The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: need a new auger !!!!  (Read 1177 times)

Offline mebwhuntah

• IceShanty Rookie
need a new auger !!!!
« on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:05 PM »
I know i recently posted help on augers ive pretty much narrowed it down i think lol...Have any of the fellow hard water freaks on here used eskimo augers if so can i get a little input im leaning twords the jiffy stealth stx but just a little leary on the new jiffy motors so was looking at the barracuda and mako by eskimo they looked pretty sweet just trying to get a little more input before i pull the triggah thanks sooo much...

kevin :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline speedyrower17

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: need a new auger !!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:16 PM »
most people are going to say ICEGATOR  ;)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:29 PM »
No matter what anyone says --- IceGator is a great product and definitely a leader in innovative products.  Maybe not for everyone but they are a marvelous machine and when used and treated properly, can not be outdone.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:51 PM »
IM going with a Nils this year, cant wait for ice..

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:12 PM »

Nils is second to none!  Got an 8"er right under my Gator Drive  ;D

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:12 PM »
Santa just ordered me an Eskimo Z51 10".  I have not read a single bad thing about Eskimos, and I don't really like all the composite materials of the new StrikeMasters and Jiffy's.  Not to mention the price point of the Eskimos are much better.

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Santa just ordered me an Eskimo Z51 10".  I have not read a single bad thing about Eskimos, and I don't really like all the composite materials of the new StrikeMasters and Jiffy's.  Not to mention the price point of the Eskimos are much better.
Nice, Jeff! Glad to hear Santa figured it out :P
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:48 PM »
those new propane 4 stroke jiffy augers look sweet.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:57 PM »
There are several Jiffy's on Maine's Craiglist.

MD

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Own the Eskimo Barracuda 10", purchased a 6" and 8" auger to go with it. I believe if you review my posts in the past you will see I have had only one small issue with the fly wheel cracking on the pull start, seen local Eskimo shop and he replaced it for me, $14+/- dollars, in addition he gave me an extra if it should ever happen again, drilled 1000's of holes same blades still. Very happy with the Eskimo. Tightlines....
Ron

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:52 PM »

Funny, almost everybody I fished with last year that used my Nils or at least saw it in action either has a new Nils or has plans to get one.  I'm starting to think I should get a commission.   ;D

I wouldn't spend money on any other auger!!!
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:33 AM »
I have two eskimos, one I had given to me when I was 13 and even then it must have been about 15yrs old,  I bought a new one in 2003 a eskimo shark 10" with the High Performance engine that suposed to turn up to 27,000rpm.  It runs mean,  I timed it on 36" of ice and it cut through it in under 30sec.  I like my eskimos and will stick with them the rest of my life, I've seen the new jiffy's they look alright.  I've never seen a jiffy cut ice as good as my eskimo shark, or even a Nils.   Although any power auger is better than a chisel, or a hand auger for that matter

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:08 AM »
I used to have a strikmaster lazer mag 2000 in 10".  It was great for about 5 years then I had a bit of carb trouble- completely my fault because I am an idiot when it comes to maintaining small engines.  Once I got the carb cleaned up, it ran great again.  I sold it to a friend and he still uses it.  I now have an icegator.  I love it.  It cuts fast, charges fast, and never fails to start.  At the kids derby last year I cut 62 holes using a cheap eskimo hand auger bit on it without resting the battery.  At that point it would still cut, but was slowing down.  If I had rested it every 5 or 10 holes, who knows how many it would have cut.  I believe billditrite also cut about 60 on his.  They are not just hype. 

Another friend of mine has a jiffy stealth- he loves it.  A third friend has an eskimo- he loves it.

Now I'm not on the ice every day- I'm lucky to get every weekend.  From what I see, it seems like if you take care of your auger, about any will do the job.  It's almost like the old ford/chevy debate.  I'm not one to say- "Get an icegator" no matter what.  They aren't for everybody.  I believe them to be the best electric auger out there.  That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the gas augers out there.  I just don't like the maintenance and dealing with the mixed gas.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:54 AM »
I'm new to hardwater and after a lot of research  I went with a Strikemaster lite as my first power auger. After one season I'm very happy with it. Only drawback is the 8" size if that matters to you. Otherwise I really like the weight, cuts ice like butter, starts easy and I don't have to mix the gas. 

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:53 AM »

Someone was extra good this year. Santa came a month early???? Accodring to the wife i'm getting a piece fo coal.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Funny, almost everybody I fished with last year that used my Nils or at least saw it in action either has a new Nils or has plans to get one.  I'm starting to think I should get a commission.   ;D

I wouldn't spend money on any other auger!!!
I was sold as soon as i saw you use it, I had my mind made up what i wanted for festivas this year.  Cant wait to see it sitting next to that shinny pole festivas morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.