Author Topic: Flying Carp  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Wissota Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
Flying Carp
« on: Sep 16, 2007, 12:00 AM »
I saw several stories made about flying carp on CNN.  One of them tackling a guy, and another one of them bow hunting for these carp.  Anyone have any more information?  Should I be icefishing with a face shield?

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flying Carp
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2007, 08:12 AM »
I recorded a show on one of the outdoor networks one time called "Extreme Airial Bowfishing".  That was a really cool show.  Literally there were dozens of those 'silver' carp I believe, in the air at any given moment.  When they got into a school of them it looked like corn popping and they would shoot these things with bows right out of the air.  Would love to get over and take a crack at them sometime.  Boat driver was wearing a catchers mask  lol.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2007, 08:25 AM »
Not to digress to much, but my buddy and I were out on the Chippewa River and there were a few sturgeon jumping, well one of those suckers (had to be 4 1/2 to 5 feet long) jumps about 6 feet off port bow. (left front ;D) We were cruising along at about 25 to 30 mph. at the time. We slowed right down to a crawl after that. I like catching fish but not with my boat.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2007, 11:53 AM »
these carp are a infestion fish, they are traveling up the mississippi river, headed toward the great lakes devistating everything in their path....if they make it into the great lakes......they will become the dominant fish consuming everything......kill as many as you can.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2007, 05:13 PM »
these carp are a infestion fish, they are traveling up the mississippi river, headed toward the great lakes devistating everything in their path....if they make it into the great lakes......they will become the dominant fish consuming everything......kill as many as you can.

HONEY!!.... where's my bow? :afro:

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2007, 05:44 PM »
I heard that they actually taste good, but have never been able to get past their slimey good looks.  I don't have a problem with ling though...  The guy said they were a white meat fish that didn't have a real fishy flavor.  He said it was a pain to clean and had lots of bones.   Apparently, carp were introduced because europeans thought they were a delacacy. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline lunkerlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2007, 08:24 PM »
Thats correct.  Carp are a prized gamefish allover Europe, Asia, and Australia.  However, in the USA, they are a rough fish that ruin the lakes for other fish.

This is why I've been spearing carp for the last 2 years and just got a bow and have started bowfishing for carp.  Nothing gives me a better feeling than knowing that every carp I kill is one less fish to eat the eggs of other fish!  Plus its really fun.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:06 PM »
this is my first year bowfishing for carp and I have had a great time.

Were the guys that were shooting the flying carp using a larger fletching like you use for bird hunting with your bow?

From the video I've seen I might wear more than just a catchers mask - put on all the catchers gear. now that would be a sight

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:34 PM »
[I heard that they actually taste good, but have never been able to get past their slimey good looks.  I don't have a problem with ling though...  The guy said they were a white meat fish that didn't have a real fishy flavor.  He said it was a pain to clean and had lots of bones.   Apparently, carp were introduced because europeans thought they were a delacacy. 

Now, I have heard that carp were introduced into America back during the Great Depression as a food source because of the fact of how quickly carp grow, the numbers they reproduce in, and the size they become. Has anyone else ever heard that? ???
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.