Author Topic: These d**m jigs  (Read 1309 times)

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
These d**m jigs
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Any one use these, i think they are called flutter bugs.  Their hookset rate is about 0%, at least mine is with them.  While I plan on never using them again, I was wondering if anyone has luck with them.  I would almost say they get hit more than other similar jigs, but i can't hook fish with them.  In the past have used them on tip ups, and had alot of strikes but rarely ended up with a fish.  Didn't use them at all last year, but picked a few up for some reason this fall. 

Last night, 5 strikes with a minnow on them, 3 hooked up for maybe half the fight, two for a couple seconds, but none of the fish made it to the hole.  On my other side didn't have this problem with the regular teardrops, but more action during that time was on the flutter bugs. 

It does seem (not in this picture but in real life) the hooks are a bit more open than normal.  I should have bent the hook in to see if this helped, but didn't. 

So, anyone use these POS jigs? 

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
Re: These d**m jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I have used them or at least something very similar and never had much luck either. I'm wondering if the little spoons get in the way when a fish strikes? I dunno ???
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I have used them with good luck but mainly with spikes on them.

Offline deer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:39 AM »
I use them all the time, have good luck with them on a jigging rod w/waxworms for crappies and bluegills.

DEER

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I normally use a minnow, maybe the minnow is to big with the spoons also? I'm going to give them a try with waxies and see what comes of it.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 10:01 PM »
I second (or third?) the waxies part. I think they're too small to use with anything but waxies or maybe a couple spikes (maggots). I haven't seen any to use with even the smallest crappie minnow.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline parker20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:41 AM »
turn the hook so it is offset from the jig

Offline Chuck_Tritz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:49 PM »
My buddy hammers gills and crappie with these...without even using bait.  If you're looking to get rid of em lemme know.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I'm sure they work great when a guy doesn't use bait, or at least larger bait. Given them a try this weekend with and without waxies, let ya know later.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2009, 08:51 AM »
I think they are great looking jigs.  Gonna get me a few of them.  Think theyd work great for gills and perch with a waxie.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.