New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 134844 times)

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #720 on: Dec 29, 2022, 11:40 AM »
Stupid stupid weather and responsibilities. Won’t be seeing ice until third week of January for me. Ughhhhhhh hope everyone has a great new year
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #721 on: Dec 30, 2022, 06:53 AM »
Nykonsdream...I concur...stupid weather..!

I've got the same thing going on here...I was supposed to fish the next 2 - 3 weekends there at the Pond - or LOTI - anywhere really.  But these temps and incoming rain have cancelled those plans.  End of January I'm headed south for a week to see kids/grandchild...so that put's me on the ice sometime in February.   :-\ Crud !!!

I shared with J-Bogg that I saw fishermen on Whitney Point reservoir on Thursday...some local lakes and ponds too...but I'm still a working man and couldn't get out there while conditions permitted.

So...youz guyz (PondRats) keep this thread populated with updates - if you please.  Anyone fortunate enough to get out this week before the ice sinks?

~ArkAngel

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #722 on: Dec 30, 2022, 09:29 AM »
Yo Larry,
Hope you make it over my friend. Cribbage lessons are free.

Fishing yesterday was great again. Not as good as Tuesday But the weather made up for the reduced bite. There is strength in numbers however and my Anny helped pick up the slack and contributed 5 perch to the bucket.
Got to say , if I can only teach her how to “fillet “, I might have a reliable fishing partner. Start out small by “letting “ her cut out the belly bones.

Note of caution, lost a lot of that granular white stuff on top yesterday. 42 degrees overnight has done nothing to firm up the ice mat. Today’s 50 degrees + will further weaken the ice mat. Concurrent rain and ice melt will will require almost an hour by hour monitoring of your ice access and conditions.

Please be aware and safe out there. No good forecast for the foreseeable future. We may be traveling north again and even up there conditions are becoming iffy.
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #723 on: Dec 31, 2022, 07:52 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

The creeks are starting to run water over the Ice. 1-2” inches of water over the ice at the Blind creek ramp. Took a picture at the Wig-Wam. Water over the ice. Did see 2 fool hardy individuals out of the Wig-Wam. At 8:15 . No ice check from this old guy. It will only get worse as the day and week progresses.

Stay safe and use good judgement. Enjoy your holiday and don’t make work for an EMT or fireman. There is some cooler temps coming.

Happy New Years Eve my friends.
Boggey

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #724 on: Dec 31, 2022, 10:39 AM »
Hey Jim, stopped over and knocked but didn’t get an answer. No worries I’ll catch ya next time have a happy new year and will see ya Probubly next weekend. Big brother Jason got me a birthday gift that we both might enjoy and gonna have it set up between our houses in the spring just gotta install a sillcock or steal your hose lol

Pat

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #725 on: Dec 31, 2022, 12:57 PM »
Yo Pat, no problem. Doing laundry in the back room. Can’t wait to see what your brother bought, but guess I’ll have to eh?

Hope we get to cut some ice soon my friend. Happy New Year, to you and your family. Tell Mom we said hi. Got a bag of perch for her.
Boggey

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #726 on: Dec 31, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Happy New Year Jim. ✌️✌️

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #727 on: Dec 31, 2022, 10:48 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Happy New Year to all

Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #728 on: Jan 01, 2023, 05:02 AM »
Happy New Year Jim

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #729 on: Jan 01, 2023, 08:01 AM »
Happy New Year, Boggey!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #730 on: Jan 01, 2023, 09:54 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Northville, NY

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #731 on: Jan 01, 2023, 02:54 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR POND PEOPLE..!

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline dumouc56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #732 on: Jan 02, 2023, 07:59 AM »
Happy new year all! Looking forward to the ice fishing season(if the weather will cooperate)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #733 on: Jan 04, 2023, 07:31 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Hey is this getting old fast or what? I’m trying to soften the blow by doing some river fishing. Ain’t quite the same. 
Dreary, sunless, rain soaked days are not helpful.

Two of my buds have actually put their boats back in the water. 

My grandkids (6 and 5) years old are due to travel up here from New Orleans in 2 weeks with the expectation of (ice fishing) with Poppy.
Looking at the 10 day, I’m not sure we are going to have any safe ice anywhere for them to fish on or snow to ski or slide on.

Well let’s think positive. Think “cold”. Yo Trap, time to hit the locks my friend.
Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #734 on: Jan 04, 2023, 03:41 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Hey is this getting old fast or what? I’m trying to soften the blow by doing some river fishing. Ain’t quite the same. 
Dreary, sunless, rain soaked days are not helpful.

Two of my buds have actually put their boats back in the water. 

My grandkids (6 and 5) years old are due to travel up here from New Orleans in 2 weeks with the expectation of (ice fishing) with Poppy.
Looking at the 10 day, I’m not sure we are going to have any safe ice anywhere for them to fish on or snow to ski or slide on.

Well let’s think positive. Think “cold”. Yo Trap, time to hit the locks my friend.
Boggey

never left there my old  friend   ;D  to be  honest i rather fish open water any day  ..... but i do want to see  some  flags and   catch  some  teethy  perch  too

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #735 on: Jan 04, 2023, 03:47 PM »
never left there my old  friend   ;D  to be  honest i rather fish open water any day  ..... but i do want to see  some  flags and   catch  some  teethy  perch  too

Yup. Nothing beats watching these take a trip to the back.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #736 on: Jan 09, 2023, 05:26 AM »
Happy Belated Birthday JBoggey!!!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #737 on: Jan 09, 2023, 08:31 AM »
Yo Bruce,
Thank you my friend . Me and Elvis. 😁😁
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #738 on: Jan 09, 2023, 09:05 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Getting lots of calls and PM’s about ice conditions here on the Pond.
I have been hesitant about posting anything noting there are those who would question the veracity of the report.

In no uncertain terms. I am stating, “ the ice is too thin and unstable to support ice fishing activities as of this morning 01/06/23”.
Knowing where to check the ice, I was taking a chance breaking threw the ice ( one foot of water). That being said, As I previously stated, the lengthy warm spell and rain has created a floating ice mat which has separated from the shore. Even checking that ice mat requires Transversing that open area to get to the ice.

I have done an ice check of the existing floating ice mat and can tell you it is only 2 inches thick and it consists only of white granular ice, easily broken through with only several blows from my ice spud. One night of 16 degree weather is not enough to heal that water apron around the Pond.
A couple pictures provided.

Further, I see no weather projections soon to correct that condition either. Hopefully, we can content ourselves with some river fishing or come over to camp and let me whup you in a game of cribbage. I’ll buy the coffee, you bring the doughnuts and a crying towel might come in handy as well.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #739 on: Jan 10, 2023, 07:06 AM »
Next you will want someone to bring their own Cribbage board!!!!! My Dad would have given you a run for your money. The ice over here is the same. Lake is up 5 feet and there has to be 10+ feet open at the shoreline.
Be careful getting those ice reports and good luck with the Cribbage....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #740 on: Jan 10, 2023, 04:49 PM »
Well everyone I have to confess why the ice season is so messed up, I bought a new shanty !

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #741 on: Jan 11, 2023, 09:26 AM »
Yo Doug
Not getting over One fow for ice check. My boots are 18”s. Staying dry and on top 👍.

Our problem is water level is 4’ low. Last night temps were 12 degrees. Bad news. Is rain and warm temps the next 2 days. Seems we can’t catch a break with the weather. Looks like traveling north for the weekend,

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #742 on: Jan 11, 2023, 09:29 AM »
Yo Jigger

Not to worry bud. Come over and I will get the cribbage board out. Heck, you can’t get hurt that bad. A penny a point 😁😁😁😁
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #743 on: Jan 14, 2023, 08:40 AM »
Yes, we have no bananas, but as of 8:30 this morning we had 5-6 inches of ice on the Pond.
That doesn’t mean the entire Pond, but where I accessed it was good. The first step out from shore is that refroze ice, but after that the condition of the ice mat was uniformly solid , 5-6 inches on 3 consecutive holes.

Still open water out near the island. Temps in the teens today and forecast 10 or lower tonight,  and sunshine tomorrow, bodes well , bananas or not.

Still caution entry at Stanley where the ice shrunk away from the ramp. That new ice may not be solid enough to get to the good ice. In any event take extra caution upon entry and as alway, spud spud spud.
Boggey

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #744 on: Jan 14, 2023, 09:42 AM »
Good report. Thanks for the update.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #745 on: Jan 15, 2023, 04:54 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

7 degrees this am (Sunday) morning on the Pond.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #746 on: Jan 15, 2023, 06:25 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Ice check at Stanley state access. Seven whacks with the spud popped through the ice at bottom of ramp. 2”s at best . First machine will destroy the ramp. Same at WigWam. May sustain foot traffic but first machine will destroy ramp access for the next week.

Once you get out on the original ice mat (about 5’ from shore), the ice thickness is 5 to 7 inches thick. Please give the ice one more night to freeze that apron at the access ramps before getting those machines out there. As always bring your spuds and use them. Spud spud spud.
Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #747 on: Jan 15, 2023, 06:36 AM »
thanks  boggey you might see  this ole fart up there  i am  dieing to   put  some  tip ups in  for some  toothy  fish

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #748 on: Jan 15, 2023, 07:47 AM »
Yo trap
I am getting the grand kids dressed at this writing. They need some training to be good fishermen and fisherwoman

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #749 on: Jan 15, 2023, 09:00 AM »
Next weekend next weekend next weekend…………

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.