Author Topic: To the guy from the Blair area I met at an Omaha lake dock on Sun afternoon  (Read 2916 times)

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sorry, don't recall your name or I would have addressed you by that in the title of the thread.  But you were only out for an hour, sorta new to ice fishing, I used your auger while waiting for another guy who was meeting me. 

It's too bad that cat you had got broken off at the hole, but look what happened after you left!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then all of the sudden, it happened.

But it was still a pretty slow night, just three cats and two eyes.  But well worth it.  The rest of the ice fishing season will likely be a letdown, but I'll keep swingin. 

Offline JordanHXC

• IceShanty Rookie
where the hell did you catch that and when are we going back?
Hey Steve....Is it warm in here?

Offline fatjackedd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • DOINK!

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
Those are some really sweet action pictures and nice fish!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is your fishing rod O.K. that you are stepping on in picture number 5?  :o ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
That is one hell of a Cat on that tackle. Outstanding job!!! I'm not the guy from Blair but I probably know him.
Just out of curiosity, what were you using for bait? I'm a Cat fisherman all the way. Love em'.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
the fishing rod is on top of his boot if you look close i was wondering the same thing lol

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yep, rods OK somehow.  Frabill ultra light panfish popper, in-expensive, did the trick.  pline 3#, somehow held up. 

Madpuppy - was using wax.  Got 6 on sat, 17-20 inches (lost 8-9) on minnow, 1 hookup was wax but never landed it.   Had been using one minnow one wax but mainly after cats, just get bored without jiggin a wax, there were dinks around just were not biting.  After a couple hours of slow double-minnow soaking, i said f-it im going back to wax on one.  Maybe 3 min later he hit. 

fatjackedd - someone on another forum guessed calamus, is that a joke I don't get or is that an actual guess.  I have never been there, and as in the title of this thread, it was an omaha lake.  Maybe i do need to go there if there are fish like this around. 

Jordan - I may be going back tomorrow, wed, and thurs, but may go elsewhere instead wed/thurs. 

Oh, and here is the magical monster jig. 

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
Once again adammd congratulations, that had to be a blast on that light of tackle. It takes alot of finesse to land a Cat that size on regular tackle. I'm glad you got pics to disprove any disbelievers. Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it buddy. GOOD FISHIN'
Madpuppy
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the fishing rod is on top of his boot if you look close i was wondering the same thing lol

I see that now. Thanks. I'm getting old. The eyes are not what they use to be.  :'(
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Adam,
I'm still in awe over your catch, that cat is a freaking brute. That's probably one of the best catches I've seen posted. Hats off to you for landing that monster.

Keep me posted on Wednesday night, I'd like to meet you and Dolo for some night ice action.

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
Great job Adam and thanks for sharing the pics.

Offline tgd

• IceShanty Rookie
Adam,  i'm the guy from Blair you were with earlier that day. thanks for the pics. that was a great fish. glad to meet and fish with you. going out saturday am to the same lake. maybe see you there.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Holy  ;D ;D ;D ;D Adam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pictures like that keep me on ice and neglecting work. 

P-Line is tuff but you have to know what is going on to land a fish like that with 3 lb. line. Great job. :bow:

Was she a little sticky coming through the hole? How many runs to the bottom? How much time? You want more questions? :-[

dc

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
TGD, good to meet you as well.  Any luck back there on Sat am?  I was out there Sunday (different spot) but wasted my time at Zorinksy on Sat (all dink gills, crappie, bass).  Was also back at this lake on Mon/Tues, but fishing different spots, did set 4 tip-ups around this hole one of the days, but no luck. 

Holy  ;D ;D ;D ;D Adam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pictures like that keep me on ice and neglecting work. 

P-Line is tuff but you have to know what is going on to land a fish like that with 3 lb. line. Great job. :bow:

Was she a little sticky coming through the hole? How many runs to the bottom? How much time? You want more questions? :-[

dc

Sandbilly, yeah she really didn't want to come thru.  Maybe the 5th attempt at getting a handful of mouth finally got ahold of her, then the guy I was with got her about halfway thru and then had trouble, I ripped her up the rest of the way.  Size wise was bigger, but they can squeeze OK.  As for runs, about as many as it wanted.  UL and 3# test, i had no answer, just kept 3# of pressure on the fish as much as I could.  Early on though it ran, and ran, and ran, and ran.  I was in 25 fow/channel, fishing at 14 ft, so I knew I had some good room without finding snags.  But it took a ton of line, and I'm glad I had a full spool of line on the reel plus backing (which it never got to).  10-15 min to land it, but until the end it was at the bottom.  Didn't ever just sit still, maybe b/c of the pressure but it was constantly circling or moving on me.  Blast for sure, may have the bar now set too high???

Offline Outdoor_Joe_26

• IceShanty Rookie
I am so glad to see you let that big girl go!!  Wish more guys would do that around these parts! 
God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!<br /><br />[IMG]

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow. Great pics and fish, keep up the good work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.