Author Topic: Striker v Clam v Frabill - Float Jacket & Bibs  (Read 14672 times)

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
Striker v Clam v Frabill - Float Jacket & Bibs
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Last winter I purchased the Clam Ice Armour Extream bibs and jacket. I thought these were the ones that float, they are not. This was my error, I should have been more diligent. In related news... there will be a set of 3XL Clam Ice Armour Extream bibs and jacket for sale in the near future. LOL!

This year I plan to buy a floating set for myself and my teenage son. I see there is a lot of preference stating "Striker is better" but I did not see any clear reasoning behind this. When I tried on the Striker product last year the material was very stiff and not comfortable. Maybe this is something that breaks in? Also last year there were posts that the quality control at Striker took a dip, so I went with Clam.

Now that I am doing this all over again, I am looking for a pros vs cons of the three big brands for floating ice gear. I have names and prices listed below.

Striker Hardwater Jacket - $229
Striker Hardwater Bibs - $229

Clam Ascent Jacket - $259
Clam Ascent Bibs - $259

Frabill I-Float Jacket - $299
Frabil I-Bib - $249 (Does NOT Float)

I can tell you that Frabill is out! I wear my bibs a lot more than I wear my jacket so the float feature is more important in the bibs but I included this for informational purposes as I imagine other can also benefit from the comparison.

Why did you choose Striker/Clam/Frabill over the others? Is there a difference in their floating ability? Was there another motivating factor. Price is so close I don't see that being a big factor but it might be a tiebreaker.

Thanks for any feedback, I appreciate it!

Offline Toph19

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Striker v Clam v Frabill - Float Jacket & Bibs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Had the striker hardwater suit since it first came out and i love it. Didn't have much for other floating options then so i dont have anything to compare it too. It has held up perfectly over the years,no tears or other issues. It is extremely warm if you do a lot of running around on the lake and the jacket can be a bit bulky if youre in a smaller portable.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:23 AM »
I have the climate , it is really warm is the real reason I bought it plus you can take the liners out , being a lift suit was a bonus , got it the first year out , no issues so far and it gets lots of use
 I can’t compare to others

Offline delement87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:31 AM »
i have no experience with the other suits but the striker stuff is very nice, you will not be disappointed going with them.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:45 AM »
The striker hardwater is  very stiff, more like a carhart. I have the striker predator bibs and jacket. I preferred the predator over the hardwater because I didn't want the stiffness like my carhart bibs and jacket for ice fishing. Also the predator is very warm and the hardwater is even warmer, I wouldn't be comfortable in that. After owning the predator I have no desire for another brand.

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Another vote for Striker Predator suit.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:09 AM »
The frabil i-float jacket (black) is extremely stiff and plasticky feeling when it dips below zero. Other than that it wad a great buy for $90.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2018, 04:58 PM »
I own the hardwater bibs and jacket, also have a new preditor jacket. I love my hardwater sometimes too warm but I just vent. Haven’t got to wear the preditor but seems comfortable and a little less stiff. I think the new ice amor floating suit are a lot like the striker suits and I here the one of the designers from striker went over to clam. I believe it because they have a lot of the same features.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2018, 08:34 PM »
I would go with either the Clam Ascent suit or the new Clam Rise Suit. the Rise is a little cheaper then the Ascent but they are both float suits. plus I believe Clam is still running their buy a suit get a free pair of the new Sub Zero X boots ($180.00 value) Promotion still.

https://www.facebook.com/clamoutdoors/photos/p.10156399824116628/10156399824116628/?type=1&theater

The Ascent Suit (comes in other colors too) :

parka : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/ascent-parka-blue.html

bibs : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/ascent-bib-charcoal-black-3744.html

The Rise Suit :

blue parka : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/rise-parka-black-3755.html

black parka : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/rise-parka-black.html

blue bibs : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/rise-bib-black-3757.html

black bibs : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/rise-bib-black.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2018, 04:50 AM »

I’ve heard some good things about the clam suits 
Hey Monticatgeek just curious if you still belonged to the ice team ?

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2018, 01:31 PM »
I thought my I float bibs from frabill worked pretty well last season when I fell through the ice. Something had to prevent me from going under. I was able to get out on my own accord and make it back to my truck to warm back up.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:15 AM »

I’ve heard some good things about the clam suits 
Hey Monticatgeek just curious if you still belonged to the ice team ?

I am a Clam Power Stick never made it up to Ice Team Level on the pro staff. I am kind of backing away and taking a break from it for this year and doing my own thing. still like ice fishing but got back into bow hunting and am focusing on that for now.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2018, 04:11 AM »

Well good luck with the bow 👍🏻

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2018, 11:42 AM »
I guess when warmth , safety, functionality  and quality are equal. I went with looks. The cut and color became the deciding factor for me. I like the black and charcoal is nice. Don,t care for the red or clams light blue. So choice was Striker.

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:01 PM »
I found the Striker Climate bibs for $259 - 10% = $233.96 AND they included a $25 gift card. SCORE!!!

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/product/details?pdesc=Striker-Ice-Mens-Climate-Bib&i=209341&fbclid=IwAR3Frgt4AE3g2j3AFeydekMBvx9PVJhhNe5xCdD1F7tHNttX2KJ1DxeUZYA

Still hunting for the jacket at a discount. :-)

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:15 PM »
If I remember right from last years ice fishing show, the frabil jacket was the only one that was coast guard approved, and as far as the bibs, I don't think any of them had a float rating as of last year.

Offline Duke22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Just bought the ice armor rise suit.  I’ll give some feedback after a few day out.  What sold me on it was the fact that it isn’t bulky, which was a knock on previous floatation suits.  Also, I’m 6’3”, and the inseams are adjustable for any height.  This is the first I’ve heard about the free boots with a suit purchase.  Hoping I can still get in on that!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2018, 03:20 AM »
Just bought the ice armor rise suit.  I’ll give some feedback after a few day out.  What sold me on it was the fact that it isn’t bulky, which was a knock on previous floatation suits.  Also, I’m 6’3”, and the inseams are adjustable for any height.  This is the first I’ve heard about the free boots with a suit purchase.  Hoping I can still get in on that!

Promo goes until the end of January 2019 now (been extended 1 extra month). You will need to send in your receipt  with this so make a copy to keep for your self as only originals will be excepted. all the details are on the form.

here is the form you will need to fill out and send in :

www.clamoutdoors.com/bootoffer

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:19 AM »

I wear my bibs a lot more than I wear my jacket so the float feature is more important in the bibs

If your bibs stay afloat and your jacket or upper body does not, how well is that gonna work for you if you go through? Maybe I'm missing something.
It must be something in the water.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:25 AM »
If your bibs stay afloat and your jacket or upper body does not, how well is that gonna work for you if you go through? Maybe I'm missing something.

I have tried my SI Climate bibs by themselves in my lake to test how buoyant they would be by themselves ..they did the job and was able to keep my head up w/o much effort :thumbsup:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2018, 04:50 PM »
I just got the Striker Predator- I can honestly not imagine needing anything warmer. Float clothing is already stiff and bulky compared to non-float, but it sure is warm! The striker bibs vent up the side, which you sure will need if you walk at all. Striker clothing is typically excluded from Dicks Sporting Goods 25% off promotions, but I called and asked, and they gave it to me, so if that makes a difference, it does not hurt to call and ask Dicks.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2018, 06:05 PM »
I just got the Striker Predator- I can honestly not imagine needing anything warmer. Float clothing is already stiff and bulky compared to non-float, but it sure is warm! The striker bibs vent up the side, which you sure will need if you walk at all. Striker clothing is typically excluded from Dicks Sporting Goods 25% off promotions, but I called and asked, and they gave it to me, so if that makes a difference, it does not hurt to call and ask Dicks.

Congratulations....if you was the bibs/jacket per SI instructions they will lose their stiffness ..most clothing has some sizing sprayed on them from the manufacturer.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:35 PM »
I got the Stiker predator a few days ago and love them.

They are sweet...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:32 AM »
      it still has floatation.it helps float the legs up also and that makes it easier to swim up on the ice.have the hardwater,its heavy ,stiff and uncomfortable but floats.put my wallet in upper bib pocket and it kept going.lol.took a little while to fish it back up.but that is the only problem I have had with them.i wilbe lookin into another suit beause I find them uncomfortable          but they float

Offline warren53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:47 AM »
I have the striker bibs and coat that money well spent can’t say enough good about them👍

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:57 AM »
I've had the predator bibs 4 years now and really like them, nice and warm. wouldn't want anything else  :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:42 PM »
      it still has floatation.it helps float the legs up also and that makes it easier to swim up on the ice.have the hardwater,its heavy ,stiff and uncomfortable but floats.put my wallet in upper bib pocket and it kept going.lol.took a little while to fish it back up.but that is the only problem I have had with them.i wilbe lookin into another suit beause I find them uncomfortable          but they float
I just had the same problem with my Hardwater bibs.  The upper-left pocket came apart from the suit fabric and the nylon pocket liner.  I need to sew that back up or use that double-sided permanent fabric tape to mend the two pieces together.  Other than that, my Hardwater suit has exceeded my expectations.  Ridicously warm.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:58 AM »
I have the Clam Ascent suit and am quite happy with it. I do find it seems to be a bit restrictive, but nohing that would make me reconsider my purchase. I also got a pair of the Clam boots for $20... what a deal that was!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:44 PM »
I have the Clam Ascent suit and am quite happy with it. I do find it seems to be a bit restrictive, but nohing that would make me reconsider my purchase. I also got a pair of the Clam boots for $20... what a deal that was!

how are you liking the boots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.