Author Topic: Gear Tip - Chest Packs  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Gear Tip - Chest Packs
« on: Sep 17, 2007, 08:40 AM »
If many of you are like me, here's a tip that might of some interest.  One of the frustrations, albeit minor, that I've had when ice fishing is all the stuff in my pockets.  Hemostats, pliers, jaw spreaders, GPS, split shot, grubs, little mag light, clip on weights, sunglasses, etc...you name it, it's probably in at least one of my pockets.  Which pocket is always the question.  After the 100 pocket search, I invariably find what I'm looking for but is a bit annoying nonetheless.  About halfway through last year, I got the idea of using one of those small little chest packs that fly anglers use to organize everything.  It doesn't take up much room but there are enough little places for just about everything I need on the ice.  Better still is the fact that I now have on hand, all the little things that I might forget in my portable/shanty when I'm out checking tip-ups, new noles, etc.   Also, there are bunch out there on Sierra Trading with reduced pricing.  Just something that works for me. 
Chris Raymond

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Gear Tip - Chest Packs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2007, 11:15 AM »
...and another thing to pack along.   ;D  I like the idea for sure.  I kind of have smaller boxes,,,that i put in my pockets...so now i search my pockets for the right box...you know the drill!!  But it is a pain, when you get all the way to the farthest flag, only to find a pickeral has taken your treble hook,,,,and low and behold, your hooks are back by the sled....ugh.....BUT,,,,those sound like the good ole days....bring on the ice!!!!!

Offline Fredster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2007, 01:35 PM »
I think it's a fairly good idea.  For what it's worth, I purchased a heavy duty lanyard, and have put literally all my tools (hemo, clippers, led flashlight, small multi-tool, hook sharpener, etc. on this lanyard.  It's a little heavy, sort of an ice-fishing bling-bling setup.  But it does work well for finding my tools when I need them.  Oh and it keeps em from going down the hole too  :P

Fredster

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2007, 08:25 PM »
Ha! I did the same thing with a lanyard! My friends ca me Mr. T when I wear it! ;D

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2007, 08:59 PM »
I am on board with the lanyard deal as well - I've got just about everything you could need on it. Only problem I ever had was it flipping up and cracking me in the face while racing a buddy to a tip up. I know - you shouldn't run to your tip ups, but it was a party line that had a 13" smelt on it so we knew whatever took it was gonna be good so I wasn't about to let it go.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2007, 06:00 AM »
a party line that had a 13" smelt on it so we knew whatever took it was gonna be good so I wasn't about to let it go.
that should have gone in the fry pan   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2007, 07:46 AM »
So esox, what did you catch on that big smelt......I happened to be paging through a mag last night that had alot of military surpluss stuff in it, and there were lots of shoulder bags, grenade bags, etc...that I could envision holding lots of 'stuff' and still be portable.....'Quick, flag, grab the grenades!!!'  I could see my breath this am ......  its getting closer.......

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2007, 09:05 AM »
six pack carrier   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2007, 11:19 PM »
sorry - I should have concluded the race - I won the race and pulled in a 37" pike. skinniest pike of that length I've ever seen - it only weighed in at 4.5lbs but fought like a tiger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.