Author Topic: marmosska jigs  (Read 19800 times)

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
marmosska jigs
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 12:30 PM »
anyone had any luck with marmosska jigs.  never used them and want to know your thoughts
>))))))>

Offline BOB/NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
Re: marmosska jigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:17 PM »
Like jammin jigs going to start making my own .Not sure if marms are made with lead watch on jig size big brother likes to grab money for fines.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:28 PM »

We use them all of the time...tipped with maggots and waxies...they work great..I'm preparinig some thin plastic tails to add on them to see how they work..we use green,blaze orange and white..they don't work all of the time just like most lures but when they're hot they're hot..use them for gills and crappies...like them because the sonar shows them real well and they are heavy enough to get down fast and the spring bobbers respond to them real well.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:28 PM »
We use them all of the time...tipped with maggots and waxies...they work great..I'm preparinig some thin plastic tails to add on them to see how they work..we use green,blaze orange and white..they don't work all of the time just like most lures but when they're hot they're hot..use them for gills and crappies...like them because the sonar shows them real well and they are heavy enough to get down fast and the spring bobbers respond to them real well.

Winchester 88
Can you post a picture of them I would like to see one ?

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:42 PM »
Can you post a picture of them I would like to see one ?
Middle row from the left to about 1/3 over.  Love them for gils!  1-2 spikes, different colors.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Thanks for fixing the link for me!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:37 PM »
Great jigs but quality might be slipping a bit. On this years batch I had a hard time finding the hook eye, buried deep in paint. Don't mind cleaning the eye out, it's fairly common, just need to have a hint on where it is. ::)

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:38 PM »

jimmyguns...

Those little gold spoons that you have in the pic in the 3rd row down..where do you get them and do you do any good on crappies with them..? We were doing good with gold colored stuff last week( forage minnows) tipped w/ red maggots.

Thanks...
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline USMarine1171

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:14 PM »
I don't think they are made of lead because they seem a bit lighter.  They are a very well balanced jig in my opinion.  Bought them for my dad and brother this Christmas and rigged their poles and put them in their stockings.  My little brother caught a 34" pike with a marmooska jig tipped with a dead minnow on 6# test.  I like them.  When we were perch fishing he was gettin everything and 0 for me.

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:21 AM »
I love the Marmooska jigs, use them alot.Hve caught some nice gills/crappie on them.I also received the free jigs from I/S sponsor NiSid,they are really nice.You thread the line thru the center and then tie, makes them hang at an angle and gives a great presentation.
IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammichigan.gif[/img][IMG]

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:22 AM »
I believe the name of those jigs are Mormyska(spelling?)
IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammichigan.gif[/img][IMG]

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:23 AM »
jimmyguns...

Those little gold spoons that you have in the pic in the 3rd row down..where do you get them and do you do any good on crappies with them..? We were doing good with gold colored stuff last week( forage minnows) tipped w/ red maggots.

Thanks...
 Winchester 88
Bad lighting on the picture!  I think the ones you are talking about are made by Custom Jigs.  There is paint on the front side, silver on the back.  I'll take a bettert picture of them when I get home tonight.  Have yet to try them.  Don't know if they work or not??

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Thought it was spelled MARMOOSKA, doesn't matter. Wolframs and Diamond Jigs are very similar and a bit heavier for the size.

Offline My Dinghy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Its been my goto jig all year,  I've caught gills, crappies, perch, pickerel and bass on it.  I tip it with three spikes.

Bob

Offline walbra60

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG------------STAFF, ARIZONA
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2007, 01:13 AM »
they work well for me.i tip them with 2 waxies or 2 spikes. caught a lot of blugills, perch and crappie with them. :tipup:
i love the gander mountain discount.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2007, 07:47 PM »
im going to say that 80% of my fish are caught on marmooska jigs(that is the way its spelled), they're great for gills and even catch the specs! awesome jigs, i know cage trapper uses them a lot also, and does pretty well on them

Offline Bobby T.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishaholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:52 PM »
the european marmooska jig,introduced to the north american market by HT enterprise,is one of the most effective bluegill jigs available because of it's heavy head,light-wire,small barbed  ,bent hook design and off centerd eyelet that creates a pivoting action that turns the hook taward bitting fish.  ...hooked on ice fishing by tom gruenwald ,1997
:tipup:
Why be a couch potato..When you can be an ice spud.

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:28 AM »
it's mormyska, not marmooska ;D.marmooska is american spelling.it doesn't matter what material is used to make them, silver, tungsten, lead, gold, epoxy they all are  mormyska's.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:35 AM »
I don't think they are made of lead because they seem a bit lighter.  They are a very well balanced jig in my opinion.  Bought them for my dad and brother this Christmas and rigged their poles and put them in their stockings.  My little brother caught a 34" pike with a marmooska jig tipped with a dead minnow on 6# test.  I like them.  When we were perch fishing he was gettin everything and 0 for me.(Image removed from quote.)
Nice camo suit! It would work well in early snow!

Offline pageman1j

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2007, 05:56 PM »
i like these jigs for small panfish but i dont use them much when on bigger lakes with the potential for bigger fish.

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Fished a small private pond in Oakland NJ yesterday with one of the samples received from NISID. It was the small silver, two-part body, jig with line going thru body and tying off on hook. Tipped with mousies, it accounted for over 15 fish in under two hours. All fish nicely hooked in upper jaw, with very few misses. Put in an order for some, including the ones suitable for fly tying. Going to tie up some bead-head nymphs for trout this Spring. We'll see what happens.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2007, 12:30 PM »
it's mormyska, not marmooska ;D.marmooska is american spelling.it doesn't matter what material is used to make them, silver, tungsten, lead, gold, epoxy they all are  mormyska's.

Mormyshka and Marmooska are 2 different jigs. Look at the pic. The pic is of Marmooska jigs, they have an eye. Mormyshka jigs do not: wwww.nisid.com

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:38 PM »
Middle row from the left to about 1/3 over.  Love them for gils!  1-2 spikes, different colors.]
Thanks for showing those to me will try and find some in Winnipeg!!They look deadly!!!

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:33 PM »
PGKris, the one's with hole through are, old style.That's the original mormyshka.The ones with loop new style.They've been on market  10 years, maybe less, at least in Eastern Europe.The problem with the hole through jigs used to be sharp edges.

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2007, 09:31 PM »
Who cares about spelling he wants to know how they work.They work great.And I read in english I'm american,and thats how we spell it,last time I saw one.

SNAGGER
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline ICEHOUND22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Anyone know where you can buy marmooska jigs on-line, besides e-bay? I can only find cards of 12 asst. colors. I'd like to buy smaller amounts of specific colors. Thanks for any help. :)

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2007, 01:54 PM »
great jig use them all the time
spelled several different ways each company spells it a little different
hope this helps
RAT
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Anyone know where you can buy marmooska jigs on-line, besides e-bay? I can only find cards of 12 asst. colors. I'd like to buy smaller amounts of specific colors. Thanks for any help. :)

try www.thornebros.com or www.fish307.com
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.