New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109457 times)

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:49 PM »
I'm only after one fish in that lake - the biggest one!  All the rest are goin home

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:52 PM »
I'm only after one fish in that lake - the biggest one!  All the rest are goin home

can't blame ya, the lakers in that lake taste like garbage anyway, compared to those out of smelt based lakes.   Oh yeah, FYI, if you do catch that big one, you could let it go, they make some great replica mounts of lakers these days.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM »
Agreed, I'm totally on board with the replica approach.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:38 PM »
i was never really into them, but I've seen some real nice ones lately, i would have never believed this one is a replica

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #64 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:06 PM »
WOW that looks more like a Laker than the ones I've caught in real life!  I guess you just gotta know who's really good at doing the replicas and who is not.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:08 PM »
no negativity here Bigred. all in sarcastic humor. lol oh by the way very nice looking laker mount.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Throwing up White all over the place right now!
"Sucks" I really am sick (broncitis) wish I had a case of the white pimples-otherwise I would be right there with you guys.                                    Good luck tomorrow

Bc

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Lance, do you have the taxidermist info on that mount? It is by far, the nicest laker mount I've ever seen! Stunningly lifelike!

Thanks!

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:54 PM »
does anyone have the ice report for otsego lake as of today want to head out inthe morning want to know if it is safe

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Any of you guys headed out tmrw(saturday)? travelin out from westerlo..i guess im just gonna take a chance that i can get on the ice. i was there tuesday been wanting to go back just hopin there will be some other guys out there

Offline oldbikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:31 PM »
When you have 3 posts you can go to the NY Conditions board and read all about it!
 Just got off Otsego after 8 hours today, slow day 4 lakers landed. It was a great day out there though! The fish just did not co-operate!

BIGJim223

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Was just wondering how you the "white pimple attack pack" was making out?

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #72 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:34 PM »
i was never really into them, but I've seen some real nice ones lately, i would have never believed this one is a replica

(Image removed from quote.)

Freakin' gorgeous!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:00 PM »
The lake trout are done by a company called fibretech, they make the best fibreglass mounts I've ever seen.  whoever does their paint is a master

http://www.fibertechproductions.com/gallery.html

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Gorgeous, bookmarked, thanks
Tony

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:20 PM »
The lake trout are done by a company called fibretech, they make the best fibreglass mounts I've ever seen.  whoever does their paint is a master

http://www.fibertechproductions.com/gallery.html

Thanks Bro! Will def use give them a try!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Was just wondering how you the "white pimple attack pack" was making out?

LOL! The conditions were brutal today, sustained winds of 30 mph+ and snow squalls all day. No socializing today just hunkering down in the shanty's! That being said, you saw Big Jim's report, I managed 9 fish and prob lost at least a dozen. Lots of short strikes. Biggest was 7lbs on the Boga. Butch got 3 fish, I  know of at least 3 that The System got and I know of at least one nice one (27") that Ship of Fools got and I know he got more fish but we just couldn't congregate much because of the conditions. He'll have to pipe in and let us know! Despite the crap conditions, the fishing was awesome as usual. The slam of a laker on your jig rod NEVER gets old!

Back at it tomorrow!

Mike

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:37 PM »
Sorry forgot to mention that the ice was 4-5" all around, good clear black stuff! Snow covered patches here n there but good sled pulling. Wouldn't suggest a machine just yet.

Mike

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #78 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:20 PM »
Hell of a day, IF you could tough out the wind!  If I wasn't catching fish I wouldn't have stayed out even as long as I did!  It is SO COOL to see a laker charging up from the murky deeps to SLAM a lure and then get to watch him swirl around from 30' all the way up through the hole.  WAY cooler than watching perch from 8 FOW!  Great seeing all you guys today, but I'm not gonna find a more sheltered place tomorrow.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Just a brutal day! The wind was relentless, total whiteouts from time to time. I have to say I personally had no fun today. The drag out was not too bad, but conditions just went down hill from there! It was a fight just to stay on the ice with the flipover. I worked my way to 130FOW, there were fish down there, but getting them to commit was the trick. I probably hooked 12 fish, got one and that was in my first hole. A lot of chasers for me, but few hitters! Ice was slippery as all get out, fell down once with my sonar in my hand, has not worked correctly since. That has me pi$$ed right off, but what are you gonna do? TheSystem fell 4 times, it was just tough out there. And yes we had creepers on! On the drag back to Glimmerglass, my Smitty Sled actually passed me the wind was so bad!  Not a great day for me!
  Sorry guys, I had food/and beverages with me, just no way to deal with it in the wind. Maybe tomorrow will be better!
Team White Pimple will prevail!

BIGJim223

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #80 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:47 PM »
The Jagermeister is back watch out !!!!!!
Mr.Esox

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:51 PM »
You guys must have been the group I saw out from Glimmerglass today. YES the ice looked good in that area but for the rest of the lake south from there it's pretty much done until the next sub zero freeze. 5 mile point was all open water, NO way to get onto the ice even with planks. 3 Mile gate is locked and the entire shore line is open water. HECK you might do well fishing from shore on 3 mile. lots and I mean lots of open pressure cracks south of glimmer glass. Lots of holes and some the size of in ground swimming pools.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Someone just told me that 3 Mile was locked off. Strange the ice was very good north of 5 Mile, no issues at all. I only measured 1 hole today, measured 5.25" and the bottom of the hole was blown out, so it was probably more like 6". Strange there would be so much open water down south of where we were.

BIGJim223

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Jim does Kelly's deli have 1 lb. LP bottles ?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Jim does Kelly's deli have 1 lb. LP bottles ?

Seems I have seen them there, but not 100% positive.

BIGJim223

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Thanks. I thought I had seen them too.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:59 PM »
After working 16hr shifts all week finally go to the lake and 3 mile is gated off and open water next to shore and 20ft or so out, alot of water showing in pressure cracks between 3 and 5 mile. Decided to drive around the lake and see if there was fishing anywhgere and i did see u guys out, or should i say coming in. Me and the girlfriend will be out tomarrow ill b the one pulling the 2 man clam, hope to meet some of you guys. Was suprised to c open water as its been cold, but after last yr ill take fishing anywhere on Otsego

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #87 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Look out for Esoxman he is the Great Laker Taker !!!!!!
Mr.Esox

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:23 PM »
be out tommorow vex is charged ready to go look for 2 clam nanooks that will be me  havent been down in over 2 years im itching!

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Nice to see some of you guys had luck today in the miserable conditions. Props for going out. Good luck to all this weekend.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.