Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Sabula Area/Savanna  (Read 7317 times)

Offline Mohawk Al

• IceShanty Rookie
Sabula Area/Savanna
« on: Jan 13, 2008, 12:00 AM »
How's the Ice here?
Any news on South Sabula,Barge,Spring Lake,or Mickelsons?
Thanks!

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
Re: Sabula Area/Savanna
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:16 AM »
 Al,
I talked to my son last night who lives in Clinton. He said, he saw guys fishing Mickelson's and whatever that little lake is out there on hyw 30 on the right side halfway to Dewitt. He didn't say how thick the ice might have been. He did say the one guy who was fishing the lake out by Dewitt was out in the middle of the lake.
He said, he didn't get a chance to check out the south lake by the sabula campgrounds. That's usually a pretty good spot to try, right out by the edge of the lilly pads.   

Offline Mohawk Al

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Thank You!
This is a valuable report for me ...as all the ice is gone in Will County! >:(

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:12 PM »
Al,
 Looking at the projected weather forcast, the ice should be in pretty good shape by next weekend for sure.   Finally the "Ice Gods" have heard our prayers!

Offline Mohawk Al

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:58 PM »
My Brother has a second home in Sabula.... I love that town.
In February 2006...we were fishing the deep hole on S. Sabula off the boat ramp.
I caught 9 nine species out of one hole.
Michelson's can be good at times ....and I like Spring Lake allot....especially riding the quad out there.You can really get lost out dere.
My wife,Sioux the Ice Queen, and I were out there between Xmas and New Year's.
We stayed at Buck's Barn and Resort in Thompson for 4 days.....Great time...Great motel....and Fantastic Food!
Off the "Fin and Feather " Campground at the Cutoff one day ....we destroyed the perch.
We went out there for crappie and ended up with 22 really nice perch....4 at 12.5 ".
I have some pics that I will post in my spare time.
Guys around here....in the Chi-Towne Area are waiting for 2nd ice.
I say travel to the ice....but most wait for "The Chain" in Antioch to freeze up again.
What a waste of time!
I'm thrilled to hear that all the ice out there held up and I'll be joining all you River Rats soon!

Offline buypolaris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Ice fishing has been pretty decent all year at the south lake in Sabula, evening when the decent fish weren't bitting you could still catch the small ones. We have been fishing the Fill's across the railroad bridge quite a bit but only had one good day. You can really get into some huge crappie over there when there hitting. Barge lake has been pretty dead, not much water out there, tried in front of the new boat ramp a couple times were it was dredge out but had no luck, I am thinking if someone would put some structure in there when the ice is going out it could be good in years to come.  Ice should be real good after this weekend, don't think I am going to be out at all thought. Good Luck

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:54 PM »
south lake at sabula...does anybody know if mohawk al+ others, like myself can ride the quads to fish,if we put in at the boat ramp,by the campgrounds?thanks

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:15 PM »
Where is this fishery at? I would love to give it a try for perch. I currently live in Davenport and fish the Miss. for eyes from the boat but have beeen ice fishing the Iowa Great lakes area my hole life for perch and walleyes in NW Iowa. I just got back from fishing there for three weeks and would live to do some good perch fishing around here. Didn't know there were quality perch like that around here. any info would be greatly appreciated! It would beat the 6 hour drive back to my dads in Okoboji. I fish a small lake SE of IGL back by my dads and catch nice 12+ inch perch there each winter. I would love to give this area a try.
Thanks

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:44 AM »
Yes you can use a quad at south lake I have done it several times got stopped 2 times by DNR so make sure tags are up to date. Walleyekelly I have family that has a farm in mallard and that is the area of all are aunts spencer algona west bend so where is it you go? Ever fish clear lake or spirit? I am thinking about going out next weekend so I can fish for walleye before the season shuts down on spirit I have herd they are bitting real good right now. Maybe we can get in touch and I will put you on some perch here and you can get me on walleye out there, Grandpa owns like 360 acres crp ground so I go out alot pheasant hunting out there.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:09 PM »
big ron...thanks for the info on the quads,lower sabula lake...I think illinois fishing license is ok for lower lake, as long it is not a inland river or creek,etc...quad registered in iowa..

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2008, 03:23 PM »
I use a Illinois fishing license there I live in Iowa but don't buy Iowa until later in the year I musky fish alot of lakes in IL.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:41 PM »
big ron...green island,sawmill have you tried them this year..are they still letting you to go  over the dike to upper brown? long haul for me to get there.thanks

Offline iowa-cityboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:11 PM »
i would like to find someone to hook up with for short notice fishing, in clinton, sabula, qca, and muscatine area, I travel for work, and never know where I will land, until usually the day I get there.  Any of you flexible enought to fish on a phone call or email?

let me now, this is not a pimp.

larry miller

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:51 AM »
I have never tried those areas I fish Micklesons Spring lake and riverview. Some areas in Iowa Sabula south lake and rock creek I am going to riverview today to see what it looks like.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:07 PM »
I went to mickelson this morning,fished 1.5 hrs....saw about a doz. fish total...about as slow as it gets...straight out from boat ramp...everybody last about 1 hr. then pack up and leave....good clean water..nobody that I talked to did any good...

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:56 PM »
I never have had luck at Micklesons off boat ramp go down the road in front of cabind park in parking lot at end walk out to north of the point of island or about 100 feet out from boat docks you will have around 7 feet water and you should do good.

Has anyone been to south lake in sabula? I am thinking of going there Friday. Also if anyone fishes it have you ever got any saugers or walleye out of the deep hole in the center? I herd people seeing them with a aquavu but did not say if they cought any.

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:48 PM »
I have found fishing was good over weekend and died off on monday no fish being cought any where does anyone watch the pressure? If so what is best cond. to fish around here I have herd rising is good too low the bite is off?

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:59 PM »
big ron.... falling baro. yesterday from 30.1 to 29.5...today 29.5 to  29.2...no expert...but have best luck with a steady reading around 30..

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:07 PM »
That is what I thought sunday me and the wife got are limit on crappies 12" and bigger no small ones watched pressure Monday it fell big time not a bite all day can't wait to see it rise I will be fishing when it does. Thanks for your input.

Offline buypolaris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:08 PM »
were did you have the luck at on the crappie on sunday? We went out to the Bloomfield, Ia area this weekend and we did real good on the bluegill and crappie on the private ponds. I also caught a 8 pound bass on two pound fire line.

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Anyone been out? If so any luck?

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:59 PM »
OK I have a question does anyone fish by what the pressure is at? If so what do you go by for good pressure to bad pressure for fishing? I have herd 29.8 to 30.2 is the best and falling is best but below 28.5 don't go out and above 30.5 fishing will be ok but slow and rising pressure is real bad anyone go by this or what do you go by I have found fishing from east fish bite the least and from the west they bite the best.

Thanks for any help I can get Big Ron

Offline buypolaris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:35 AM »
I beleive you are right with the Pressure between that the fish bite the best right around 30.0. We were in southern iowa on sunday and in the morning the pressure was right at 30 and the fish were bitting like crazy, late morning it started dropping pretty fast and they started to really slow up. Big Ron are you the fellow that is always fishing the brush piles in the summer in the middle lake with waders? Any body been brave enough to take a 4 wheeler down to lanesville and try to get on the crappie yet?

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:08 PM »
I beleive you are right with the Pressure between that the fish bite the best right around 30.0. We were in southern iowa on sunday and in the morning the pressure was right at 30 and the fish were bitting like crazy, late morning it started dropping pretty fast and they started to really slow up. Big Ron are you the fellow that is always fishing the brush piles in the summer in the middle lake with waders? Any body been brave enough to take a 4 wheeler down to lanesville and try to get on the crappie yet?

Where is lanesville? I could not stand in middle of lake with waders on there is 11' to about 24' of water I'm not that tall.. LOL

Offline buypolaris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:40 AM »
The middle lake not the south lake. The middle lake is on your right hand side as you are coming into Sabula across the causeway from the bait shop. (by Driscoll's island)
Lanesville is the slought that takes you up to Browns lake!!! Usually hear people doing real good up there. but it is one hell of a walk if you don't have a quad.

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:41 PM »
The middle lake not the south lake. The middle lake is on your right hand side as you are coming into Sabula across the causeway from the bait shop. (by Driscoll's island)
Lanesville is the slought that takes you up to Browns lake!!! Usually hear people doing real good up there. but it is one hell of a walk if you don't have a quad.

OK I always herd of Driscoll's Island and never been to browns but know where it is. I have a friend that used to go to browns and the DNR is now giving tickets for taking a quad to browns I was told this from a friend he said this is because kids was out there last year going all over government ground so the DNR said no more quads sad how kids ruin it for everyone..

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:28 PM »
I am looking to get a marcum lx-1 flasher anyone know where I can get the best deal store or online?? Or a site where I may find a used one other than ebay??

Offline iowawaterfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:53 AM »
Those brush piles buypolaris is talking about are on the right side of the causeway going into Sabula.  They are probably 20 yards out from the bank and in 4 to 5 foot deep, so you are able to wade close enough to jig the brush piles with a decent length pole.  The same guy is always fishing the piles in the summer and fall.

As far as taking quads onto Browns Lake, I'm pretty sure it is still legal.  They still have the ATV path going from the 5th ditch in Green Island to Browns. I know as long as you have your quad registered and stay on the ice in Browns you are legal.

Went out last night to the south lake in Sabula for a little crappie fishing, but it did not turn into a very productive night.  The ice was not the best.  It had a layer of ice on the top and then 2 to 3 inches of slush and then probably 6 inches of ice.  I ended up breaking through up to my knee close to the bank. I'm hoping the ice will hold up, allowing for a few more trips out.

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2008, 03:07 PM »
The brush piles that was being asked about no I would not fish them due to no safe ice there it is usually open water there.

Offline dubiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:06 PM »
Anyone heard any reports from the browns area? Heading down tomorrow and was just wondering if anyone had heard anything on how the bite has been down there. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.