Author Topic: ice fishing around lincoln  (Read 2555 times)

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
ice fishing around lincoln
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Hi everyone I just moved to Lincoln from Iowa I usually fish a private pond was wondering if anyone knows any ice conditions I just had a son so haven't had a chance to scout

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Re: ice fishing around lincoln
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:30 PM »
I fished a private pond south of Lincoln it only had 3 1/2" but I know Yankee hill depending on where you went had 3 1/2"-4 1/2"
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Thanks

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:25 PM »
I fished a private pond south of Lincoln it only had 3 1/2" but I know Yankee hill depending on where you went had 3 1/2"-4 1/2"

Ulking you have much luck at Yankee hill?  I have once but every other times we searched and searched

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2015, 01:26 PM »

Ulking you have much luck at Yankee hill?  I have once but every other times we searched and searched

Idk about luck but I've caught fish....nothing to brag about at all unless you like bullheads....go there for short trips bc its 10min away not to catch trophies..lots of tiny gills

Offline johnsonbr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Wildwood had 5-6" everywhere I fished today. 

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Where is Yankee hill at?

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Fished a small pond across from the Mahoney golf course but all I caught was a little three inch bass

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Where is Yankee hill at?

Just South and then East of Denton.
The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Do you guys remember right after they redid Yankee hill? They stocked it with walleye but I haven't caught any sense that first year. Have you guys ever caught an walleyes out of there.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Do you guys remember right after they redid Yankee hill? They stocked it with walleye but I haven't caught any sense that first year. Have you guys ever caught an walleyes out of there.
Never caught an eye but some big bullheads to be had

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Where is Yankee hill at?

All of our public waters and directions to them are listed in the back of the Fishing Guide, http://outdoornebraska.org/fishing/guides/fishguide/pdf/FishGuide.pdf.

You also might find this interactive map to be useful, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/gisapps/default.asp.

Lastly, start here, http://outdoornebraska.org/Fishing/pdfs/FishForecast.pdf.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:55 PM »
Hi everyone I just moved to Lincoln from Iowa I usually fish a private pond was wondering if anyone knows any ice conditions I just had a son so haven't had a chance to scout

Hi Abolster, welcome to Nebraska!

There's a very accessible lake in Lincoln city limits called Holmes Lake [70th and Van Dorn] which underwent some serious renovation several years ago to improve water quality and establish a good fishery and it worked very well.  I don't know the regs, it may be a C/R lake, but have heard from many that the BG, Crappie, and LMB fishing is pretty reliable.  They used to feature seasonal stocker rainbows for harvest and they are very aggressive cold water species and represent a steady bite.  I think this would be a good place for you/son to hit. 

Further, if you look at Google maps around Lincoln in nearby rural NE, there are a lot of farm ponds which receive little to no pressure stocked with the standard BG/LMB/CC/ and maybe Crappie that offer great fishing.  You need permission - but if you're friendly and offer to help with management you might be surprised at the number of guys who will allow access.  Showing up with your son wouldn't hurt your case either.  My friends/clients routinely allow hunting and fishing on their properties and guys who offer fillets, pheasants, deer steaks, quail or offer to help with some seasonal cleanup, burning, firewood splitting, etc. are typically always welcome and have forged strong friendships.  Managing an acreage, watershed, ponds, or wildlife habitat is hard work and many of my clients are retired and busting it solo - the help is welcome and you can forge a cool reciprocal relationship, make new buddies, and learn about wildlife or fishery management in the process if you are interested in the "why and how" behind fishing/hunting.  That's a win/win in my book.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:30 PM »
Thank you very much for your insight I will try this also am looking for a fishing buddy don't know very many people here and would like some company as ice fishing by your self can get kind of iffy and fishing with a partner is always fun

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:33 PM »
And the little guy won't be able to come with this year or next probably lol he I a little too new to be out fishing In the cold

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:33 PM »
And the little guy won't be able to come with this year or next probably lol he I a little too new to be out fishing In the cold

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:33 PM »
You've come to the right place, then.  Also, failed to mention Wildwood.  It's a bit North and West of Lincoln, but the bite for BG and Crappie has been outstanding the last few years I've fished there.  One of the most furious BG night bites I've ever had.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:44 PM »
Yeah I heard about wild wood and a bunch of other places and do have a farm pond that my wife's grandpa owns

Offline abolster01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:45 PM »
Does Holmes lake have walleyes?

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:26 AM »
Does Holmes lake have walleyes?

Yes, but probably not enough to target them with any reliable degree of success.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.