Author Topic: Burbot mounts.  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Burbot mounts.
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Hi guys,

Do any of you have any burbot mounts either skin or replica?
If so, do you mind taking a photo of them?

I have never really seen anyone mount one but it must be done. :-\

I have also heard that it hard to do a burbot skin mount since the skin is really oily and the paint don't stick to it.

Any thought from the taxidermist on here on this subject? ???

WW

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Burbot mounts.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:05 PM »
I have had plenty of trout/salmon done, but never a burbot. I asked about it once and was told that there are very few taxidermists that will do them because their skin is so fine/delicate. A reproduction mount might be an option? You'd have to call around to a few local taxidermists. ;)

fbksmtnman

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:37 AM »
Ive seen a few mounts up here but not sure what kind they are.  I know getting a reproduction is expensive, at least in AK.  I caught a very large one and they charge by the inch, a 40 inch fish is expensive that way, way more than I'm willing to pay!!  About 6 years ago I think they wanted 20-30 dollars an inch for the airbrush  ($20*40inches=New Auger, Sled, and Popup)

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:34 PM »
I just started taxidermy and learned fish late last year. I have mounted a few perch, a largemouth bass, a 10 inch grayling and a bunch of trout. I was really curious if you could mount burbot and asked my instructor and he said they were oily. I'm going to be hitting up lake of the woods here in mid march and I hope to hook one so I can try to mount it, even if it's a "smaller" fish. Catfish are really oily, but mountable. I'm in Colorado and we don't really have any burbot to catch that isn't 5-6 hours from Denver. I'm super excited to go and knock some dead!!!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2012, 04:44 PM »
i've seen some burbot mounts up here in alaska, they looked pretty dull though, with one exception.  Beautiful mount of about an 18 pounder.  It must have been a fiberglass reproduction, but it looked totally real.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:42 PM »
I have talked to a few taxidermists about this and everyone has said the same thing, they are very difficult to do and most people won't do skin mounts and replica's are the best way to go. Which works out for me because I would rather release a trophy and get a replica than kill it and have a slim chance it will turn out nice.

Offline Outdoors4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Josh Knuth does awesome work. I have seen pics of a burbot he did a replica of and I have never seen another guy paint as well as Josh.

http://www.knuthart.com/

He does not have it on his website but you can see other work he has done.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2012, 02:03 PM »
 A local guy here has a decently sized one in his shop that looks really good.   
Chris Raymond

Offline oso polar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2012, 05:02 PM »
This isn't just a burbot mount it's the world record burbot caught in Saskatchewan by the Fishinggeeks.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=152257&highlight=world+record+burbot

I think it looks alright.
with patience and perseverance.......you can pee a hole through a rock.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Finally a photo of an awesome burbot mount, thanks for posting it oso polar.
Man, that big burbot is unreal. :o

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.