Author Topic: Opinion on new hub shanty for family  (Read 4252 times)

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Opinion on new hub shanty for family
« on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:53 PM »
Hey guys,

I've always loved using a flip over shanty and currently am REALLY liking my Jason Mitchell Thermal-X.  However, I have 2 young boys that are probably going to start to fish very soon.  My oldest probably this year.  I am starting to look into the hub style shanties as I am going to need the room.  Right now, I am considering the Clam X-400 or X-600.  From what I can see, they're the same shanty except the 600 is obviously bigger.  What I dont want is getting the 400 and finding out its too small, and also dont want to get the 600 and find out its overkill and the 400 would have worked just fine.  I figure 4 holes + 1 for the flasher (5 total holes), a heater, and gear. 

I have never used a hub style shanty a day in my life so I have no experience with them.  From what I can see, they appear to set up and take down very easily.  The only reason I am considering maybe going for the 600 is even if it is bigger than I need, it may be worth it for extra holes or even taking an extra person, or if me and my buddies go and now all the people are adults instead of half adults/half kids.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice as far as what direction I should go?

Thanks!

Offline davearnold5511

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Opinion on new hub shanty for family
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:27 PM »
I personally recommend Otter brand. I just bought the Otter Resort 6 sided hub. Heavier poles, 100+ ft sq fishable area, thermal quilt, only 53 lbs. Every shortcoming of previous hubs are fixed in this model. Outer skirt anchor points, downforce straps, 2 zipper doors so there is no stress on seams, pass through flap for propane hose, and I could go on. Bought mine for $500 and its well worth it. Never worry about going too big, with gear and going in and out, you will appreciate the room.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:31 PM »
I personally recommend Otter brand. I just bought the Otter Resort 6 sided hub. Heavier poles, 100+ ft sq fishable area, thermal quilt, only 53 lbs. Every shortcoming of previous hubs are fixed in this model. Outer skirt anchor points, downforce straps, 2 zipper doors so there is no stress on seams, pass through flap for propane hose, and I could go on. Bought mine for $500 and its well worth it. Never worry about going too big, with gear and going in and out, you will appreciate the room.

I had terrible luck with my Otter flip-over, and always had great luck with every Clam I've had, so I guess thats why I was looking at the Clam models.  However, doesnt mean I am boycotting Otter or anything like that, and will certainly look at the Otter Resort.  Is it a quick setup?  Warm?  This shanty will be used with young kids so I have to make sure I keep it warm and can set it up fairly quick to get them out of the elements. 

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this model, I will definitely look into it.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:59 PM »
The X400 is a 4 sided hub house that is 8' X 8' and the X600 is a 6 sided hub house that is 11.5 feet across wall to wall. Both of them give you the option to add the add on floor if you choose to. I personal have a X600 and really like it.   here is the link for the X400 :  https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/x-400-thermal-hub-shelter.html    here is the link for the X600 : https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/x-600-thermal-hub-shelter.html   here is the floor for the X400 : https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-shelter-removable-floors.html#181=394  here is the link for the X600 : https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-shelter-removable-floors.html#181=395  another size option is the Jason Mitchell X5000 Hub House it is a 5 side house that is 9.5 feet across. it also has a optional floor for it.  this is the link for the X5000 floor : https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-shelter-removable-floors.html#181=396  here is the X5000 Hub House link : https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/jason-mitchell-x5000-thermal-hub-shelter.html  Clam is out of stock on all 3 of these right now but the retailers might still have them in stock so check around with big box stores and local bait shops someone should have these models for sale.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Regardless of brand of hub you decide on check out the new for this year hub accessories that Clam came out with. they have the 2 and 4 place rod holders, shelfs, and rattle reels. these new accessories will work in most brands of hubs. I added this to my X600 and it has really made is nice. on my X600 I have two of the 4 place rod holders, two shelfs, and two rattle reels that I can hook to the hubs when I decide to use the accessories. https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-rattle-reel.html ,   https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-shelf.html  ,  https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-rod-holder-2-position-and-4-position.html#163=547  ,  https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-rod-holder-2-position-and-4-position.html#163=262
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:22 PM »
Thanks Monticatgeek!  I appreciate the help.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:28 PM »
I have a shappell wide house 6500. It fits me, my wife and our 8 year old with plenty of room.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:25 PM »
what ever you get anchor it down good. out them in first. dont ask me how i know.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:09 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!  I think I am narrowing it down to the Clam X600 and the Otter Vortex Resort.  Both appear to be what i am looking for and are about the same price.  Both are hard to find right now though im noticing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:15 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!  I think I am narrowing it down to the Clam X600 and the Otter Vortex Resort.  Both appear to be what i am looking for and are about the same price.  Both are hard to find right now though im noticing.

Good luck with your choice and purchase ..I suggest putting in up and down several times before hitting the ice ..including the anchor set up An anchor tool ..with a drill or speed handle may be in your future .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2021, 02:32 PM »
Good luck with your choice and purchase ..I suggest putting in up and down several times before hitting the ice ..including the anchor set up An anchor tool ..with a drill or speed handle may be in your future .

I agree with you and will definitely be doing that.  Since my last post, I've actually decided to look into the size smaller, which is the X400 and for the Otter the Vortex Lodge.  Upon further review that size just might be big enough for what I am looking to do.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2021, 02:43 PM »
I agree with you and will definitely be doing that.  Since my last post, I've actually decided to look into the size smaller, which is the X400 and for the Otter the Vortex Lodge.  Upon further review that size just might be big enough for what I am looking to do.

Not that familiar with the Clam line up but having a shelter with the bottom kick out ie Eskimo 949i is very good feature .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:21 AM »
I'm throwing another hub into the mix.  We got our son an Eskimo 450i for Christmas.  It is designated as a 4-5 man shanty.  They are 48lbs but most people don't carry hubs anyway and they have more then enough space for 4 people.  If I were you I'd take into consideration of all your gear.  You mentioned taking someone else, besides your kids.  If you are planning on taking 4 or 5 people, I'd go bigger.  We have used his 450i twice now and as far as I'm concerned, it is a great buy.  I especially like the new door design.  Something that will undoubtedly would be a plus for kids.  No risk of tripping trying to get into or out of the shanty.  Just open the door and walk in.  Whatever you decide to do, I would certainly go to one of the bigger stores and go into all the different types.  The only way to really make a good decision is to look at them all set up.  Frank's between Pinconning and Linwood has all of their shanties set up so that you can view them, I'd make a trip there before buying one.  Whichever hub you decide to buy enjoy it and the time you spend on the ice with your kids!

100% agree with you.  Normally I go to Shanty Days, but didnt make it this year.  I prefer to buy from Franks anyways if I can help it.  I guess I never considered the Eskimo lineup.  I will look into those for sure.  Thanks!

Now, if we can just get some good ice for once. 

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:36 AM »
I think it all comes down to what you are sitting on while you are on the ice, how much gear, and how much elbow room you want.  If the 4 of you are going to be sitting on buckets and you don't mind being right on top of one another and the gear is a pole each and a small tacklebox  something like a shapell widehouse 6500 might do the trick.  But if you are using camp chairs it takes quite a bit of tetris to get everyone in and comfortable and you probably aren't going to have your sled and heater in the shanty with you.

When I go out with the family I tend to wander around and hit up the shanty to warm up, so smaller is alright as we are rarely ever fishing in the shanty at the same time. 

I have an eskimo 9416i, which is huge, that I take out when we have a bunch of people going.  That's one that you can very easily have four or 6 people each with 2 holes, but it is a chore to move around, pack up and and setup.  When it is just the four of us I use the eskimo fatfish 949.

Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:52 AM »
Go big or stay home. I have the 9416i and love it, mostly using it for camping 2 people max. I see 4 adults fishing in it comfortably. The little boys will grow up very rapidly. I enjoy more room, there's nothing like being forced to sit and watch your every move as to not knock something over/ disturb dead sticks.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Go big or stay home. I have the 9416i and love it, mostly using it for camping 2 people max. I see 4 adults fishing in it comfortably. The little boys will grow up very rapidly. I enjoy more room, there's nothing like being forced to sit and watch your every move as to not knock something over/ disturb dead sticks.

Two years ago for the last day of the season there were two of us in a Shappell and I ended up with an end of season spike in my beer.  My buddy swears he didn't do it on purpose, but I agree with you:  bigger is definitely better!
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:48 PM »
100% agree with you.  Normally I go to Shanty Days, but didnt make it this year.  I prefer to buy from Franks anyways if I can help it.  I guess I never considered the Eskimo lineup.  I will look into those for sure.  Thanks!

Now, if we can just get some good ice for once.

Since you mentioned the Eskimo 450i, ive been researching it all day.  Technically, been looking at the 450XD, but still..

I plan on going to look at one, but from the looks of it, this looks like exactly what I am looking for.  It is 75 sq ft of room compared to the Clam and Otter (64 sq ft).    The door design is genius.  My son is obsessed with the color red, so i may be forced to buy it anyway lol.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but I really like the looks of this shanty.

Worst case scenario is if I need the extra room at some point, Ill sell this and go bigger.  Wont be the first time.

I appreciate the help guys.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2021, 01:00 PM »

That is great to know!  Thank u for sharing!

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2021, 07:24 PM »
About 5 years ago or so I bought a Cabela's (Clam) 360. That thing is big we had 4 adults and 2 kids inside and there was plenty of room. The zippers for the doors can be a little tricky. I did call tech support and the said to secure the tiedowns almost straight down along side of the shanty, and not like you would do for a tent on land. That did the trick and worked much better. Like someone else said put an anchor in and attach the tiedown strap before you pop the hub. It was a good thing I had my spikes on other wise I would have gone for a ride down Mauch Chunk!!

JG

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2021, 03:39 PM »
Hey guys, quick question to add on to this topic:

I notice some of the bigger hubs like the X600, Eskimo 650XD, and Otter Vortex Resort, all have a length of ~78" when taken down.  How do you guys haul that behind a snowmobile/ATV, along with heater, chairs, etc..   Im assuming something like a jet sled?  Are you able to put a cover on something like that?

Thanks guys

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2021, 04:17 PM »
The 450i hangs out about a foot out of the biggest jet sled they make.  So, I don't think the ones you mentioned will fit in a jet sled either.  Since it hangs out the back, I don't think they make a cover big enough to cover the hub and jet sled.  You would have to make a cover to fit out of a tarp.  I'm not sure if a different company makes a sled bigger then jet sled, you'll have to check on that one.  Hopefully this helps.

For sure helps, thank you!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:01 PM »
I don't think you'll regret the biggest hub you can afford. I have Eskimo 747 I bought when it was just me and the wife. Now I fish with my 3 and 5 year old. It's tight with the 3 of us and no room for the wife. I  contemplating one of the double hubs in the next couple years.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2021, 06:57 AM »
I don't think you'll regret the biggest hub you can afford. I have Eskimo 747 I bought when it was just me and the wife. Now I fish with my 3 and 5 year old. It's tight with the 3 of us and no room for the wife. I  contemplating one of the double hubs in the next couple years.

I was contemplating one of the middle sized ones before, but after reading how you guys recommend going big or going home, ive basically stuck with the idea of getting the bigger one.  Just not sure which one yet.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:08 AM »
ever thought about a yard canopy?  i bought tarps to bungie around the sides, after the legs screwed to ice. just a flap door overlap but cheap.  i use it more as 3side by the fire but could go on ice just same.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Wait too much longer and you'll be searching for camping equipment instead, lol.  Have you gone to Frank's yet, to climb into them to check them out?  If not, that would be my first move.  I would seriously consider the eskimo 450i, plenty of room for your family.

Oh yeah I've been there a couple times.  Unfortunately, they dont have any of the Eskimo 450's or 650s, Clam X600's, or Otter Resorts.  I noticed a few weeks ago that almost EVERY place is out of all the big hub shanties, except a couple websites where I can find an Eskimo Outbreak 650XD.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2021, 03:07 PM »
That's quite a bit bigger then the 450,  You, your family and a couple neighbor kids will fit in it, lol.

Man I just a chance on a 450 at Home Depot too and I waited too long and now theyre out of stock again.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2021, 12:42 PM »
The early bird gets the worm, quit sleeping in, LOL.

I agree.  I kept dragging my feet thinking I don’t need it this year. But realized we’re gonna have better ice than I thought and decided to look into buying one this year and it was too late.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.