Author Topic: Traveling Light....what do you use for a windbreak?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Traveling Light....what do you use for a windbreak?
« on: Sep 30, 2007, 06:16 PM »
Let's face it....when it comes to ice fishing, you can never have enough gear...right?  Especially this time of the year, we are all chomping at the bit to buy the latest stuff.  On the flip side, what I've always heard (and believe to be true, at least for me) for every 5 lbs of gear you drag on the ice, it is one less hole you will fish.  I've found that the lighter I go, the more often I go fishing and the more I am willing to move to find the fish.  To round out my lightweight setup, one thing that I have been looking for is some sort of windbreak.  I've thought of standing a sled on end and sitting in it, but then you have to completely empty it out.  Anyone come up with something that they use that is lightweight and quick?  Thanks!
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline ice man17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Traveling Light....what do you use for a windbreak?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2007, 06:56 PM »
i think that clamcorp or HT enterpises makes some sort of windbreaker style....or just buy one of those ice suits that clam corp makes...heard they work really well!!!

Offline IceFish4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2007, 09:06 PM »
You and I have been thinking the same thoughts!  In about a week (or so) I plan on rebuilding a dog sled (24" x 60").  I'd like to build a chest on the sled so all the gear is in one place.  I'm toying with the idea of crafting a windbreak of some type into this sled.  There hasn't been much thought on that subject at this point, but let's talk this through and see what comes of it.

I don't want to pull much more than I already do.  95% of my fishing includes my wife and two children so the wind break is for them as I'm not smart enough to get off the ice to hide (from the wind) in the trees.  It needs to be packable and fit in the chest.  Maybe a simple frame made with 3/4" conduit and a heavy duty tarp.  Ideally, I want a bit of a roof and some sides so we don't need to line up against the wall like kids playing a game of dodge-ball.  I'm not opposed to a clam type shack, but that's just more junk to clutter up my shed or garage.  Afterall, ice fishing is only about three months long up here.

What are your thoughts?

Offline eyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2007, 10:19 PM »
 I hope this works,I built one almost like it I got my ideas from this post  http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52206/  Sorry you will have to copy and paste

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2007, 10:39 AM »
You could use the poor man's wind break,  wrap an old blanket around yourself when you sit down.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline muggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2007, 11:06 AM »
I'd recommend an ice fishing/ survival suit like someone else has already mentioned.  I bought one by Buoy 'O Boy and it's great.  Completely cuts the wind, and if you we to go through it will save your life.  Very warm too.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2007, 11:20 AM »
Ok floatation suits do keep ya warm and alive if ya go thru.
They do not keep the wind off your line allowing for less contact= missed fish.

I have seen but do not support any of these except a portable hut.
Wind breaks. Any fabric that can withstand the abuse, sew loop in em for the posts and drill a hole for those post.
OK on weight but limits, mobility. Can be used for a base camp.
The sleds with a wind break a good(storage and performance), weight stinks and they tip easily.
Potarble blinds are good I have used on (light and quick assembly) stinks for mobility and high winds.

I use a two man frabill and will never change (clams are good too)
Only problem is the cost and some mobility issues once packed with tons of gear.
I keep the following in my hut that changes from time to time.
Rod locker4-6 rods softcase
Vex
5 tip ups.
Auger gas or hand
Tackle box
Soft drinks (mountain dew) Sandwiches.
Strainer, pliers, safety rope and ice picks

These all add up (weight) and are the basics on most outings I go on.
Also its a 70lbs hut w/o the stuff and I have no problem dragging it. That is till there is 12 inches of snow.
Comfort will allow you to fish way more holes then going light. When the fish move ya have to move and those days ya might want to just take a additional sled, vex, strainer and auger to find them and adjust.

If ya watch the "TEAM" they use all the sponsored expensive toys to make their outing easier. I wish I had a small snomobile or 4 wheeler to use, but then trailing this crap out to the lake and ice conditions limit your choices.

Its really a blend of the two mindsets and you have to find the combos that work for ya.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2007, 02:05 PM »
I will put on a rain coat (with a hood) and rain pants if it's windy and mobility is essential.  Nothing to set up or take down.  You can't get any more mobile than that. 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2007, 02:08 PM »
Ive seen guys using the HT wind break but I dont get it, the thing is so small and light, if you stand up, you will probably be running down the ice after this thing, a portable is the way to go....here is my technique from a crazy windy day last year

first an idea on the wind

after trying to set-up and failing, bent two of the ice screws we use to hold down the portable

so we tried this technique, and it worked great

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2007, 09:37 PM »
....what do you use for a windbreak?

3/4 ton Chevy. truck :roflmao:

I like my clam jr w/the door open for a wind break. A couple of pc. of galv. angle with holes drilled in it. and a few 60d spikes keeps it from running away. (yes I bring a hammer, and yes I pull the spikes and bring them home w/ me. "tread lightly, and leave no trail")

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2007, 06:20 AM »
Alas Im not smart enough to go light  :(   always over pack!   no matter where I go or what Im doing   
Ya should see me Just "HEATER HUNTING!"
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Ford F250 ;D
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2007, 03:15 PM »
Ford F250 ;D
Kinda what I ment by heater hunting   just in a real truck a GMC 4x4

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2007, 03:44 PM »
i like to build up a wall of frozen slush and snow, like a half-igloo

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2007, 06:17 PM »
I made this sled with the same idea of litewieght,easy to move, and haul all my stuff. To move this sled with the tent up I only have to use to bunge cords to hold the front tent legs up (the backlegs set on the ski) and it glides right along.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:00 AM »
that is way to fancy for fishin   looks more like impressing........and privacy  >:D lol    :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Man do some of ya only fish on nice days?
I get out as often as possbile, Only time I stay home or fish closer to home is when the wind is out of the east or unsafe ice.

I see some realistic pictures and yes Its hard to fish in anything other than a portable when the winds blowing and   
the weather foul. At time you can't get out of your hut because of the wind. Caught plenty on those days!
Man I look and listen and wonder will they ever figure it out???
Treat yourselves guys, ya can't take it with ya. If it takes a couple of years to get set up them so be it!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2007, 11:27 AM »
LOL. Nothing like ice fishing in a snow hurricane.

Ken                                          

Offline nacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:26 PM »

Also known as a blizzard.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:43 PM »
I had an older Jet Sled that had a seat in it. That was the cat's ars! Just stand it on end and sit down!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2007, 10:33 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Boy them bugalows help to break the wind tooo?
I usaully place the back of the hut to the wind, thats just me. Is there a reason you have your the oppopsite way?
The wind messes with the heater

Jean Cocteau

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Boy them bugalows help to break the wind tooo?
I usaully place the back of the hut to the wind, thats just me. Is there a reason you have your the oppopsite way?
The wind messes with the heater

That was my buddies fish trap. There wasn't any standing cane on the downwind side of the permanent like there was where he had his fish trap set up. The fish were all in the cane. I don't know why he had it set up with the side getting hit by the wind. Maybe he was using his pull rope as part of his ice anchor? I like to have my flipover's back to the wind also, 'cause that's where my anchor hooks are.
Ken                                          

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2007, 12:23 PM »
Kinda what I ment by heater hunting   just in a real truck a GMC 4x4

If the ice is thick enough, I use this as a wind break, either from the inside, or park it upwind of my shack. If the fishing is slow then it's from the inside with the DVD player goin. In the ONLY kind of truck  ;)

Last winter I put the topper on and would sit on the tailgate, and have enough room for everything I needed in the back and then some.

The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2007, 06:47 PM »
I'm kinda fond of my 61/2 x 12 wheel house. When the wind isn't blowing my hair off I use my Frabill XLT.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:51 AM »
Let's face it....when it comes to ice fishing, you can never have enough gear...right?  Especially this time of the year, we are all chomping at the bit to buy the latest stuff.  On the flip side, what I've always heard (and believe to be true, at least for me) for every 5 lbs of gear you drag on the ice, it is one less hole you will fish.  I've found that the lighter I go, the more often I go fishing and the more I am willing to move to find the fish.  To round out my lightweight setup, one thing that I have been looking for is some sort of windbreak.  I've thought of standing a sled on end and sitting in it, but then you have to completely empty it out.  Anyone come up with something that they use that is lightweight and quick?  Thanks!

20 or so years ago I built a small sled with a tarp that was a good wind break. They called it my throne. Heavy bugger due to the wooden box and skis. Somewhat of a pain to setup.

The FT Scout is much lighter than most of the stuff I've built/bought over the years and a great windbreak.

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:58 AM »
PS: on early ice if I don't have the atv along, to secure the scout when it is real windy I stick a something in the hole, tied to a rope, (horizontally pulling up against the ice) and attach the other end to the shack - like so....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.