Author Topic: Vented propane heater??  (Read 27255 times)

Offline trmotorsports

• IceShanty Rookie
Vented propane heater??
« on: Nov 08, 2010, 03:11 PM »
Does anyone know of a small vented propane heater? Kinda sick of the condensation with the big buddy heater, but cant find a small vented heater, all the ones I see are way too much for a small bob house.
thanks
Tyler

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vented propane heater??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2010, 03:27 PM »

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:52 PM »
platinum cat - I have an older model that works great

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2010, 05:28 AM »
this heater is the cats a.. it works great. our shanty is 8x10 heats up great never any co2 to worry about. we have a detector just incase... in the lowest the shanty stayed at about 75 degrees, it was -4 that night.

rickl1968

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2010, 06:33 AM »
A non vented, Blue flame heater burns 99.9% efficient and has no condensation. And (just a tip) with burning any type of fuel you should have a detector.

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2010, 07:19 AM »
A non vented, Blue flame heater burns 99.9% efficient and has no condensation. And (just a tip) with burning any type of fuel you should have a detector.

That is simply not true at all.  The chemical reaction for the oxidation of methane (natural gas) is as follows:

CH4 + 202 -> CO2 + 2H2O

That means that there is twice as much water vapor being produced than carbon dioxide.  It really is as simple as that.  Once the air in the shack/shanty touches a cold surface, the air temperature will be reduced to the saturation point and condensation will occur.  Insulation prevents the air from touching cold surfaces and condensing. 

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Condensation is usually a problem with insulation. It will be humid inside the shack but once that air touches a cold surface, it will condense. I have an insulated shack and don't get dripping issues. But with the flip over and a bigger heat you will see it more.  I'm not sure what a bob house is, but whats your insulation like?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:51 AM »
A bob house, in this instance, is a small house for a guy named Bob.

rickl1968

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2010, 03:37 PM »
That is simply not true at all.  The chemical reaction for the oxidation of methane (natural gas) is as follows:

CH4 + 202 -> CO2 + 2H2O

That means that there is twice as much water vapor being produced than carbon dioxide.  It really is as simple as that.  Once the air in the shack/shanty touches a cold surface, the air temperature will be reduced to the saturation point and condensation will occur.  Insulation prevents the air from touching cold surfaces and condensing.  

I haven't had any problems with condensation in my shack at all when burning my blueflame heater (Propane). But when I used my Big Buddy heater there was condensation on my windows. I have a total of 5 windows in my shack. If your fourmula is true where is it going?

Offline phredder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:20 PM »
I found an old propane space heater at a garage sale for $5.00. The seller told me it was natural gas but I brought it home thinking about converting it and then realized it was made for propane. It was built by the Watt company and I have since seen similar versions made by the same company.  I use it in a 12x6x6 Clam pop up and I love it.  The inside of the ice shack stays dry and frost free.  And, my eyes don't get irritated like they do from non-vented heaters, both Mr. Heater Buddies.  I think you'll enjoy using a vented heater.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.