The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crystal/Granite/North Crow  (Read 11651 times)

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Crystal/Granite/North Crow
« Reply #60 on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:38 AM »
Sorry I didn't put the ice thickness up. It was different in places but the thinnest was 12 inches  with 6 inches of snow on top.
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Thanks!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 10, 2010, 12:46 PM »
Made it up to crow this morning, ice is still doing good, it was a solid 11 inches where I was at with a little snow on top(probably thicker in the coves, I didn't check). Saw a few grayling, a few suckers, and ended up catching 14 rainbows. Unfortunely I ran out of meal worms and caught my last fish using a salmon egg, which didn't work anymore after that. They wouldn't hit my jig with dead meal worms either, I learn something new with my camera every trip. Also the road getting in is pretty much snow free.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #63 on: Mar 10, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Thanks for the report.

Glad to know that there are suckers in there.

Have you ever had much luck catching them?
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Mar 10, 2010, 04:34 PM »
In fact there are way too many suckers there. G & F nets them every spring to kill a couple hundred because there isn't sufficient food for the trout to get big. Also why they put splake in there to eat the suckers. The suckers in there are hard to catch, since they are longnose suckers their mouths are really turned down and even with small jigs, they have trouble getting it in their mouth. I had 2 hit my jig today but they have to hit it just right and they didn't come back for a 2nd try. I've only ever actually landed one there and that was last season. The white suckers or whatever they are at granite are easier to catch. If you look at the G & F regional newsletters on their site from one of the past few years it explains more about the suckers there. Sorry to be so long winded.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 10, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Nah thanks for the info.  Appreciate it.

Where is a good place to catch suckers at granite?  I can only catch stocker trout out there.  I think i lucked into one sucker. 

"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:16 PM »
I've caught a couple in the inlet pond(canyon area), truthfully though, I've seen them almost everywhere at granite that I have fished. They don't seem concentrated anywhere, they are just bigger and easier to catch there. I always see them in 5-10 fow on the bottom. Good luck.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Thanks man.

Appreciate the info.  I think I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning ;)  Time to start trying to find some spring cattin bait.

Now if only the itsy bitsy tiny teeny trout would leave my worms a lone!!!
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 12, 2010, 10:14 PM »
Went up to Crow for a couple hours this afternoon, caught 4 bows. Ice is still good, 14-16 inches on most of the lake.

Offline bent arrow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Mar 18, 2010, 04:27 PM »

The wife and I just took a drive by the lakes and come across a black lab that fell through the ice and could not make it to shore.State parks was there and few fellow fisher man a long rope and little luck we got him in.Thanks to all that where involved most of all a dude named Frankie. This was the west end of Granite. End of the hard water this year for sure!!!!

This was catch and release!!!!!!      FISH ON

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 18, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Glad you folks took the time to save him/her.  I love dogs.  I would have done the same thing.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline treechicken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Arrow,
Did you drive by N. Crow yesterday?  I was hoping for on last trip tomorrow if I can get out there

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:08 AM »
With this snow and crappy weather those soft spots will be disguised so be careful if you try. Also this snow is pretty wet I bet the road is pretty soupy...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline treechicken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:25 AM »
Yep.  Worst possible timing for a storm.  I just need to get out and fish.  We'll drill some test holes to check the depth before we get out there

Offline bent arrow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Mar 19, 2010, 05:39 PM »

Na we didn't make it to Crow just Crystal and Granite lot of open water and a lot of fishing going on. Surprised how many people where out on a week day. The summer bug is in the air. But this storm makes  a dude want be on the ice. Be careful on Crow bro if you go. I'm going to try to hit some of that open water for sure this weekend. FISH ON

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 20, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Made it up to Crow this morning. Road in is pretty bad if you are driving a car, would be no problem in a truck though. Ice is still 16 inches in the coves. I got there a little too late for the morning bite but landed one rainbow and lost another at the hole. Lake is again covered by 4 inches of snow and the ice is still clear and strong. Nice meeting you and your crew treechicken.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Mar 20, 2010, 02:35 PM »
HMMMM maybe one more trip to crow is in order... ???
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline treechicken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Mar 20, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Went out to N. Crow with a few friends this morning and caught 12 small rainbows.  Bite was best between 7 and 8am.  You too Trout

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Mar 21, 2010, 02:01 AM »
glad to see you guys still getting them on the hardwater!  Out of town for a few days, then ready to get back out!!!  Cheers,Chris

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Mar 21, 2010, 04:10 AM »
Does North Crow / Granite / crystal have crayfish?  Or the Laramie river?
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Mar 21, 2010, 05:45 AM »
Laramie river is loaded with crawdads!!!!
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Mar 21, 2010, 06:25 AM »
Laramie river is loaded with crawdads!!!!

Sweet ;D 
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Mar 21, 2010, 08:45 PM »
All the Curt Gowdy lakes have crawdads and plenty of them.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Mar 22, 2010, 12:16 AM »
Good deal.  Too bad there is nothing to eat them in large numbers.  Somewhat of an unused resource.

I wish they would not stock trout in there.  There are a bazillion places to catch trout on the plains lakes.  Not to mention stellar trout fishing nearby on the platte.  Some smallies, catfish, bluegill, crappie, (and yes I dare say it perch fishing) would be nice to have nearby. 

Glendo is not too far of a drive for me.  But not everyone in Laramie wants to drive that far for some variety.  (Cheyenne to for that matter).
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Mar 22, 2010, 01:59 PM »
I sort of agree with you Moose, but there are perch in Crystal and Granite already. Obviously there is not enough food for them because they are all tiny. Also the water is too cold there to produce anything of size except for trout. Personally I love all the lakes at Curt Gowdy and can barely stand to fish the plains lakes. I don't like shallow lakes because fishing from shore is almost impossible, with lures or flies. Besides that many of my largest trout have come from Granite, including a 24" 6.5 lb cutbow, several 22 inch cutbows, 20 inch bows, etc. My largest fish at hattie(and I have fished there a lot) is 22 inches and 5 lbs. I know the plains produce big fish but when you only have a couple hours to fish at a time it is difficult. At curt gowdy at least I catch fish every trip with a chance for a nice one. I grew up in southern california where gills, crappie, cats, bass, were very abundant and trout were a rarity. I would love to go to glendo, grayrocks, etc. but I have 2 jobs, I'm a student, and I'm married, so it's almost impossible. Besides that the plains lakes are downright ugly. Not trying to argue with you Moose, just trying to give another perspective.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #85 on: Mar 22, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Compromise

Whichever reservoir has the warmer water gets the crappie, perch, walleye, etc.

Deal?

;D
Tu ne cede malis

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Mar 22, 2010, 02:12 PM »
I sort of agree with you Moose, but there are perch in Crystal and Granite already. Obviously there is not enough food for them because they are all tiny. Also the water is too cold there to produce anything of size except for trout. Personally I love all the lakes at Curt Gowdy and can barely stand to fish the plains lakes. I don't like shallow lakes because fishing from shore is almost impossible, with lures or flies. Besides that many of my largest trout have come from Granite, including a 24" 6.5 lb cutbow, several 22 inch cutbows, 20 inch bows, etc. My largest fish at hattie(and I have fished there a lot) is 22 inches and 5 lbs. I know the plains produce big fish but when you only have a couple hours to fish at a time it is difficult. At curt gowdy at least I catch fish every trip with a chance for a nice one. I grew up in southern california where gills, crappie, cats, bass, were very abundant and trout were a rarity. I would love to go to glendo, grayrocks, etc. but I have 2 jobs, I'm a student, and I'm married, so it's almost impossible. Besides that the plains lakes are downright ugly. Not trying to argue with you Moose, just trying to give another perspective.

I'm going to try a little harder at locating the perch @ Curt Cowdy this summer.  There are 'some' in there.  In my estimation it is a no brainer why they don't have any food.  When there are that many stocker trout competing for resources all you get his below average fishing.  I won't even argue that there aren't big trout in the gowdy lakes.  Heck the G/F netted like 12lb brown outta there if memory serves me right.

I have my problems with hattie too - - - Even though I'd prefer a better chance at a 10lb+ fish than just catch tiny ones all day long.

Excellent point about the depth of the plains lakes and shore fishing.  I agree.

-----

It would be nice to have some gill / better perch action nearby.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Mar 22, 2010, 02:45 PM »
327 this is ugly ???

Best part is no people in the shot ;D ;)
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Mar 22, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Point well taken, Taz, I do think it is ugly compared to curt gowdy but I spend most of my time in the canyons up there above and below the lakes with no people around. I wasn't very clear, the plains aren't bad during winter but they are just mud puddles that stink during the summer, littered with garbage and tire ruts. I've never stared a deer in the eye from 20 feet away while standing in a creek at hattie(like I have at Gowdy), I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Truthfully hattie wouldn't be that bad if it were full but it's just depressing to me to see the water not even touch the dam. I have a pontoon boat and last time I launched it at hattie I had to wade out at least 50 feet before it would float while up to my knees in mud, discouraging to say the least. That's a good picture of hattie by the way.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Mar 22, 2010, 05:55 PM »

Tim man you made a great point.  I let that go unattended.  Hattie does have some good scenery.  Heck you know what else is nice scenery, a lake all to yourself.  Or not crowded at least.  Gotta love how most of the lakes around here don't get enormous amounts of pressure.

These plains lakes are great lakes.  They give people in this region a place to catch pleny fish.  Even some of the smaller lakes and rivers around here have some nice big trout.  I just wish there was a little more variety.

And also - - - I mean, think about the difference between hattie and granite.  They are VERY similar in size of lake and species but where they differ is that Hattie has a small population of really remarkably large trout.  Granite has a remarkably large population of really small trout. 

If the G/F would stock less, the fish in there would have a better chance to get huge!!! There would be more to eat, like at Hattie.  I understand that you need a place where kids and families can go to catch lots of fish and keep everyone interested.  I get that.  I even enjoy it sometimes.   

------

I saw a video on a bluegill structure building project the Arizona G/F did.  They built underwater structure thick as heck on a shore that looks just like Granite.  I'll show you later tonight after I find it.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.