Author Topic: New Fishing Info  (Read 1521 times)

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
New Fishing Info
« on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:37 PM »
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Fishing Info
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Thanks

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Thanks Daryl for the information.  Can you help me out with a question?  In the 2012 sampling charts, "Winters Creek" is shown to have walleyes.  Is this our Winters Creek lake next to Lake Minatare?  I have checked the fish stocking reports and see no mention of walleye stocking after the lake dried up during the drought years.  Maybe I missed something.  Of course, I know that Northern Pike were put into Minatare and Winters Creek and I can not find that on the stocking reports either.

If walleyes are in there, that would be great news!  Do you know if any perch showed up in the sampling?

Thanks for all the work you do to help improve our fisheries.

Good fishing,

Keith

Offline officeryan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:23 PM »
X2

wiz

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Thanks Daryl for the information.  Can you help me out with a question?  In the 2012 sampling charts, "Winters Creek" is shown to have walleyes.  Is this our Winters Creek lake next to Lake Minatare?  I have checked the fish stocking reports and see no mention of walleye stocking after the lake dried up during the drought years.  Maybe I missed something.  Of course, I know that Northern Pike were put into Minatare and Winters Creek and I can not find that on the stocking reports either.

If walleyes are in there, that would be great news!  Do you know if any perch showed up in the sampling?

Thanks for all the work you do to help improve our fisheries.

Good fishing,

Keith

Yes, that is the Winters Creek Reservoir just above Lake Minatare.  No, we have not stocked any walleyes in Winters Creek since 2002.  I wonder if it is possible that some walleyes would end up there coming downstream from someplace and then ending up "diverted" into Winters Creek.

Likewise we have not stocked any northern pike in Winters Creek recently, but some have been found in recent fish population sampling.  Minatare has not been stocked with any pike in years either.

Yes, our fisheries biologist did sample some yellow perch from Winters Creek last year, not a lot, but some and a handful of perch larger than 12 inches.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions I might be able to help with,

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
[urlhttp://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/][/url]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Yes, that is the Winters Creek Reservoir just above Lake Minatare.  No, we have not stocked any walleyes in Winters Creek since 2002.  I wonder if it is possible that some walleyes would end up there coming downstream from someplace and then ending up "diverted" into Winters Creek.

Likewise we have not stocked any northern pike in Winters Creek recently, but some have been found in recent fish population sampling.  Minatare has not been stocked with any pike in years either.

Yes, our fisheries biologist did sample some yellow perch from Winters Creek last year, not a lot, but some and a handful of perch larger than 12 inches.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions I might be able to help with,

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
[urlhttp://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/][/url]

Daryl,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes there are definitely walleye in the irrigation canals.  We see a fair number of small dead ones when the canals dry up in the fall.  With the high water for a couple years prior to last year, they probably did wash in from Glendo and Guernsey in Wyoming..  The river below Guernsey has had quite a few walleyes for several years.  Platte river water is diverted just east of Guernsey, Wyoming into the pathfinder canal which fills Lake Minatare and Winters Creek.

Thank you much,

Keith

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:08 PM »
Those walleye came from lake alice. They stock fingerling walleye in lake alice every year, and they go down the canal with irrigation water. They first go into little lake alice, then whatever goes through there go to either minatare or winters creek. What doesnt make it into the lakes goes down the highline. There are alot of walleye that never leave little lake alice, and a lot end up in winters creek. 

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Those walleye came from lake alice. They stock fingerling walleye in lake alice every year, and they go down the canal with irrigation water. They first go into little lake alice, then whatever goes through there go to either minatare or winters creek. What doesnt make it into the lakes goes down the highline. There are alot of walleye that never leave little lake alice, and a lot end up in winters creek.

Yes, walleyes were stocked in Lake Alice in 2012, 2013, and 2014.

Also were stocked directly in Lake Winters Creek in 2013 and 2014.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.