Author Topic: Auger retrieval ?  (Read 5235 times)

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
Auger retrieval ?
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:48 PM »
Alright, this past weekend, first hole on Monday, and my Nils slips out of my Dewalt, through my home made frisby auger catcher and down 32 feet !  Sad that I can see it on my Aqua View : (
 I went to a hardware store got a magnet and cordage.  Had it to the hole twice ! One little flinch and down it went both times : (Stuck the camera back down and nothing to be found : (  I have friends that will drill more holes and hopefully retrieve it
  Let's hear what you have done ?  Pictures of contraptions for the next time .
Thanks in advance

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Auger retrieval ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:55 PM »
Next time use a wooden auger catcher,  no likely to split in the cold.

Offline Ponky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Same thing happened to me a few years back...it seems my Jiffy qwik connect also means qwik disconnect...luckily I was only in 10 ft of water....I have s shaped metal rods to anchor my ice cube down on very windy days so I attached one to the rope off my sled and went fishing...amazingly after a few minutes I "hooked"my auger and pulled it up...even more amazing I hooked it at the cutting end and could reach down thru 12 "of ice and retrieve it...if I hooked it anywhere else I wouldn't be  able to manipulate it to pull it up thru the hole...I did change the connect to a bolt...cheers !

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Alright, this past weekend, first hole on Monday, and my Nils slips out of my Dewalt, through my home made frisby auger catcher and down 32 feet !  Sad that I can see it on my Aqua View : (
 I went to a hardware store got a magnet and cordage.  Had it to the hole twice ! One little flinch and down it went both times : (Stuck the camera back down and nothing to be found : (  I have friends that will drill more holes and hopefully retrieve it
  Let's hear what you have done ?  Pictures of contraptions for the next time .
Thanks in advance

Had that happen to me last time i was out with my kdrill. Luckily i was able to get my arm down the hole and snag if before it was lost. Was over 80 fow so would have been a tough retrieval indeed. Hope you're successful soon! Maybe try to cut a larger hole in the ice?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Gonna be tough to get it up a same size hole. If you can locate it I'd find someone with a 10" to give you a fighting chance. I'd also have a gaff at the hole to either secure it better or help steer it into the hole. A stronger magnet also helps.

Good Luck!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:54 PM »
I mag fish all the time.a regular magnet is weak and slightest jiggle will make it come off the auger.get a decent size neodymium magnet.i can lift a pedal bike with one the size of a half dollar.my big harbor freight mag is 10 times bigger and cant lift near as much.ive lifted fence post filled with mud out of the rivers with a neodymium magnet.also called rare earth magnet.

Offline Deadbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:38 PM »
I've seen tis before.  Auger was able to be snagged and retrieved with a 7/0 treble hook. good luck

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:48 PM »
I mag fish all the time.a regular magnet is weak and slightest jiggle will make it come off the auger.get a decent size neodymium magnet.i can lift a pedal bike with one the size of a half dollar.my big harbor freight mag is 10 times bigger and cant lift near as much.ive lifted fence post filled with mud out of the rivers with a neodymium magnet.also called rare earth magnet.

X2 - these are what you need. VERY strong.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:59 AM »
Had that happen to me last time i was out with my kdrill. Luckily i was able to get my arm down the hole and snag if before it was lost.
Doesnt the Kdrill have a foam collar so it will float??

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:11 AM »
Doesnt the Kdrill have a foam collar so it will float??

It does but I believe it could dunk under enough to get trapped under the ice if the ice is thin??

My neighbor just bought one and I had it drop off the drill and into the hole and I was able to grab it before the floatation even hit the water but it got us both wondering.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Billboy66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:12 AM »
the reason I got the Eskimo pistol bit, first day slipped off and stopped right at the hole.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Clam plate

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:27 AM »
Clam plate
I was on the fence about weather I needed a plate for my drill setup! Found a great deal and got off the fence. Even with the plate I check my chuck every couple of holes just because. Anyway was out Tuesday and heard some wild laughter. Looked over and saw one guy standing with a drill in his hand and his buddy pointing to the clam plate on top of the hole he had just drilled.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Drill fell off clam plate?how?even if chuck came loose the handle is  still bolted on.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:57 AM »
Drill fell off clam plate?how?even if chuck came loose the handle is  still bolted on.

Had to have been a loose bolt.

I was on the fence about weather I needed a plate for my drill setup! Found a great deal and got off the fence. Even with the plate I check my chuck every couple of holes just because. Anyway was out Tuesday and heard some wild laughter. Looked over and saw one guy standing with a drill in his hand and his buddy pointing to the clam plate on top of the hole he had just drilled.
Keep it safe! JDL

Your chuck is fine on the plate. Stop checking it. What you do need to monitor is the bolts and wing-nuts that attach the auger to the driveshaft of the plate AND on any extensions being used  Especially the wing-nuts. Those wing-nuts that come with hand augers are all garbage. Super soft metal. Much softer than the auger. The torque on these drills we use is torture on those wing-nuts. If you still want piece of mind, I’d check the wing-nuts after 5 or so holes until you learn how it holds. Having said that, the bolt that comes with the plate is a nice bolt that I’ve never had issues with and honesty haven’t checked since I put it on 3 seasons ago. I do, however check the wing-nut often.

EDIT: Just checked the bolt on my plate and apparently it takes 3 seasons to loosen. Tightened that bad boy and now I’m good for another 3 seasons.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:09 AM »
we lost our lazer in 16'.  chainsawed about a 20x20 hole and dropped a huge magnet from amazon down and it came up. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:25 AM »
X2 - these are what you need. VERY strong.

Yah you can get them from old computer hard drives.  VERY strong.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:27 AM »
I switched to a threaded adapter, and replaced the Lazer wing-bolt with an M6 Socket Head Cap Screw, which is a high grade bolt, loc-tighted in place and wrapped in tape for good measure. I can't understand why people still use the drill chuck to hold their auger on. Replacing the chuck with a threaded adapter is not that hard, and if you put your chuck away for the winter, it is not all rusty when you put it back on in the spring.
Quick connect anything is also quick dis-connect.

:tipup:

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Thanks for the info!  Looking back, I should have made a bigger hole with my chisel to retrieve.  Oh well, AND put a better way of making sure it doesn't go down the hole AND check the chuck twice.   This pushed me faster pick up an '8" Eskimo pistol bit. and an extra set of blades.   I'll be running my 20 volt DeWalt with it.   Won't get as many holes, but much bigger hole to work with.  Compared to the Nils, it feels cheap, hope it lasts !

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:36 AM »
It does but I believe it could dunk under enough to get trapped under the ice if the ice is thin??

My neighbor just bought one and I had it drop off the drill and into the hole and I was able to grab it before the floatation even hit the water but it got us both wondering.

It does, however im not sure how effective it is in keeping the device buoyant, and i wasnt about to wait to find out haha. when it came loose, i had most of the auger shaft in the water as i was being lazy and was blasting some water out of the hole so i didnt really have to ladle much. When it fell off, it dunked completely under the water initially. i reached down to grab it and my hand slipped off of the foam which pushed it down further. Started to drift outside of the cut hole under the ice so i went in elbow deep after it. That's why you dont wear cotton on the ice!! All the hiking and backpacking in Boy Scouts paid off for me there. This was early in the day too but i was able to remove the wet layers and get them to dry off within the hour.

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:56 AM »
I have a lazer auger with a 10 inch plate and has fallen out of drill a # of times and just sits on hole

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:36 PM »
Yah you can get them from old computer hard drives.  VERY strong.

They do a fantastic job pinching fingers!!!🤣🤣

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:18 PM »
Locate it with your camera and then chisel out a hole like a spearing hole! Why fight it through a small hole?
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:22 PM »
drill 2-3 holes, fish it up, get your hands wet, call it a day. ;)

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2020, 05:04 PM »
You guys with nils augers....also check you blade heads, check the nut on the bolt that keeps the head on the auger...my buddy lost his head (auger head) down the hole. He drilled number of gold that day then the last hole...after going through he went to drill the next hole but saw what happened, that was with a hand auger.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:06 PM »
just replace that uv rotted frisbee

get yourself a white poly cutting board at walmart and cut into a circle

it will last until the dinosaurs return. 🐢

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Locate it with your camera and then chisel out a hole like a spearing hole! Why fight it through a small hole?
This x2, I was just thinking about this earlier.  Cut a 2' x 3' spear hole and fish it out. Maybe get a frabill boat net to put underneath while you fish it out with the magnet.

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2020, 08:50 AM »
My friends tried it this weekend with the bigger hole and magnet.  Came up 0.  I'll try Friday with the camera, and some extra  magnets.  It will be for sale when I get it.

For sale, 6" Nils auger with  handle, and an adapter to fit a 1/2" drill chuck.   Comes with an extra 6" head, too.  Just needs a plate so it doesn't go through the hole again  ::) ::)
TBC!

Offline Tomar257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Huh, sorry to hear your misfortune. My hand cranker is still working fine..................

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2020, 08:33 PM »
Mark the location with GPS and scuba dive for it next summer.

I retrieved mine by using 1/2" pvc pipe. Looped string thru the pipe. Think dog catcher's noose. Used a camera to locate the auger and slipped the noose around the end. PIA but it worked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.