Author Topic: Aqua-vu Aiming  (Read 1502 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Aqua-vu Aiming
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:23 AM »
I have an Aqua-vu stealth 4.3 and have a hell of a time aiming the camera to get it to point in the direction that I want it to go.  I'm thinking about marking a line up the cable that I could align to the lens hoping that I would then be able to point the line, on the surface, in the direction i want to see.  Anybody tinkered around with this type of approach or have any other recommendations? 

The next question is if anyone has marked the cable sheath how did you do it so things would actually be in a straight line?  My current best thought is to hook a weight to the camera and then hang the cable out the window of the barn and then to mark away.  Seems like a pain in the ass but I'm not sure how else to get things oriented correctly.

I don't think it would 'bother' the fish any, but it's hard to say. 
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Aqua-vu Aiming
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:33 AM »
I have revolution 5 aquavu. I use the mopod from aquavu. Set up to the proper depth then put on a bigger lure so you can see it under water easily. Spin camera with remote till you see lure. Works good !

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:51 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:03 AM »
Made some mods a couple years back

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309081.msg3308817#msg3308817

Which part of your mods was the biggest lift for aiming?  Pretty sweet rig...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:11 AM »
The rubberball/clamp eye bolt ..goes on a bucket ..the front lip of my flip over . I also use a GoPro style Jaws mount knock off as my actual camera holder ...this clips atop my Vexilar Ultra case...flip over hoop pole .. I also have a Genz Box ..using some self adhesive GoPro style mounts and then use the eyebolt and rubber ball . When scouting point the camera down 45 degs...dont have to go down as far ...quick spin ...note any structure and/or fish and mark that hole and off to the next hole ..I then fish all the marked holes first in my search for fish.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:16 AM »
The rubberball/clamp eye bolt ..goes on a bucket ..the front lip of my flip over . I also use a GoPro style Jaws mount knock off as my actual camera holder ...this clips atop my Vexilar Ultra case...flip over hoop pole .. I also have a Genz Box ..using some self adhesive GoPro style mounts and then use the eyebolt and rubber ball . When scouting point the camera down 45 degs...dont have to go down as far ...quick spin ...note any structure and/or fish and mark that hole and off to the next hole ..I then fish all the marked holes first in my search for fish.

So in terms of aiming the camera you let it settle then rotate the ball to control how much of a turn the camera takes.  Nice solution!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:33 AM »
So in terms of aiming the camera you let it settle then rotate the ball to control how much of a turn the camera takes.  Nice solution!

Exactly ...but MICRO movements ..you will get the hang of it ...another tip take a silver Sharpie and mark the cord ..the first 10 feet in 1-2 foot increments  ..Note I dont know what direction N,S,E,W my camera is pointing ..but if your jigging.. 2-3 feet is from jigging hole to your camera is fine ..pointing the camera up seems best for me ..so its below my bait . My set up in my flip over is a camera hole ..and then a dead stick hole 45deg right for deadstick and 45deg left for my jigging rod .

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318968.msg3357500#msg3357500

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Exactly ...but MICRO movements ..you will get the hang of it ...another tip take a silver Sharpie and mark the cord ..the first 10 feet in 1-2 foot increments  ..Note I dont know what direction N,S,E,W my camera is pointing ..but if your jigging.. 2-3 feet is from jigging hole to your camera is fine ..pointing the camera up seems best for me ..so its below my bait . My set up in my flip over is a camera hole ..and then a dead stick hole 45deg right for deadstick and 45deg left for my jigging rod .

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318968.msg3357500#msg3357500

Nice.  Wish the search feature was easier for me on iceshanty as I probably could have just looked at your earlier threads.  Thanks for replying to this one and sharing the links  ;D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:44 AM »
The GoPro mount comes with a snake arm ..but I dont use it ..

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:10 AM »
clamp and eye bolt interesting

I use the slotted  rubber ball ontop a 2 gallon bucket lid

The lid has a 2” center hole to accommodate the ball setting ontop

The lid is has a slot to get the cord to the center

The lid is sharpie marked like a clock face

The camera cord is placed into the rubber ball slit.  once you have found bottom and raised up a bit

The rubber ball has a sharpie line mark at it’s slit

The lid sets over a hole in the ice 

rotate the ball slightly and allow the camera cord to settle

rotate ball again till your jig comes into view,  note the clock face dial reading

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:41 PM »
I looked at the mono pod and made my own handle aiming unit.  Used a length of steel rod bent it in S pattern to hold the cable of the camera, dipped it in rubber coating , then welded two washers as spacers to slip on to the floor panel, bent the top into a handle , used two corks from my wifes wine bottles for handle material with some epoxy.
Drop the camera orientate it to wards your lure, hook the cable in the S and set the floor plate down .

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:46 PM »

This is what I use. Just a bucket lid with a slot cut to the center and an old drawer handle zip tied to it. Drop to the depth I want, wrap the cable around the handle and its easy to spin to make small adjustments. Pretty much everyone carries a bucket anyway.
*edit* I think the key is not picking the mount up off the ice. Lifting and falling causes spinning and just makes it harder to find your jig.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:14 PM »
I had many of the problems locating lure listed here.................. .setting the camera to down view cured them all.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2021, 11:39 AM »
I ran out of time to rig something up before we went out this past weekend and ended up just wrapping the cable around the scoop handle and putting it across the hole.  This way I could kind of aim it and move the head unit around without screwing up the view. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.