Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You hear what happened to Pluto? That's messed up!
Is it worth it?
« on: Oct 15, 2019, 09:42 AM »
3rd year ice fishing and I want to get an auger but unsure of the cost to justify the purchase of a gas auger, drill auger, or hand auger.   

I go on one weekend fishing trip per year with my friends up north Michigan. One guy has a gas auger and drills all the holes. We fish from Thursday to Sunday and this year he may not be able to attend the trip.

I want to go out on a few weekends this winter and will have to drill my own holes.

If I only go out a few times per year its hard to justify the purchase of a gas auger -  but I don't want to get a drill auger or hand auger and have to struggle to get the holes made if I'm moving around the lake a lot.

I'm thinking of leaning towards hand auger for this year ($60 or so) and then getting a Vexlar. 

Recommendations and feedback appreciated.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:02 AM »
There are guys the run the drill/auger combo all season in MN the last few years so that shouldn't be a big concern as long as you have a proper drill.  Just need to have enough batteries or ability to charge once the ice gets 3 feet here. This will be my first year running a drill, can't wait.

But if you don't have a fish finder that makes it very tough and I'd lean towards a nice hand auger and a fish finder. Drilling lots of holes is only so valuable if you can't see what's below the ice

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Would depend on how much ice were are talking about. If you are OK with a smaller diameter, hand drilling with a 5" or 6" hand auger in ice around say 8 inches thick isn't too bad, even if you are moving around a lot. I have a drill adapter that came with my Nero and have yet to use it because it is so easy to drill with it by hand.

If you are talking about running and gunning to find fish on thicker ice where hand drilling would be too much, a used gas auger would be your best bet if trying to save cost. Lots of them for sale now pretty cheap with everyone upgrading to electric.

That is unless you already have a suitable cordless drill and batteries. If you do, I'd get a hand auger with an adapter, but keep the hand crank for early ice. 

If it came down to it tough, I'd get the Vexilar and chip out holes with a hatchet if I had to.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:12 AM »
About three years ago, I bought a Nils hand auger and it is amazingly efficient at drilling holes.  Gave both of my mora augers away.  Last year I bought a Clam plate, adapter and a Rigid drill.  It is ridiculous how easy drilling holes is.  I can drill a hole through 6" of ice in seconds.  It was not cheap, but I watched for sales and regularly use the Rigid working around the house (great drill).  I live in central Illinois, so I hear you on not wanting to buy equipment that you will only use several times a year.  Its worth the money, as I look at my buddy's old Mora and just cringe about having to use it to drill a hole.  Perhaps you can take a similar approach and buy a solid hand auger and then work towards the drill set-up as deals present themselves.       
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:25 AM »
About three years ago, I bought a Nils hand auger and it is amazingly efficient at drilling holes.  Gave both of my mora augers away.  Last year I bought a Clam plate, adapter and a Rigid drill.  It is ridiculous how easy drilling holes is.  I can drill a hole through 6" of ice in seconds.  It was not cheap, but I watched for sales and regularly use the Rigid working around the house (great drill).  I live in central Illinois, so I hear you on not wanting to buy equipment that you will only use several times a year.  Its worth the money, as I look at my buddy's old Mora and just cringe about having to use it to drill a hole.  Perhaps you can take a similar approach and buy a solid hand auger and then work towards the drill set-up as deals present themselves.     

On one of the reviews for the Nils w/ clam plate - the person said they needed another adapter as well? Is this true or could I just purchase the Nils 6" + clam plate and be all set to star drilling holes?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:28 AM »
I'm an ION user, but from what you're describing as your situation I would look at going with a drill setup - you can use the drill motor year around to help justify.  Plus, if you have a hub shack it can further the drill's use to screw in the ice anchors.  Next year when your gas auger buddy goes again he'll be wanting to know all about that drill setup...   ::)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I would also say get a Nero Mini. I have both a 6" and 8" and drilled through 12" of ice by hand with the 8" and it was effortless.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:30 AM »
HT  Nero auger may fit the bill ..easy on the budget and cuts fairly easy about a $100 or so ...could always add a cordless drill later on as it comes with the drill adapter  ..comes in an 8 inch option this season . Could also go with a Mora style little cheaper but if are eventually going with a cordless set up you are going to have to purchase an adapter .As for drills several options Dewalt 991/996 and the Milwaukee 2803/2804 would be my recommendations .

https://www.marinegeneral.com/product/ht-nero-auger/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:45 AM »
HT  Nero auger may fit the bill ..easy on the budget and cuts fairly easy about a $100 or so ...could always add a cordless drill later on as it comes with the drill adapter  ..comes in an 8 inch option this season . Could also go with a Mora style little cheaper but if are eventually going with a cordless set up you are going to have to purchase an adapter .As for drills several options Dewalt 991/996 and the Milwaukee 2803/2804 would be my recommendations .

https://www.marinegeneral.com/product/ht-nero-auger/

This is perfect!! Thanks!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I keep forgetting(age 66). But I don't have the 8" I have the 6" and 7". THe 7" is what cut through the 12" of ice with ease.
<===Lefty===

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2019, 06:49 PM »
I’d go with a drill setup if you can afford all the pieces. eBay is a pretty good place for batteries/chargers at a decent price then I’d get the bare M18 fuel drill for around $100 and a decent hand auger. Moras work just fine but I personally use a lazer. Both are made by strikemaster but several brands make good augers. A bare tool with a 5ah battery/ charger and a mora auger shouldn’t cost more than about $300.

If you can’t afford a drill setup right now or want an auger and the sonar unit, personally, I’d go with a 6” StrikeMaster lazer hand auger. It will tear up the ice when you get to put it on a drill and you won’t curse drilling 8” holes by hand. 8” hand holes aren’t bad until you’re on 20”+ of ice and want more than 3 holes. In 20” of ice with one 5ah battery in my m18 drill I can drill ~30 8” holes. Under 12” of ice I can get ~60. Remember though, when it comes to drilling holes by hand (or when regarding battery life), an 8” auger removes twice as much ice than 6” auger. Of course, an 8” hole isn’t really necessary for 90% of the species we catch through the ice but an 8” hole offers some nice real estate.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2019, 07:52 PM »
As rare as I get out, it's worth it for me.

I started with the hand auger...when I was young that was worth it.
I got a gas auger...when I was able to afford one, that was worth it.
I finally got tired of yanking the cord...got me the drill set up...that was worth it.

;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2019, 09:38 PM »
I'm going to back up a step here... 

You say you want to go out a few more times so you'd have to drill your own holes.  How many holes are we talking about?  If you are just looking to camp out in one spot and use half a dozen holes per outing a decent hand auger will be just fine.  If your intention is to pop a bunch of holes looking for fish then you'd want to consider something with some type of motor (i.e. drill). 

Next...do you have any cordless power tools right now?  If you do then stick with that brand if possible when/if you invest in a drill for your auger.  Match up the specs with what will turn the size and type of auger you get and go from there.  It doesn't make much sense (if any at all) to get into another battery platform if you already are on one.  Why buy a Milwaukee drill specifically for ice fishing if you already have cordless Makita tools...or vice versa....or <insert name of brand here>.  Just match the specs up on a brushless hammer drill if you are already invested in a certain brand. 

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:39 AM »
I'm going to back up a step here... 

You say you want to go out a few more times so you'd have to drill your own holes.  How many holes are we talking about?  If you are just looking to camp out in one spot and use half a dozen holes per outing a decent hand auger will be just fine.  If your intention is to pop a bunch of holes looking for fish then you'd want to consider something with some type of motor (i.e. drill). 

Next...do you have any cordless power tools right now?  If you do then stick with that brand if possible when/if you invest in a drill for your auger.  Match up the specs with what will turn the size and type of auger you get and go from there.  It doesn't make much sense (if any at all) to get into another battery platform if you already are on one.  Why buy a Milwaukee drill specifically for ice fishing if you already have cordless Makita tools...or vice versa....or <insert name of brand here>.  Just match the specs up on a brushless hammer drill if you are already invested in a certain brand.

Good advice.

I've been spoiled in the few short years I've been ice fishing.  My buddy with the gas auger will go out and just pop tons of holes and then I can camp by different one throughout the day.   If/when I go out by myself this year, I'd still plan on making over 10 holes per trip.  I'll be getting a Vexlar soon - so I guess it would all depend on what that tells me if I'm staying put or not. 

I do have tools but the drill is harbor freight...not sure how well it'll hold up.  Does chores around the house and surprisingly still has life to it.   But I do agree with you, if I can make that setup work (if possible) no need in going and purchasing things I already own.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:40 AM »
On one of the reviews for the Nils w/ clam plate - the person said they needed another adapter as well? Is this true or could I just purchase the Nils 6" + clam plate and be all set to star drilling holes?

The Nils hand auger requires an adapter for the auger shaft.  There is a guy on e-bay that sold me one for $20.  Zero issues.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:42 AM »
The Nils hand auger requires an adapter for the auger shaft.  There is a guy on e-bay that sold me one for $20.  Zero issues.

Clam has come out with their own now too. 17 bucks

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/nils-auger-adapter-for-conversion-kit.html

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Good advice.

I've been spoiled in the few short years I've been ice fishing.  My buddy with the gas auger will go out and just pop tons of holes and then I can camp by different one throughout the day.   If/when I go out by myself this year, I'd still plan on making over 10 holes per trip.  I'll be getting a Vexlar soon - so I guess it would all depend on what that tells me if I'm staying put or not. 

I do have tools but the drill is harbor freight...not sure how well it'll hold up.  Does chores around the house and surprisingly still has life to it.   But I do agree with you, if I can make that setup work (if possible) no need in going and purchasing things I already own.

not to start a war over electronics, but make sure you give the sonar units like what Lowrance sells a good review.  I have several units (x67c and m68c) and could not imagine using a flasher (both units have flasher mode option on them).     

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2019, 10:35 AM »
not to start a war over electronics, but make sure you give the sonar units like what Lowrance sells a good review.  I have several units (x67c and m68c) and could not imagine using a flasher (both units have flasher mode option on them).   

+1.....drilling holes blindly is fun and all, but some sort of fishfinder will change how you fish those holes......of course the sky is the limit.....I started with a $100 garmin and worked myself up to a livescope unit in just a handful of years....now looking at wheelhouses.....

I think you're on the right track though....you need an auger....and right after that get a fishfinder......

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2019, 10:44 AM »
+1.....drilling holes blindly is fun and all, but some sort of fishfinder will change how you fish those holes......of course the sky is the limit.....I started with a $100 garmin and worked myself up to a livescope unit in just a handful of years....now looking at wheelhouses.....

I think you're on the right track though....you need an auger....and right after that get a fishfinder......

Maybe this is a super newbie question - but isn't a Vexlar a fish finder?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Maybe this is a super newbie question - but isn't a Vexlar a fish finder?

of course....just referencing the other post.....Vexlar is a brand, there are many out there....Vexlar is a nice "standard" when ice fishing, just saying there are some much better machines out there(and some worse), but their point is all the same....finding fish under ice (or in water)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:23 PM »
I use a battery operated Milwaukee drill mounted to a Clam plate and the auger section from my Mora hand drill.  After ice season I remove the drill and use it around the farm.  I get yearly use from the drill. 

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2019, 01:26 AM »
Would depend on how much ice were are talking about. If you are OK with a smaller diameter, hand drilling with a 5" or 6" hand auger in ice around say 8 inches thick isn't too bad, even if you are moving around a lot. I have a drill adapter that came with my Nero and have yet to use it because it is so easy to drill with it by hand.

If you are talking about running and gunning to find fish on thicker ice where hand drilling would be too much, a used gas auger would be your best bet if trying to save cost. Lots of them for sale now pretty cheap with everyone upgrading to electric.

That is unless you already have a suitable cordless drill and batteries. If you do, I'd get a hand auger with an adapter, but keep the hand crank for early ice. 

If it came down to it tough, I'd get the Vexilar and chip out holes with a hatchet if I had to.

Agree with this - get the Vexilar (or other suitable finder) and a hand auger.   As long as you keep the blades razor sharp - it will serve you well.  Allow the blades to get dinged up and you might as well bring the hatchet. 

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Agree with this - get the Vexilar (or other suitable finder) and a hand auger.   As long as you keep the blades razor sharp - it will serve you well.  Allow the blades to get dinged up and you might as well bring the hatchet.

Cannot agree with this more.  A lot of people clean the ice/slush off their auger by banging it on the ice.  Quick and easy way to damage your blades.  At $60 a pop to have them sharpened, I am the only one that uses my auger. 

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Cannot agree with this more.  A lot of people clean the ice/slush off their auger by banging it on the ice.  Quick and easy way to damage your blades.  At $60 a pop to have them sharpened, I am the only one that uses my auger.

Where does one take an auger to have the blades sharpened?

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2019, 09:01 AM »

Being in MN I've mailed my strikemaster blades to red rock outfitters before, seemed sharper than when I bought them $15 or so?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12:16 PM »
"Fish307.com (one of the Ice Shanty sponsors)  does a great job sharpening ice auger blades.  Hand augers $12 per set, power auger $15 per set.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:45 PM »
Lots of places sharpen auger blades there's probably a local sharpening shop near you that would do it for a reasonable fee.
somebody in your state forum ought to be able to turn you on to a local sharpening shop that they have used.
For my jiffy I bought the sharpener that jiffy makes it's quick easy and I get the perfect angle and sharpness every time.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:51 PM »

yes, you need an adapter to connect Nils to Clam plate but is worth it

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2019, 11:03 PM »
How about this? $70 and cuts like a nils  if fishing pike , trout,  etc just drill three holes in a triangle shape and spud out middle of triangle?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16000-ESKIMO-AUGER-HAND-6-INCH-CURVED-SILVERTIP-MFG-REFURBISHED-OLD-STOCK/362783595520?hash=item5477965c00:g:Qn0AAOSwATddqGMF

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2019, 12:18 AM »

Most augers have replacement blades available for $30 or so, but the point is to to be very careful with it and the blades should last you a few seasons at least.  Gas augers with chipper blades are not nearly as fickle as shaver blades on hand augers.  It's a lesson that most (including me) learn the hard way.  One other point - an 8" bit takes almost twice the effort to turn as a 6" bit.  All but the biggest fish will fit through a 6" hole. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.