Author Topic: Ice Camping with Buddy Heater in Eskimo fatfish 6120i  (Read 4392 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
I am gearing up for ice season and this year I’m hoping to go on a few trips out of my home area. I am going on a trip to South Dakota in January with a big group but I plan to go an extra day by myself. Because I’m so cheap I’m thinking about setting up my hub shack on a lake and staying the night to fish for some walleyes. There are all kinds of conflicting views about buddy heaters in tents and confined spaces but after watching some YouTube videos on the subject I am not sure what to believe. Most used carbon monoxide detectors to prove that there was not an issue, I’m not convinced. I have a cot and a good zero degree sleeping and I don’t plan to use the heater while I’m sleeping but if it’s real cold I might. What are some of your experiences with using heaters like this?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Ice Camping with Buddy Heater in Eskimo fatfish 6120i
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:59 PM »
I did the sleeping all by myself in the popup shelter before.  I had actually turned my heater off.  Yes I used to bring the co detector but then again, if I'm by myself...when it's too late, it's too late...

As by experience where I have fished all night...stayed awake and never had issues, but it only takes one time to be too late...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:14 AM »
I spend the night quite often and use my heater. Most times es I don't use it while I sleep but times I have I open vents and crak the door open and I'm still here.........

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2019, 04:18 AM »
I’ve personally spent many nights in the hub overnight with my buddy going only once did it turn off cuz low o2. Make sure your vents are open and good to go
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

sunniewally

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Don't know why you would have a problem. You don't die during the day. I have spent many days in a tent camping and use it in my zack shack in the winter. I make sure I have air flow  with open window or vents and use a 12v fan to keep air flow.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2019, 07:36 AM »
Right, that's exactly what gets me confused. I can fish all day long with my flip sealed as tight as a drum and have the buddy heater cranked for 16 hours solid, but at night, all of a sudden I'm going to die? I don't think portables can possibly get tight enough to keep a lethal amount of CO inside. Even still, I just get my shanty as hot as possible before I crawl into the wrapper and turn it off. The heater is close by so I can snap it on before I need to exit my sleeping bag or if I get too cold overnight.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2019, 07:39 AM »
we run our big buddy heater on high all night in my insulated eskimo hub 14 x 8ft, and sleep two of us on cots, spend the whole night walleye fishing. I do have an alarm set to go off to check on tip ups every hour to half hour depending on the bit level. bring a monoxide dectector to be extra safe, I love it, bring a foam for the cot to keep you warmer, it really helps in winter.
Have fun
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:21 AM »
I just wanted to see if anyone else does it. There are lots of people who say you shouldn’t but I used to use a big buddy to heat a 12x20 hunting shack and we never had a problem.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2019, 12:35 PM »
There re quite a few camping threads on the site....and I agree, Ive always thought that there was probably enough ventilation but never hurts to be careful....and if you lay awake all night worrying, then its a mute point...   ;D ;D. Im planning to do the same this year, btw!

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:40 PM »
I camped out in my Eskimo 949i last winter with my portable buddy heater running all night no problem. That shack has a pair of vents I had open and I also cracked the bottom of the door open as well. I had a CO detector stashed in the interior mesh pocket and it never went off.

Like others have said, it's no different than sitting in a shack all day with the heater going, assuming you don't get in and out during the day. I'll also second the foam or having an additional layer under your sleeping bag on top of the cot. It may also help to have something on the ice below your cot like those fatigue mats.

Offline bassin140

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2019, 05:39 PM »
I am wanting to do the exact same thing especially as my kids get older and I want them in the outdoors. I was thinking about installing a stove jack in the hub and running the sportsman's guide 100 dollar wood stove. This was I wouldn't need to worry about any carbon monoxide and talk about keeping that sucker warm all night.

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Like everyone else is saying, just be careful. I’ve never camped in my shanty but I have used my buddy heater in my pop up camper and lived to tell about it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2019, 05:08 AM »
I would not have a problem doing it but not without a CO/ smoke detector.  We spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on fishing equipment so spending about 20 bucks on a possible life saver is a no brainer for me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2019, 07:05 AM »
I also plan on doing this in my hub.  I just bought a Big Buddy heater, but will also be bringing 2 carbon monoxide detectors with me that I have in my house anyways.  One has a readout and the other is just a basic one.  I figure if I have them, I might as well bring them.  They don't take up much room.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Like everyone else is saying, just be careful. I’ve never camped in my shanty but I have used my buddy heater in my pop up camper and lived to tell about it.

Same here in my pop up truck camper.  Leave a door/window open a little bit for fresh air and there won't be a problem.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2019, 10:16 AM »
1st off i'm not recommending anything. I have been ice fishing for multiple years and many days i'm in my flipover from dusk till dawn with my heater going and I never had a problem.

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2019, 10:48 AM »
I wouldn't tell you not to do it and I'm sure its worked out fine for many many people but its worth pointing out that there is one group absent from this discussion - those whom it didn't work out for....

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2019, 11:31 AM »
We've been ice camping for about 10 years now and using the Mr. buddy heaters excusivlely. I would not use any other heater than that brand. There has never been any problems other than not having the door or windows cracked wide enough to keep some fresh air going in. At 1st I was like lets tighten this tent up air tight and get to sleeping but now if its not to breezy I will more than likely have a door wide open and still maintain 65 degs. in my tent. Like the others have stated you just need good fresh air movement and you'll be fine.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2019, 02:13 PM »
I wouldn't tell you not to do it and I'm sure its worked out fine for many many people but its worth pointing out that there is one group absent from this discussion - those whom it didn't work out for....

Yup!!! Like I said, $20 investment on CO detector "just in case". Of course, I'm not out to prove I'm a tough guy either. Just sayin'.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2019, 04:15 PM »
Another vote for carbon monoxide detector.  Wouldn't trust the buddy heater safety shutoff

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Spent many of nights with a buddy heater. CO detector low to the floor in front of the heater.
CO is heavier than oxygen.
Fresh air from a window and vent youre all good.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:38 PM »
CO is heavier than O2?

C = 12
O = 16

CO = 28
O2 = 32

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Carbon monoxide is definitely NOT heavier than air. It is slightly lighter than air, but disperses evenly throughout a room.

FWIW, the recommended installation height for CO detectors is 5' above the floor, with one on every level of the house.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2019, 06:36 AM »
While CO is the real scary thing, especially when the heater is not operating correctly, it's not the biggest factor when using a buddy heater.   The lack of oxygen will be your biggest threat.  These heaters use oxygen to burn and if you are not getting enough to supply both you and the heater it will not turn out well.   As far as I know a CO detector will not alert you to oxygen levels.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2019, 07:11 AM »
The danger with CO is not CO, but the bonding of CO in hemoglobin.  It bonds easier than O2.  So Even with plenty of O2, your body will starve for O2 because CO in bonded.

Just because you move to an area with plenty of O2 in the air.  The CO is still bonded in hemoglobin.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2019, 01:48 PM »
I get that, but the REAL danger is the lack of oxygen and not CO.   There is no CO emissions from these heaters, unless they are damaged or not operating properly.   A CO detector won't help if you have burned up all your oxygen.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 21, 2019, 12:15 AM »
I have Ice camped im my eskimo quick fish 3 and the only problem i had was freezing my beer.... FWIW.  We all spend hours in our shacks with the buddy heaters on... I just popped open vents and cracked my zipper and was fine. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.