Author Topic: How many guys and gals pick up?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
How many guys and gals pick up?
« on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:13 PM »
When I go fishing I always see old line,cans,candy wrappers ,if I can I make an effort to retrieve this junk.  I take a bag with me just to put this junk in. I hope all of you people do the same.  It makes me sick to see this junk on the bank or on the ice.   Jerry

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: How many guys and gals pick up?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:15 PM »
i do.. ive been picking a bunch of junk up from the river banks lately.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Always. I take a can of plastic bags with me, to pick up after the slobs. If I see them doing it, I nicely ask them to pick it up. If not, I'll ask them where they prefer to have it stuffed.   ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I pick up after the slobs on the ice, always seem to find an empty 1lb propane tank or two out there.  They give us all a bad name.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:29 PM »
yeah, I pick- up what I can, the issue is most the junk on the ice in my area is cigarette buts, they are everywhere, and one of the easier items to take with ya, so I dont get it really

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:48 PM »
There has been a time or two with one bucket of fish and two buckets of trash. :%$#!: :nono:  And I'm not waving a finger at you who care.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:49 PM »
I always pick up.  We were stopped by the CO's last year on a last open season shore trip.  In the back of my truck was a bag of bottles and can(that came from shore not us) it was a separate bag from garbage for recycling purposes.  One of the officers asked to look through the truck, I willingly let him.  He started to get up in my face about drinking in public places and drinking and driving after he saw the bag of empties.  Ill add this was around noon and I had my 5 year old daughter with me.  I took me dumping the bag and showing them how dirty and old (they came off a beach) the bottles and cans were.  Just a little story to share about picking up.
Blake from Elbow

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:56 PM »
I always pick up.  We were stopped by the CO's last year on a last open season shore trip.  In the back of my truck was a bag of bottles and can(that came from shore not us) it was a separate bag from garbage for recycling purposes.  One of the officers asked to look through the truck, I willingly let him.  He started to get up in my face about drinking in public places and drinking and driving after he saw the bag of empties.  Ill add this was around noon and I had my 5 year old daughter with me.  I took me dumping the bag and showing them how dirty and old (they came off a beach) the bottles and cans were.  Just a little story to share about picking up.
he musta felt like a ummm donkey...the guy seriously searched your vehicle? What a tool

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2011, 05:11 PM »

I always have a few plastic grocery bags with me for picking up after the slobs, even occasionally for any fish I may catch.

poorfisherman, originally why did they want to look though your truck? In your face and unwarranted lecture in front of you daughter, not cool. It happened to me one time and I don't really drink, maybe a six pack over a year and never drink and drive! I had crossed the double yellow line, to avoid a deer that had stepped out on the road, and he pulled me over! I was repeatedly questioned in front of my son about drinking and driving, even after admitted he had seen the deer and had to avoid it also. I got a lecture too? It kinda rattled my son, I had to reassure him he was doing his job to keep us safe, really unwarranted though...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I do. A couple of weeks ago I had my fiancees 11 year old son out grouse hunting with me. We found a couple of beer cans out on this trail 1/2 mile from the truck.
I asked him to pick them up and put them in the game bag on his hunting vest as i had the grouse in mine.
He said "but we don't even drink beer". I had him pick them up anyway. I hope he learns the right thing to do and I will do my best to teach him.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:12 PM »
I do also. I actually got checked for license once and the CO said she saw me picking up trash and thanked me. It really irks me to see it laying there, sometimes very near a garbage can.

I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I not only pick up after slobs i turn them in when possible. Last year there was a group of people at one of the lakes I like to go to and was all drunk at 10 AM. After they all left I returned and found the biggest mess I have ever seen. I am guessing one of them was too drunk to drive home. There was one vehicle still there. I took down the plate number and called the rangers. There must of been enough trash scattered around for 5 people eating and drinking for 3 days. I carry a bag with me but that day I wouldn't have made a dent in it and wanted to be sure I got the rangers up there before they got that truck out of there. I also have turned in people throwing things out their car while driving down the road.
<===Lefty===

Offline fish4fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:35 PM »
when I'm hunting or fishing i always pick up outher people's trash. what makes people think that littering is okay.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:48 PM »
I do also. I actually got checked for license once and the CO said she saw me picking up trash and thanked me. It really irks me to see it laying there, sometimes very near a garbage can.

There are some good ones out there ~ we have the majority.

I'd like to share the  Conservation Enforcement Creed of the State of Idaho C Os Association
The philosophy, guideline and creed of the Idaho Department of Fish and Game Conservation Officer shall always be:

* To assist the public in their compliance with regulations;
* To save unfortunate offenders from unnecessary humiliation, inconvenience and distress;
* To have no compromise for crime and to resolutely seek the violator, but with judgement charitable toward the minor offender;
* Never to cite if a warning would be better;
* Never to scold or reprimand, but rather to respect and inform.

We are lucky to have some of the best C Os in the USA.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:50 PM »
It's people like that that are going to ruin it for everyone. Not only is lazy and bad for the environment, landowners are going to shut down right-of-ways, beaches, hunting land, and everything else. The people that are going to get hurt are the ones like you guys picking up the trash and doing your part cuz you ACTUALLY want to fish or hunt there. The ones doing it are the ones who don't really care. Just my .02

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Always have a bag with me - fortunately most people are pretty conscientious and neat.  The few that don't care, well, I'd love to see if I could stuff them down a 10" hole  ;D

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:41 PM »
always do even the shore fishermen in the summer are bad around here worm containers and cheap line is the big ones .    My other big gripe is dead fish thrown away if your not going to eat it throw it back even if it is not going to live throw it back somone will eat it  pike,  crawfish, and  turtles all love dead or dying fish

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:43 PM »
I always carry bags for my own trash anyway. I usually throw the stuff in the dumpster at work the next day. One coworker said "I pick up my own stuff....I'm not picking up after everyone else!". I reminded him of one reason so much land is posted these days. Not only do I hate trash on the ground, but I want to avoid losing access to places as well. (p.s....I'm a smoker, and there aren't even any butts in my yard.)

On the flip side, I throw food scraps outside. I hate to waste either. And it's fun to watch the crows and gulls argue over a baitfish carcass.  :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:59 PM »
the lakes i fish i don't really run into it. if i see something though, i through it in my sled.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Raised that way! Also raising my kids the same. Leave the woods as clean or cleaner than you found them.

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:40 PM »
yeah, I pick- up what I can, the issue is most the junk on the ice in my area is cigarette buts, they are everywhere, and one of the easier items to take with ya, so I dont get it really

I don't get that either. I smoke on the ice and usually end up picking up other peoples butts also. I carry an old plastic peanut butter jar and empty it out when I'm done. Super easy, but I guess not as easy as just dropping on the ice.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:43 PM »
I usually take pictures of the mess people leave. Weird habit I guess but I find it so repulsive that I just have to share it. It makes me happy to see that this post has been started and probably read by at least a few disrespectful slobs. Ya u know who you are  :%$#!:

MTA

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:51 PM »
My cigarette buts go in an empty can, can gets crushed and bagged, along with whatever else I see laying about. Usually pretty clean around the lakes I fish, but have had a few times picking up after someone else. Not the end of the world for me to pick up after someone else, but it should not be necessary by any means.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:51 PM »

I always have a few plastic grocery bags with me for picking up after the slobs, even occasionally for any fish I may catch.

poorfisherman, originally why did they want to look though your truck? In your face and unwarranted lecture in front of you daughter, not cool. It happened to me one time and I don't really drink, maybe a six pack over a year and never drink and drive! I had crossed the double yellow line, to avoid a deer that had stepped out on the road, and he pulled me over! I was repeatedly questioned in front of my son about drinking and driving, even after admitted he had seen the deer and had to avoid it also. I got a lecture too? It kinda rattled my son, I had to reassure him he was doing his job to keep us safe, really unwarranted though...
There was two guys on this occasion(I have only had the CO's stop the boat, in the shack or shore fishing 5 times in 34 years).  They were really nice just wanting to chat asked how fishing was etc.  They asked for my licence witch was in the truck when I took them up to the truck he asked If he could have a look. With NOTHING to hide I was more than willing.  Maybe just they were having one of those days.  I did get names and office locations and made a report/complaint.  I never heard anything back.  On all other occasions the officers I have delt with were very nice, friendly and willing to share tales.  In the winter(twice same guy) coffee was on and lunch was cooking he was more than willing to stop, eat, drink and warm up in the shack.
Blake from Elbow

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Great topic!!  I also preach to my young daughters about leave it better than you found it. Summer shore fishing is almost nauseating somtimes.
http://

surflizard

« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:00 PM »
We carry bags and bring out more than we bring in, it Sucks, but the alternatives are much worse ! One lake here for example, when I first started fishing this lake with my Grandpa 40 years ago, you could access the lake from dozens of spots all around the lake ! Now thanks to the trash tossing Scumbags, we are down to 4 access's on the lake now and losing more ever year !! I posted a story last year that was titled Body Cavity Trash Reclamation Therapy, To this day, I truly believe that this type of therapy would be Instrumental in curing those unfortunate people who suffer from Trash Tossing !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:02 PM »
You first... ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline problyfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Raised that way! Also raising my kids the same. Leave the woods as clean or cleaner than you found them.

EXACTLY!

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:23 PM »
I hate picking up other people's garbage, but do. At least it beats having to see the same mess more than once. Piles of mono left on river and lake shores around here. That stuff is not only unsightly, but dangerous. Couple weeks ago I couldn't get my dog to come out of the brush when called and heard him barking. Went in and found him tangled in mono which was wrapped into bushes and which he couldn't break. I figure all the cans and bottles that I pick up pays for most of my lures and line.

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:02 AM »
  I did get names and office locations and made a report/complaint.  I never heard anything back.  On all other occasions the officers I have delt with were very nice, friendly and willing to share tales.  In the winter(twice same guy) coffee was on and lunch was cooking he was more than willing to stop, eat, drink and warm up in the shack.
Don't know about your state but in PA if they ask (without reasonable suspicion) you can simply say no.  Not defending the CO's but they may have received complaints about someone with a similar vehicle and are just making sure.  I was given a hard time in april by two deputy CO's.  A friend and I were on private property (with permission), had a camp fire (with permission) and were drinking beer (I'm well 'of-age').  They were ready to cite me until I showed some credentials and they quickly backed off.  Afterwards I asked them why they were giving me a hard time and they replied that the Township asked them to crack down on the littering and drunken idiots fishing the opening day. 

I'm cold and I like it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.