The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Watch your stuff  (Read 1578 times)

Offline biteme260

• Team IceShanty Regular
Watch your stuff
« on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Be careful out there just witnessed a guy try to steal a tackle bag. Fishing with our backs to the wind another guy came up grabbed a bag and walked off. Luckily it was noticed and he was confronted at his car. Claimed it was just laying there even though an auger and other gear were around it. Hes lucky he didnt choose the wrong guy or there would have been blood.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Watch your stuff
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Thank you for the heads up. People are nuts. For a couple years at Madison they were stealing your boat trailer while you were out on the water. Up north they were siphoning your gas tank. Some folks are shameless...

Care to share a location with us? Lake name or something? That would be helpful!  :thumbsup:

Thanks again!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline biteme260

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Was out on lake monona no reason to be tight lipped about it since there 200 plus a day out there. Believe he had a 90's or early 2000's brown minivans.

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Last year I had  a brain fart and forgot my Vexilar on the lake, about 15 min from home, went back, you know it, it was gone. put adds in papers, posters up everywhere, it never came back home. Not calling anyone a thief, but really surprised I never got a call.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Thanks bitme260. It's that Madison thing. City full of do-gooding lefties and yet there's folks that can't keep their hands offa stuff that doesn't belong to them. I do get over there once in a while. I'll be on full alert.

BTW, that's not the way most of Wisconsin functions. I'll offer my apologies for your experience. Whatcha like to fish for? Might be able to offer an alternative...  ;)2 I know, Mendota for perch and gills plus they got trophy chances at pike and there's some 'eyes there too. Great fishery...

Offline biteme260

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Most guys are generally friendly I left my vex when I had to pee but dont think I will now.

I've always pan fished in indiana we didn't have much. Few lakes had eyes or pike. I really want to get my first eye through the ice and my first pike. Also plan to check out devils lake for trout. I live right next to lake monona  plan to get on mendota for eyes once we get a better freeze.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:23 PM »
You goin' to school here?

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Yes, be care full out there! Now this old timer has been fishing that bay for over 40 years. Not the best part of town, I really try to avoid it, it was much worse years ago and has gotten better. Been fishing the past week, and have met some really nice, help full people! Mostly old timers, great talking with them! I have not hit the bay yet, still poking around other spots in town, we need some cold to get things going!

Offline biteme260

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:33 PM »
Not going to school here transferred for work, plus Im a packers fan so it all worked out.  :P

I've been fishing it for two weeks now no issue till today. The guy who almost lost his stuff was a good guy. Want to check out other spots with less sorting. Wont use real bait there now just use crappie lures for them.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2018, 12:29 AM »
Be careful out there just witnessed a guy try to steal a tackle bag. Fishing with our backs to the wind another guy came up grabbed a bag and walked off. Luckily it was noticed and he was confronted at his car. Claimed it was just laying there even though an auger and other gear were around it. Hes lucky he didnt choose the wrong guy or there would have been blood.
claiming it was just laying there admits to stealing it and he acknowledge it wasn't his or he would have said so. should have reported his plate and vehicle and persons description to the the law.

he will chose the wrong person one day. cops and dnr like to fish too.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:54 PM »
If there's one thing I despise more than another it's a thief. I don't know if even a good beating would cure it though. Might be worth trying.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.