Author Topic: Ice conditiond  (Read 3303 times)

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
Ice conditiond
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:28 PM »
So how will this rain effect our ice?

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice conditiond
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:43 PM »
probably wont be good till it all freezes solid again,  hopefully soon.
<br />

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007, 04:08 PM »
When will this rain go away? Please go away rain! You are allowed to comeback in the summer!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2007, 06:16 PM »
the snow helped save some of the ice. in fact on fox lake the ice underneath the slush is still good and hard. it will firm back up in a couple of days. its already firming back up. i'm still going ice fishing tomorrow morning. i'm gonna stay shallow, but im still going out.

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:24 PM »
I am checking ice thickness tomorrow. Who knows a line might have get wet if its thick enough. ;)

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:35 PM »
the snow helped save some of the ice. in fact on fox lake the ice underneath the slush is still good and hard. it will firm back up in a couple of days. its already firming back up. i'm still going ice fishing tomorrow morning. i'm gonna stay shallow, but im still going out.
Well, that's good to hear!

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:00 AM »
Be sure to tell us how it is... im at college and im coming home this weekend and i was banking on going onto the ice on monday........now maybe not. Hopefully it will be thick enough!!

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:05 AM »
the rain could be helpful....snow cover acts like insulation....

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:21 PM »
the rain could be helpful....snow cover acts like insulation....

As far as I can tell that is exactly what has happened.  The snow that lay on the existing ice has absorbed the rain and has made about another inch of good ice.  I checked a pond by my work today in davenport and it had 4.5 inches about 200 ft from shore.  Monday it didn't have that much.  SO maybe other spots had a similar reaction to the weather.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:36 PM »
We can only hope that is what happened.  I got the itch bad.  Maybe tommorrow I will go for a ride after work and do some scouting for tis weekend.
<br />

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2007, 10:11 PM »
the ice survived the rain just fine. just have to be carefull because alot of the water ended up draining through the ice. those spots where open water yesterday and just froze today. i will not fish without my spud bar right now.

Be carefull out there !

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2007, 06:25 PM »
went to mautinos today and checked.  found  3" on the 3 ponds I checked. Maybe this weekend.
<br />

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:19 PM »
Went out today to check the ice and mess around with my new flasher. Found 3 1/2" of ice. I will be out this weekend. Lots of black squids just avoid those.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:54 AM »
Anyone know how thick the ice is around the Peoria, IL. area in central IL? I live in Knox ad Fulton counties, just haven't been to any farm ponds to check the ice. I wonder if we have any at all.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:57 AM »
Hey crappiekid24,
 Excuse my ignorance, but what are "black squids", anyway? Is this a slang term or joke?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Fish81156

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:35 AM »
 I think he may be talking about cracks that are iced over again that will not be as stong as the rest of the ice so you should walk around them with caution. Thats going to be hard today with all the snow. If you get out today be extra careful you cant site the ice through the snow and the added weight will make some area very unsafe.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:54 PM »
No he was talking about the places where a spring is located.  You will notice a spot that looks like a squid all sprawled out omn the ice. These are the places wher the ice is thinner and generally weak.  They usually the last to freeze and the first to thaw.  So if on unfamiliar water stay on the beatten path so to say.
<br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.