The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyoming Hardwater Hotspots  (Read 96560 times)

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
Re: Jackson Hole/Pinedale Hardwater Hotspots
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:36 AM »

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:43 AM »
So I take it you cannot ski in on the old road up to the Rockerfeller Ranch?!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:52 AM »

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Hey, I forgot to mention 7 of us fished Fremont last weekend.  I actually did really well, caught 10 up to 24", some were pretty skinny.  I kept one around 18" for the grill that had nice bright orange flesh as they always seem to out of Fremont.  The rest of the group were pretty much skunked however, even though most were using the same lure/bait I was.  I think using light braid with a mono leader helps feel the light bites and in setting the hook.  But also think I was just lucky.

At about noon the wife of one of the guys came out and brought their baby.  My wife was holding the little guy when she noticed her line jiggling (which was still down the hole).  My buddies wife picked up the rod and ended up pulling a a 28" mack out of the hole.  My wife fished all day and caught nothing and my buddies wife walks out on the ice and lands the biggest fish of the day!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:47 PM »
BottomDweller,
                    You are Wyoming's EXTREME Fisherman! You put in that extra effort, it will pay big dividends if not in fish! in the spirit of the wild! Great pic's.
                                                         Big Ice

Offline wyolipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:45 AM »
Spudbar sure is good at taking the pics.  Isnt there ever any pics of him catching a fish.  Whats up spudbar?  Where you been?

Hit jackson lake on monday and killed em. nothing monster just 20" all day long, bright and sunny day.
lipripper out

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #66 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:05 AM »

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:32 PM »

Hit jackson lake on monday and killed em. nothing monster just 20" all day long, bright and sunny day.
lipripper out
[/quote]

I gotta see it to believe it pilgram? Do all fisherman lie or what? I wanna see some pictures!!

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:37 PM »
i have another buddy that went to willow on monday and caught four fish, one a 12lber.  we'll probably head for that lake on sat or sun.
[/quote]

You need to get ahold of Stanly and see if he will show us how its done?

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Dorado, that sounds like a nice day on the dead sea! How much did the 28incher weigh? was it skinny like alotta them are out there? were you fishing out on the East bar?

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #70 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:10 AM »

Offline Bonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 07, 2007, 03:32 PM »
Man, you guys sure hammer em up there.  Down here in CO we can catch macks all day but none are bigger than about 20 inches.  I'm making a trip up that way President's Day weekend and will fish Jackson Lake and maybe Willow or something else down that way.  How's the fishing been lately?  For macks are you guys using the typical tube jig/sucker meat combo?  Any luck with spoons or other jigs?  Thanks for the info and maybe I'll see some of you out there.
Dave

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 09, 2007, 01:36 PM »
Man, you guys sure hammer em up there.  Down here in CO we can catch macks all day but none are bigger than about 20 inches.  I'm making a trip up that way President's Day weekend and will fish Jackson Lake and maybe Willow or something else down that way.  How's the fishing been lately?  For macks are you guys using the typical tube jig/sucker meat combo?  Any luck with spoons or other jigs?  Thanks for the info and maybe I'll see some of you out there.
Dave

Bonzo, green tubes, and glow tubes work well, with sucker meat/bullheads, or watever u can find, doll flys, foxys. The macs will bite just about anything if there hungry. Good luck on your trip!  We will most likely be in Pinedale or Green River over pres weekend. Be Sure to let us no how u did?

Offline wyolipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 09, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Spudbar,
sorry but this site doesn't allow westbankers.  Let me guess- u are going skinny skiing tomorrow.

Bonzo-  I have found that on Jackson lake small jigs work much better than large ones.  I usually stay with a 3/8 oz and alot of times i leave the sucker meat off.  spudbar is right though, when they are biting they eat just about anything. 

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Feb 09, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Dorado, that sounds like a nice day on the dead sea! How much did the 28incher weigh? was it skinny like alotta them are out there? were you fishing out on the East bar?

Spudbar, it was a good day for me, but for everyone else it was pretty slow.  Can't say why?

The 28" fish was about 6 lbs, so it was on the lean side but not emaciated like some of the fish that come out of Fremont.   

We were on the East bar in water 35'-65'.  May have to try somewhere else this weekend.

Offline Bonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 09, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Spud and Wyo,
Thanks for the advice.  I'd love to ice a pig like one of yours.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Alot of times I squeeze some smelly jelly inside a tube and that seems to make a difference, if the fish aren't into taking bigger presentations.  Good luck.
Bonz

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 09, 2007, 05:10 PM »
Spudbar,
sorry but this site doesn't allow westbankers.  Let me guess- u are going skinny skiing tomorrow.

Bonzo-  I have found that on Jackson lake small jigs work much better than large ones.  I usually stay with a 3/8 oz and alot of times i leave the sucker meat off.  spudbar is right though, when they are biting they eat just about anything. 

Hip Ripper, You make no sence, go up to canadian or east coaster boards, maybe they will understand your passion for skinny skiing.  Bonzo, I don't know what hip is talking about, I've always understood the bigger the hook, the bigger the fish? I don't think hipripper has ever caught a fish before?

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 09, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Spudbar, it was a good day for me, but for everyone else it was pretty slow.  Can't say why?

The 28" fish was about 6 lbs, so it was on the lean side but not emaciated like some of the fish that come out of Fremont.   

We were on the East bar in water 35'-65'.  May have to try somewhere else this weekend.
Thanks for the report Dorado! I'm looking foward to partake in the annual Ice fishing Derby. Sure had a good time last year! I might head down to Willow or Fremont on Sunday, depending on the fishing in Jackson, weather, and if my sleds runnin good or not.
Spudbar out.

Offline Bonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 10, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Spud, that's always been my thought, too.  I caught a 22 inch trout on a tip-up and a 5 inch salted shad this year pike fishing .  Pretty crazy.  Dumb pike. :-\

Offline wyolipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Hip Ripper, You make no sence, go up to canadian or east coaster boards, maybe they will understand your passion for skinny skiing.  Bonzo, I don't know what hip is talking about, I've always understood the bigger the hook, the bigger the fish? I don't think hipripper has ever caught a fish before?

Spudboy,
i forgot what your method to catching fish is-- using a 2 oz jig and knocking the fish senseless and then gut hooking em.  give me a break spuddy boy, how about you find some thin ice and do jumpin jacks on it- let me know how that treats you.

lip ripper not hipripper    out

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #80 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:03 AM »

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:47 AM »
Nice pics, that first one with the tetons in the background is awesome. Later KR

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #82 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Great shots of Jax Lake guys and congrats on some beautiful lakers  ;D

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:09 PM »
Spudboy,
i forgot what your method to catching fish is-- using a 2 oz jig and knocking the fish senseless and then gut hooking em.  give me a break spuddy boy, how about you find some thin ice and do jumpin jacks on it- let me know how that treats you.

l
OK Eastern reject, Look who pulled the biggest one out Sat, and remember the one that fell off your midget hook, then I had to listen to ya cry for about an hour, an ruin my wilderness expierience. Go find some matches pilgram and light yerself on fire on thin ice.
Spudbar out 

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:31 PM »
Nice pics guys . Love them mountains up there .
Utah Ice

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #85 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:54 AM »

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 14, 2007, 10:10 AM »
Those are excellent pictures...thank you for posting them!!
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline wyolipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:55 PM »
bd,  brought a hog to the surface and spudbar dropped him back in the hole.  probably 13-15 lber   Thanks spuddy
lipripper out.

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:34 PM »
bd,  brought a hog to the surface . 

i don't recall seeing your girlfriend on J Lake Hip, I think you better get yer eyes checked?

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #89 on: Mar 06, 2007, 07:47 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.