Author Topic: Survival Suits????  (Read 2687 times)

Reelinrolly

Survival Suits????
« on: Oct 15, 2004, 01:10 AM »
OK...its that time of the year....can anyone tell me of some nice survival suits on the market right now.....like brand names approx prices ora  website to check them out...im looking to get a new one this year and was wondering if anyone could give me a hand....thnx i appreciate it

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Survival Suits????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2004, 11:39 AM »
try this RR www.mustangsurvival.com  hope this is what you are looking for

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2004, 01:46 PM »
Similar to Slipbob, I'm going to make it a practice to wear a PFD for early ice games.  I'll probably get one of those low-mass/profile, CO2 inflatable, May West looking thingies instead of the usually PFD though. 
Chris Raymond

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2004, 01:48 PM »
I always have a buddy with me, rope, and "spikes" around my neck.
That's my survival suit. Let's face it, guys, you're pretty much screwed if you go in.
Be smart, stay somewhat sober (yeah right), and have fun.
I worry a lot more about ice out than first ice. That can be scary!

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2004, 03:19 PM »
You can never go wrong the the PFD, and i would have to agree that it never hurts to bring extras with you such as a rope.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2004, 03:43 PM »
I always have a buddy with me, rope, and "spikes" around my neck.
That's my survival suit. Let's face it, guys, you're pretty much screwed if you go in.
Be smart, stay somewhat sober (yeah right), and have fun.
I worry a lot more about ice out than first ice. That can be scary!

I agree that last ice can be as exciting or more so than first ice.  And as boring as it sounds, I never drink on the ice...early, middle or late.  But then I might be strange because I never drink in a boat either.  Go figure.

Chris Raymond

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2004, 04:28 PM »
Survival suits are probably the very best protection you can buy, but they're also EXPENSIVE$$$$$$ and very bulky.  They are made to save your life if you fall into very cold water, not made for walking around in/drilling holes/keeping warm in air (just water).
My suggestion would be the new S.O.S.penders, which fit like a pair of suspenders, activate with CO2 cartridge, and you'll never know you're wearing them (until you need them).
I think a good pair go for about $150 and any marine supply store, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.
Good Luck

Reelinrolly

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2004, 10:25 PM »
thnx for the info guys i really appreciate it....I also go out with my buddy Bryan C and we always bring a rope at first ice....never can be too safe thats for sure

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2004, 04:05 AM »
After a dip in Irondequoit Bay a few years ago, I bought my Mustang Survival suit. I wear it anytime I'm not 100% positive about the ice conditions and even sometimes when I am  absolutely sure.

I'll admit I was very nervous for quite a while after I accidentally joined the polar bear club.

Mustang! Don't Fall Through  Without It!........ DOH!  :pinch:

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2004, 10:24 PM »
i wear a mustang suit as well and it isn't bulky actually quite comfortable and blocks out wind well.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Reelinrolly

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2004, 01:23 AM »
I presently havea  mustang suit as well.....but my mom thought se whould be nice and wash it in the washing machine for me.....well....its ruined now....all the floatation crap is bunced up in the ends of the legs and arms....time for a new one......those damn moms trying to help eh....lol

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2004, 04:28 AM »
Rolly, Contact the company...I think they refurbish their suits for a fee. Gotta be less than a new one.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Reelinrolly

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2004, 10:31 AM »
thnx for the info RG......that is definitely worth looking nto

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.