Author Topic: Re-packing grease in Polar tip-up  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re-packing grease in Polar tip-up
« on: Mar 02, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Has anyone ever repacked the spindle tube in an HT Polar tip-up? I have a few that are leaking and wanted to know if it is worth my while to re-pack the tube.  :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Re-packing grease in Polar tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:54 PM »
Yes. I bought my polars soon after they came out. Sometime around 1990 + or -, I disassembled and repacked them. As I recall at the time you could buy a kit which included seals and springs. Since then I've had two of seven leak. Just repacked with lithium grease.

Offline orviskid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2007, 04:09 PM »
mine actually freeze when its cold, the spool will hardly turn. i have the HT blue grease too and they still freeze.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:03 AM »
mine actually freeze when its cold, the spool will hardly turn. i have the HT blue grease too and they still freeze.
Water is getting inside the spindle tube because of either you have not packing enough grease in the tube or the lower seal that is just above the spool is broken and allows water to freeze in the spindle tube.  You have two options, replace the lower seal and re-pack the spindle tube tightly with grease or purchase a new tip-up.  I have had my tip-ups freeze sold to the ice hole in –30 degrees and the spindle would spin with no problem when a fish took the bait.  :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:07 AM »
Yes. I bought my polars soon after they came out. Sometime around 1990 + or -, I disassembled and repacked them. As I recall at the time you could buy a kit which included seals and springs. Since then I've had two of seven leak. Just repacked with lithium grease.
Do you remeber how much time it took? Because it might be worth my while just to buy new ones if it takes longer than an hour. The ones that started to leak are 14 years old and just might keep them as a spare.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Do you remeber how much time it took? Because it might be worth my while just to buy new ones if it takes longer than an hour. The ones that started to leak are 14 years old and just might keep them as a spare.
Not sure of time factor, seems like it was minutes. Additionally, I remember replacing a seal with an "off the shelf" O ring from a local hardware store for pennies. If you go new polars, don't forget for a couple bucks more you can, or could, get the large spool version. Much easier when it's time to pick up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.