Author Topic: Homemade Ice Sleds/Shanties/Gear, etc.  (Read 19092 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Homemade Ice Sleds/Shanties/Gear, etc.
« on: Aug 04, 2004, 04:02 PM »
I realize this is probably a bit early but there was a post over on MyFishFinder that prompted this.  At the end of this past winter, I wanted to customize an ice sled for myself just to see if I could do it.  I've added a couple of improvements since this web page was created http://members.infinitecom.com/craymond/icefishingsled.html.  I've created two dead stick rod holders to the far left and right of my seat on the front of the box to hold rods horizontally with the tips over the holes.  Additionally, I've created removeable two level storage areas in the smaller compartments on either side of the seat lid.  Plus, I've put in gear bags that are attached on the inside of the box which can flip over the sidewall and then become accessible outside of the box.  I've sewn the small mesh bags such that pliers, mouth spreaders, grub bait containers, small mag light, etc. can be easily gotten to when the bags are flipped to the outside.

Before ice sets in, I'll fit out an area in the bottom back compartment for at least one, maybe more, of those ice fishing batteries to power an underwater light for night smelt fishing.  I'll be the first to admit that some of this stuff is overkill and that this is more of an adventure in customization, but it's still fun to play around nonetheless.

I'm really interested in seeing what others have done in the way of building their own sleds, shanties, and equipment.  I love this kind of stuff. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Homemade Ice Sleds/Shanties/Gear, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2004, 06:20 PM »
Here is the shanty I built.... http://www.fishingvermont.net/Articles/Shanty_101.htm

I have not done a how-to on my sled yet, but here are a few pics....

I carry a LOT of gear and this works awesome. It stays fully loaded, so when I get to the ice I just unload a go. Before I had to try and pack stuff into my sled when I got to the ice and wasted 15 minutes on either end of my trip. I carry 30 Heritage laker ti[-ups, power auger, tackle box, poles, electronics (cameras, underwater camera, etc), chipper, spudbar, safety rope, extra clothes, etc..etc... Even fully loaded this thing pulls like a dream.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2004, 07:27 PM »
Essox--Very nice looking projects.  I know what you're saying about having to load up and unload.  Having it all in the sled gives you a lot more time to be on the slab.  Is there anything that you would do differently with your sled?  I like your gear hook idea for your auger.  I couldn't find hooks that I liked around here so ended up making it with heavier lumber.  That's one thing that won't happen again when I build another one of these for a buddy this fall. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2004, 07:33 PM »
Yeah...I would (and I am going to) add a plywood base between the ski cross members and the Jet Sled. With people leaning on the edge of the unit, the Jet Sled deforms slightly. I might add a hook system to the front and back for my bait buckets (I use coolers) so I don't have water spilling inside of the sled. I'm also going to make a cover to keep the snow out of it and to protect my gear.

The hook I used was one I had lying around. I believe I got it at Home Depot.

Offline seaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Hey Bob D,

Nice shack and jet sled modifications! Is the shack 10 x 6,      8 x 6, or something else?  ;D

Seaice

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2004, 11:41 AM »
The shanty is 5'x8'. I made it so it would fit well on a standard trailer. If I build another, it will be a 6x10 with retractable wheels. One of the best things I did in the shanty was the shelves. There is so much more room when you can stow things. I'll be adding some new runners and some window covers this year....Maybe a new towing system.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2004, 08:25 PM »
nice projects!!!
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2004, 08:26 PM »
 Nice sled I would take something like that any day of the week over boat
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2004, 04:07 PM »
Hey Chris, how did you make out?
Here is my contribution to the search
this link has about 20 diffeant plans in it.
I may have had the plans you wanted but lose my hard drive 2 weeks ago!
Starting again from scratch!!!
http://www.ontario-ice-fishing.com/links.html

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2004, 10:09 AM »
TJG--I'm fairly certain I found the link to the correct thread thanks to Yellow Belly.  The pictures are no longer being hosted so they don't appear.  I sent a PM to the thread originator but haven't heard back from them re: their plans/design.  Maybe they're taking a break from that bulletin board for a while or something.

Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.