoking deal on a lx6.  If I had the money and was ready for a new one That would be my ticket.  I use a lowrance x67c and a ice troller.  I use my x67c mainly in graph mode and im not a fan of the circle display.  but thats my preference and everyone is difference.  The nice thing about the lx 6 is you can use it in all forms and would make a great open water finder.  Just my thoughts.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:54 AM »
If you can get the lx-6 for $500 I would jump on that. You get a lot more features with the lx-6.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:24 AM »
I have the lx5, its my baby! and NOT going anywhere, But if /when I make that jump..... I would wait/save for the lx7. Why get an in-between unit? .....either way you go, you are making a good move. Gd luck.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2012, 10:42 AM »
The lx-6 is the way to go, the lx-7 is to large and bulky for hole hopping. 

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2012, 01:45 PM »
The lx-6 is the way to go, the lx-7 is to large and bulky for hole hopping.

x2

AW

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Lx-7 too bulky?  :cookoo: the lx-7 weighs less than any mechanical flasher and has the same basic footprint as the lx-5 or vexilars genz pack.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2012, 03:41 PM »
Get the tried and true LX 5 save your money for something else. Some guys would rather play with gadgets than just catch fish I guess. Face the fact they will come out with a new one every year. Learn how to use a good old one and you will out fish all the guys with the new fancy toys.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:04 PM »
WTB----  LX-3 or LX-5 that someone is upgrading away from. Will make reasonable dirt cheap offer!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Where do you get a 6 for 500.00???
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Get the tried and true LX 5 save your money for something else. Some guys would rather play with gadgets than just catch fish I guess. Face the fact they will come out with a new one every year. Learn how to use a good old one and you will out fish all the guys with the new fancy toys.

Ha.

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Where do you get a 6 for 500.00???
GanderMountain.com Cyber Monday deal only.  Bought mine there today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.