The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: If you're building a portable shack this thread is for you.  (Read 2087 times)

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Last year I built a portable shack from some plans that I found online--the type where both ends fold down into the middle.  I was concerned about the tarp being too thin, but was fortunate to come across a couple of big tarps that a buddy used on his big rig.  They're heavy and rubber coated, and the black rubber held heat well.  I loved fishing out of it when I wasn't in my home shack.

I'm posting to see if anyone is planning to build a shack this year and needs something of this sort.  I've got about a tarp and a half left (originally somewhere around 30' by 20'.  They're got some holes in them, but I was able to patch mine easily.  The tarps have d-rings all over them, which make for great tie-down anchors.  I've also got a greenhouse cover that  someone could use.  It's reinforced with embedded fibers and, as far as I can tell, has no holes.  I think that this one is around twenty feet long and the greenhouse was about ten feet tall.  It has zippered doors on either ends.

They're free for the taking, if you can put them to good use, particularly a homemade shack. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: If you're building a portable shack this thread is for you.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2012, 05:30 AM »
Hey Ron, If you still have that stuff mid week I’d will likely take it. I plan on coming up that way to chase some crappies. Where’d you find that design? Thanks! Joe
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2012, 07:22 AM »

It's like this one.  If you're going to be in this corner of the world let me know when and you can stop by and see the one I built last year. 

I've seen how you hustle from hole to hole out there--this makes for a nice place to get in out of the wind.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2012, 07:42 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

It's like this one.  If you're going to be in this corner of the world let me know when and you can stop by and see the one I built last year. 

I've seen how you hustle from hole to hole out there--this makes for a nice place to get in out of the wind.

Nice looking rig!

I think thinking of myself building a shack is a sign I may be getting old ;D. Naw. I move around a lot, like some other guys we know. That is why I don’t have a shack now. Don’t know where I’d put it! This year though, I have a couple new spots I want to give some time AND, If I can move it around easily, I think I can make it work, especially when I have kids and tenderfoots  :whistle: with me.  :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.