Author Topic: small black spots all over a pike  (Read 4703 times)

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
small black spots all over a pike
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 01:41 PM »
went fishing saturday, caught seven pike, nothing too big, but one of my pike (probably 24'') had black spots all over it, these were small spots, probably about the size of a sesame seed.  I released the fish, but had not seen something like that before and it was not on any of my other pike.  The fish did look like it had been bit by something larger as it had some scars on its back... i figure they are probably some kind of parasite but was wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like this and if it is something to be concerned about healthwise for the fish

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: small black spots all over a pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:06 PM »
They are small parasites that supposedly don't harm the fish, and are safe to eat when cooked properly.  The scar you speak of is probably from a Lamprey.  These are common on pike from Lake Champlain.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:17 PM »
what is a lamprey?
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Hi dkillay64,
What you saw is called Black Spot Disease.
See website for details ----> http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/janfeb06/raw.html

I have caught a few pike over the years with this on them, and caught one with black spot disease this winter a few weeks back.
I always let these fish go, who wants to eat a fish with parasites when there are many healthy ones out there, even if they say it is fit to eat after you cook it. :sick:

buckzone101,
A lamprey is a type jawless fish. Some lampreys with attach themselves to other fish species with their mouth, make a hole in the fish with there teeth, and suck it's blood and fluids. :P

WW

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:30 AM »
So in other words it's a giant leech?
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:09 AM »
So in other words it's a giant leech?
In a sense yes.  I guess they are more along the lines of an eel, but feed like a leech.  They get big too, I caught a pike 2 seasons ago, that had one a little over 3ft on its belly.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Thanks for the response guys... is this something the fish and wildlife should be made aware of?

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:50 AM »
Thanks for the response guys... is this something the fish and wildlife should be made aware of?

They are well aware of it. http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/factsheets/fisheries/fish_health/Black_Spot.pdf

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:07 PM »
alot of the smaller panfish/perch come with these on them in this area (northeastern michigan).   i usually take the fish home and use them for trapping bait. never figured putting them back into the lake/system would cure the problem.  just my opinion.  it's a cycle that needs fishing birds and snails to complete.   seeing we can't shoot the kingfishers/blue herrons/ospreys/eagles or pull all the snail out of the water, we might as well use the infected fish for something. it will never solve the issue just a way to slow it down.   like drowning with a life jacket on. you'll still drown, just takes longer.
big head carp in the great lakes is the same. we will get them like the ruffee and goby. just a matter of time. put on your life jacket and get ready to drown.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.