Author Topic: circle hooks for perch  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
circle hooks for perch
« on: Mar 01, 2005, 02:22 PM »
Hi everyone,
 Has anyone ever used circle hooks for perch? I have and found them to be great. I used the small bleeding bait circle hooks and the fish just attacked them, this was shallow open water fishing at the time. I didn't even bait it just wiggled it and the flash and color attracted them, though I would recommend some bait for scent.

Water Wolf

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: circle hooks for perch
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2005, 03:55 PM »
That's all I use on my tip-ups for catching all species.  Usually get them in the corner of the mouth.
Ken                                          

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Yup used the same bleeding bait circle hooks on tip ups and they work great.  Always hook them in the corner of the mouth and havent had one get off since i started using them.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2005, 02:33 PM »
Neat to see them used for multi species of fish, even pike with there hard mouths are caught by a circle hook. Bean and fish boy, do you use bleeding bait hook exclusively? That color your fav? :tipup:

Water Wolf

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2005, 09:13 PM »
Bean and fish boy, do you use bleeding bait hook exclusively? That color your fav? :tipup:

Water Wolf
As of right now I still have some regular(non-colored) circle hooks on a couple tip-ups, but the other tip-ups have the bleeding circle hooks on. I've been doing some experimenting with different hook color and spinner blade combinations on my tip-ups. Some days the bleeding hooks do better than others, but not always. Just my findings so far.
I think if I was starting from scratch, I would probably have them on all my tip-ups.
Ken                                          

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2005, 08:23 PM »
That's all I use on my tip-ups for catching all species.  Usually get them in the corner of the mouth.

Yeah, I've been using them this season too, but I've only hooked up on 1 fish. What size/brand are you using? BTW, the fish WAS hooked in the corner of his mouth. Also, circles are my ONLY hooks in my striper tackle box.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2005, 02:33 PM »
I caught the perch on VMC's red sport circle hooks #6. They to were hooked in the corner of the mouth. It took me a while not to set the hook hard. I found it better to just give a slight pressure by reeling up a bit and they hooked themselves. :)

Water Wolf

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2005, 02:35 PM »
Water Wolf- Yup only use bleeding bait series circle hooks.  Before them I didnt use circle hooks, but I definatly do notice more flags when I have the bleeding bait hooks.

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2005, 02:57 PM »
I caught the perch on VMC's red sport circle hooks #6. They to were hooked in the corner of the mouth. It took me a while not to set the hook hard. I found it better to just give a slight pressure by reeling up a bit and they hooked themselves. :)

Water Wolf

I've been using Eagle Claw size number six on my tip-ups, but I think I need to change where  I hook the bait because when I hook the minnows near the rear dorsal fin, my hook-up percentage is 0%.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:01 PM »
God Bless the Circle Hook. "It's not just for saltwater fishing anymore"

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:18 PM »
God Bless the Circle Hook. "It's not just for saltwater fishing anymore"

I hear that- I've yet to miss a striper when using a circle. The beauty is that all they have to do is eat and run then I pick up the rod and start reeling!

Offline pan fish nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2005, 09:04 PM »
 ??? Where can I order some red ones? I live in southern Ohio and not many shops carry ice tackle down here so I will have to mail order them. Also I have heard you do not set the hook. How do you get the hook to penertraite there jaw?

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2005, 07:56 PM »
They work with fish for passive presentations such as deadsticking or tip ups. However I think perch have too small of mouths for circles to work effectively, especially knowing the way perch nip things. However they might be worth a try, as when you are using standard hooks with your perch jigs, you barely set the hook when perch fishing.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2005, 01:29 PM »
I started using circle hooks this past spring for perch, crappie and trout.  I must say I have been pleasantly surprised during the soft water season.  I hook crappie minnows just behind the dorsal fin under a pencil style slip bobber and haven't had any problems hooking up.  Like others I found that I got more hook ups by just applying steady pressure and reeling in instead of snapping the rod to set the hook.  I find that I'm missing far fewer strikes than before.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2005, 01:37 PM »
While longlining for Halibut in the Gulf of Alaska, we switched to circle hooks. The "J" hooks would be half empty, and the circle hooks had a fish on every hook. They worked well and I tried them for perch on Lake Erie. They caught fish, but I still like a #6 snelled gold carlisle  hook because it doesn't do much damage to the emerald shiners we use for bait.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline rainbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2005, 02:25 PM »
love circle hooks  8) 8) have caught 4 perch over 14" biggest being 14.5   bring on the ice  8) 8)

Offline jigmasterjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2005, 04:30 PM »
i only use circle hooks for all my fishing except deep sea now, started this year freshwater couple years ago for stripers. Ive had really good success with them after I learnt not to try and set the hook.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2005, 03:16 PM »
I think that this year I will change all of my tip-up hooks to circle hooks. last year I had them on three of my five tip-ups and did not loose one fish with them...I wish I could say the same for my other two tip-ups
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.