The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Yellow Perch ~ In-depth  (Read 307 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Yellow Perch ~ In-depth
« on: Mar 17, 2024, 05:44 AM »

Planning some open water perching next week! The spawn should be starting soon!
"Are Yellow Perch Good to Eat?
Yellow perch always take a top spot when discussing freshwater table fare. Commonly listed alongside or above other fan favorites like walleye and crappie, perch are undisputedly delicious. Most recreational anglers target yellow perch for the exceptional meat qualities and demand for the fish even supports a commercial fishery. It is commonly fried and served as a sandwich but it can be prepared a variety of different ways. Yellow perch are firmly embedded in Midwest culture and can be found on the menu at restaurants and supper clubs with some shops even featuring these fish on merchandise."

https://captainexperiences.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-yellow-perch

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Yellow Perch ~ In-depth
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2024, 06:37 AM »
 In NY they commercial fish yellow perch , and are severed in restaurants and have for decades
   , I can remember when many up your way called them trash fish and tossed them , most likely they were brought up to that way of thinking ,funny how times have changed 😉
 Spring perch are fun , but if you go during the spawn rain gear is a must as you will look like a sperm bank 🤪
 If memory serves your familiar with Ny
 Fishing

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2024, 06:43 AM »
Yep! Spent many days on Oneida, The Finger Lakes and there abouts! Usually sell getting the perch through the ice now, this time of year. Haven't been able to do that for a few years now, cantal Maine. Still have a lot of lakes and ponds here with very stunted yellows and or very loaded with parasites/yellow grub. Still most call them trash fish...
In NY they commercial fish yellow perch , and are severed in restaurants and have for decades
   , I can remember when many up your way called them trash fish and tossed them , most likely they were brought up to that way of thinking ,funny how times have changed 😉
 Spring perch are fun , but if you go during the spawn rain gear is a must as you will look like a sperm bank 🤪
 If memory serves your familiar with Ny
 Fishing
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2024, 10:07 AM »

Well that’s unfortunate

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2024, 11:29 AM »
prefer whites and crappie over yellows. they have no parasites and fight alot harder. if i get a good sized clean yellow ill throw him in the bucket but with the introduction of whites, the once abundant big yellows are getting rare. many people are targeting the w. perch up here now, which is good as it will control their numbers so they dont get over populated. seen some guys have 200 fish days with only 1 jig pole. some even more with 2 people.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2024, 01:37 PM »
prefer whites and crappie over yellows. they have no parasites and fight alot harder. if i get a good sized clean yellow ill throw him in the bucket but with the introduction of whites, the once abundant big yellows are getting rare. many people are targeting the w. perch up here now, which is good as it will control their numbers so they dont get over populated. seen some guys have 200 fish days with only 1 jig pole. some even more with 2 people.
1 guy in the Long Lake Derby won his category with 450 yellows. Not sure if it was Cross or Long. I heard both have large yellows that are clean. Whites are too fishy strong form. I like crappy, but they are nearly flavorless. they do take a sauce well, especially with crabmeat stuffing. Even a wicked garlic white sauce won't cover the sting taste of whites. I'll eat a white once in a while, the day IO catch them. Other than that. it reminds me of attempting to eat 4 day old mackerel... hehe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.