Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Eastern Iowa First Ice  (Read 8453 times)

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eastern Iowa First Ice
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Congrats on the bluegills!  3.5-4.5" of ice in my Wapsi spots.  Excited to go out on Wednesday.  Thinking about heading up to Clinton/camanche if anyone is out and around.  I'm not great with water west of the Mississippi either, however I'm willing to make an appearance and learn some new tricks if everyone wants to have an outing. 

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11:55 AM »
I should be free to fish Wednesday. Shoot me a pm and we can set something up. I have a few spots that should be safe for sure.

Offline OutdoorMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Went out Monday, had 3.5 of ice caught a hand full of gills and some northern.

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2016, 12:27 PM »
I checked lost grove lake this morning. I found 4" of solid clear ice in most spots on the west end and south side. I plan on fishing this lake Monday or Tuesday. I also check a few mississippi river backwaters which were tore up pretty good with the river level swings. There were people fishing though. I plan to avoid the river until the level settles out. If anyone is interested in fishing Monday or Tuesday let me know.

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Should have taken your poll!

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2016, 05:21 PM »
It was mostly just a scouting mission. I have to work nights the next couple days so I needed some sleep hopefully they are biting when I get out there.

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Any chance you laid eyes on sunfish lake or o'learys?

Offline SC24NGC

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rather be fishing
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2016, 04:30 PM »
WENT TO THE SMALL LOST GROVE LAKE THIS MORNING. CAUGHT A COUPLE GILLS. NOTHING OF ANY SIZE. BUT IT WAS NORMAL SIZE FOR LOST GROVE LAKE. HAD ABOUT 5 INCHES OF CLEAR ICE. IT WAS SUPER COLD. GLAD I HAD THE HUT. LOTS OF FISH WERE SHOWING UP ON THE VEX BUT THEY WEREN'T SUPER ACTIVE. HOPING THE MISSISSIPPI STARTS TO LEVEL OUT SO I CAN HIT UP SMITH ISLAND IN LECLAIRE. WAS WONDERING ABOUT SOME WAPSI BACK WATER AREAS. IVE FISHED ROCK CREEK BEFORE BUT HAVE NEVER DONE WELL THERE. IF ANYONE IS WILLING TO SHOW ME AROUND UP THERE ID BE WILLING TO MEET UP THERE. ONCE THE MISSISSIPPI LEVELS OUT MORE ID BE WILLING TO LET SOMEONE JOIN ME IN MY BACK WATER SPOT IN LECALIRE. I NORMALLY CATCH GILLS AND CRAPPIE. CAUGHT SOME PERCH LAST YEAR.

Offline SC24NGC

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rather be fishing
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2016, 05:40 PM »
I DID NOT REALIZE IT DID NOT FLUCTUATE WITH THE RIVER. THAT IS GOOD TO KNOW. EVERY TIME I GO OUT THERE IM USUALLY THE ONLY OE FISHING THERE. UT THAT IS DURING THE WEEK SINCE I WORK AFTERNOONS AND WEKEENDS. ONCE IN A WHILE THERE WILL BE ONE OTHER PERSON FISHING THE AREA.

HAVE YOU EVER FISHED ANYTHING OTHER THAT GILLS AND CRAPPIE THERE? I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANY OTHER FISH IN THERE BESIDES THE OCCASIONAL BASS AND PERCH. MAYBE A NORTHERN? WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING A TIPUP IN A HOLE TO SEE IF ANYTHING WOULD BITE ON A MINNOW. 

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:26 PM »
This LeClair canal must be the shaded area that people can ice fish into May in eastern Iowa. May have to go here this spring when everyone else is mowing their lawns and picking asparagus.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:19 PM »
While i have not targeted them in the winter, there are pike and walleye in there as well. As well as yellow and white bass.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:48 AM »
Let's not read too far into his statements, he's not saying anything you're thinking. SC24NGC, please turn your caps lock off, it looks like you're yelling, haha.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Let's not read too far into his statements, he's not saying anything you're thinking. SC24NGC, please turn your caps lock off, it looks like you're yelling, haha.

Not reading anything into his statements;
"Best fishing there is first and last ice when the lazy people cannot walk across."
That is why I asked him to elaborate.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:15 AM »
its quite a haul.  no easy task to get over there.  people willing to make the walk are rewarded, just most people don't. 

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:27 AM »
its quite a haul.  no easy task to get over there.  people willing to make the walk are rewarded, just most people don't. 

Exactly.

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:28 AM »
I fished sabula this morning and caught a few small perch. I have heard reports of safe ice on Lake Mcbride. Can anyone verify this? I'm interested in heading down if it has a decent amount of safe fish able ice.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Kevin,

I don't understand your statements, please elaborate.  What changes occur that allow everyone to walk out at some point in time?  What prevents "lazy" people from walking out on early ice?  I would think early ice would have less snow and be easier to walk.

Are you confusing "lazy" folks with those that are older and no longer able to do some of the things they did when in their prime?  If so, I hope you certainly never have to personally deal with that problem.

The middle freezes late due to water being pulled through there. Walking across is maybe a 500 yard walk, walking the island out is just over 1.25 miles each way. The people who are willing (or able i guess) to walk the island out are usually rewarded with great fishing and maybe 1-2 other guys. Once the whole thing freezes up, there will be 20 guys sitting in "the hole", after a couple days of that its down to catching 7-8" crappies hoping for a good one.

Early bird gets the worm.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2016, 01:14 PM »
Besides being "willing" one also has to be "able".  Being unable to make the journey does not make a person "lazy" as Kevin chose to label folks.

Again, I think you're taking offense and reading too far into things. We'll go ahead and close this part of the conversation out before it gets out of hand.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2016, 01:50 PM »
If you see a man pulling a plywood box around out there, that is Mark. I believe last year he said he was in his 80's. He walks the island out early and late. Strike up a conversation with him, he is a very nice guy and I am sure he will help you. He only fishes for crappies using spoons and plastics.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Looks like a few posts have been deleted.  I was going to go ice fishing this afternoon but I'm too lazy to hook up the 4 wheeler.

Offline Amo52732

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:08 PM »
I'm fairly new to ice fishing looking to learn a couple sweet slab and walleye spot a near clinton or the quad cities. Thanks in advance

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:47 PM »
So why so many deleted posts, i wanted to respond to Kevin23 on the post on how a area of water doesn't respond to flood or drought.  He stated this LeClair area is always the same depth no matter the conditions. Also if a person responds to a post does the person keep the number of posts even if it gets deleted at a later time?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:18 PM »
So why so many deleted posts, i wanted to respond to Kevin23 on the post on how a area of water doesn't respond to flood or drought.  He stated this LeClair area is always the same depth no matter the conditions. Also if a person responds to a post does the person keep the number of posts even if it gets deleted at a later time?

The area in question is at the bottom of a pool (pool 14), and thus does not fluctuate unless they raise or lower the pool level- which they rarely ever do at 14.. and if they ever do raise/lower the pool level, it is by less than 6" over a week span. The top ends of the pools rise and fall daily, but the bottom ends stay the same year around. The statement of staying off of the backwaters due to fluctuating river level is very spot on, the river is going crazy right now due to ice jams which can cause air pockets below the ice (there is a warning on the DNR website currently to stay off the upper backwaters).. but this particular spot is not included.

I fish the canal when the river is in major flood stage and it is still the same level that it is during our winter droughts.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Had 5-6" on my pond Saturday, no size to my gills but it was great to knock the rust off! Gonna hit some more local ice next weekend

Catchin' Fish

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:18 PM »
This is in answer to wmcox about safe ice @ McBride. There is fishable ice @ McBride. On McBride if YOU DON'T WATCH HOW IT FREEZES follow the tracks to the spots.
Not trying to say don't go, but it's a little early to venture off to new areas.

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:06 PM »
I appreciate the response. I'm going to give it a little longer before I make the trip down. Hopefully I can get on a few nice eyes down there when the time comes.

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 30, 2016, 07:56 PM »
How's eastern Iowa looked after the Holiday weekend warm-up? Since then I have heard Palo is still good but haven't been there. I drove by Terry Trueblood / Sand Lake south of Iowa City the other day and saw a shanty out there.

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:28 PM »
There have been people out around the quad cities. I have not been out due to work but a guy I know has been fishing pretty much straight through the warm up and all. He said we never really lost too much ice.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:56 AM »
There has been good ice everywhere ive been.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:40 PM »
I went to Palo today and had 8" at least everywhere. Some areas over 9 pushing 10.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.