Author Topic: Ice fishing suit?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
Ice fishing suit?
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Looking to buy a quality ice fishing suit-- jacket and bibs.  Any info or advice on what to get ;)
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing suit?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:25 AM »
I really like my Cabela's Ice Angler gear.  The Striker stuff seems to be popular among IS posters.

Recent discussions:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=268958.msg2796966#msg2796966
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=267554.msg2758396#msg2758396
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Indy-Travis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Several good ones, depends on your price range.  I picked up a black Frabill suit on a late season clearance a few years back, the next one below the "Snowsuit" and really like it.  I have friends with the Clam blue(uninsulated) and the grey insulated suits who like them, and another who has the floating suit who really likes it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Insulated or un insulated? Float suit or not? A little more info would help unless you are looking for ten pages of different opinions. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Here's a suggestion that works well for me. I purchased a Cabelas Guide Series rainsuit(uninsulated) consisting of parka and bibs several years ago and it works great all year. Its Gore-tex and double reinforced in the knees. I can layer underneath it and I have kneeled in slush and standing water with no leakage. Plus in the summer, I use it for fishing.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:00 PM »
arctic armor....
super light
priced right
incredibly warm  and if all that isn't enuff....
its the one that floats!

there is a sponsor on the indiana page that has them priced right and he ships quick.  was in his store and has them in stock!!
pro tackle outfitters.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Ranger Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
  • God bless you and your family!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:03 PM »
I like my blue Ice armor. Its not to heavy but plenty warm for me and not restricting! Also I went with the blue suit over the gray because its great early spring late fall on in the boat! I also have Arctic armour and its good as well!
YOU CANT CATCH EM ON THE COUCH!!

Offline adam2369

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:04 PM »
X2 for Arctic Armor. Been using mine for 4 years now and never been cold. -6 in ADKs couple weekends ago and I only went to the shanty a couple of times.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Got the red Arctic Armor bibs from Dicks a month or so ago online.  No complaints, super warm, knee pads, barely needed a jacket last weekend (10 degrees).  You can get an online coupon for No shipping charge.  Also, my local Dicks has 25% off all ice fishing supplies right now.  Just got an XL Jet Sled for just under $60.

Offline Sweet Daddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Striker Ice Suit.   4XL is perfect for me.  Warm and light weight, lots of pockets and it floats...Not that I want to find out... :)

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I have a Striker Lite, it's awesome.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Striker Climate coat, Hardwater bibs. I fish mostly alone, so floatation for me was a +..Extremely warm..

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:03 PM »
I have had  the Frabill Sno Suite for three years and that thing is bullet proof. It is my go to for super cold weather and it is rugged enough that I can wear it to work on the days when wind chills are in the -30 range. It does not float (I wear a PFD)  but for me that wasn't as important as the other features it has that others didn't.

Cost was definitely a concern but I have no doubt the suite will last 7-10 years making it very affordable.

WS

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:12 PM »
What ever you get, get one that floats. There are 4 or 5 companies out there right now that offer them.

I just went thru this same decision last year. I went with the Striker Ice Hardwater bibs/jacket. Its made for Icefisherman, floats, and is very durable.

The close second was the Arctic Armor. But there were MANY complaints of its breathe-ability. After wearing for a period of time you start to get that "swampy" feeling.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Stryker Gear.

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:39 PM »
What ever you get, get one that floats. There are 4 or 5 companies out there right now that offer them.

The close second was the Arctic Armor. But there were MANY complaints of its breathe-ability. After wearing for a period of time you start to get that "swampy" feeling.

I have been wearing the Arctic Armor for 4 years and they have been okay.. First off there are cold spots on the shoulder areas.. Breath-ability is awful! Do not wear the coat if you walk out to your spot or you will be a sweaty mess!

And the construction is not as good as the Ice Armor or a few other brands I have checked out.  Also they are not as waterproof as they are advertised I have been caught in the rain a couple of times and they did leak around the hood and shoulders.

But on the positive side they are a flotation devise and I did test them in lake Huron in the first summer I owned them and they worked quite well so the bad points are overridden by the this IMO.. I just layer up to combat the cold spots and don't rely on them for rain wear.  Just my .02

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:41 PM »
My buddy has a strikemaster one and it as piece's to it that if you fall in has a cleat/ spike thing on by the wrists to pull yourself up
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline Striker7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:15 PM »
I see your from NY as am I so here is what I did. I wanted something that floats but because we are required to wear USCG approved devices from Nov-May open water  I went with a coat made by Onox for early , late, or questionable ice. Cost 79.00
I also p icked up a nice ice fishing suit from Sportmanguide bibs @ parka between joining thier buyers club free shipping , sale , etc got it for 90.00 . Between the two I'm covered,

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:15 AM »
I saw the ice parka and bibs in sportsmans guide looks nice.  I really would like to try a suit on before I buy one.  Anyone know the closest place to find these suits??  Utica, Syracuse, Binghamton??  Bass pro, Gander??
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:18 AM »
i went with clam ice armor and the leg snaps broke off right away.
i watched my buddy fall thru ice and realized i need a flotation device. looked into auto fill life jackets and was told they fill too slow
then i spotted artic armor at my favorite store (D&R sports) and read how it will not only float yourself, but two others or 900 pounds body weight forever and i like how it was built looking at it in  person with lots of colors to pick from and size options was better than clam. you pick what size bib sold separately and coat sold separately. clam was both on one hanger no mixing or matching allowed and didn't save life's

i was sold on the spot and it has saved my life one time now and that makes it priceless when it happens to you and your family

it is cold on the shoulders and i take a down vest if i need it, but i don't because i have 2 shanties and 3 heaters. i bought it to save lives with and thats the main reason any thing else is bonus, but has lots of pockets
 is light, stops wind, is durable (all black version is)

you should educate your self how well the suit you pick will save your life or not and how well it will do it or not

pulling over 100 pounds of gear is a workout no doubt and you will sweat no doubt. some take extra clothes to change into after they get into their shanty because it doesn't matter what coat you have on, the sweat will pass onto the next layer of clothing if you wear the right base layer. so dress right and you will be comfortable

Offline golfmechhs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Arctic Armor all the way. Haven't even used the shanty this year as this suit is so warm. Wind is not an issue anymore either. Used to wear Carhartts but won't go fishing without my Arctic Armor any more. Having been through the ice before, this was really the only option in my opinion. Works great and love it.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I know some people who have sold their Arctic Armor Suits and purchased Striker Ice Suits and say there is no comparison in quality, warmth, durability, and breathe ability..

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I know people that have wadded up their Striker suit and thrown it in a fire barrel and then set fire to it so they could go buy an Arctic Armor suit and be nice and safe and comfortable and warm when they wear it.

Fourth year on my Artic Armor suit and wouldn't trade it for 2 Striker suits!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:00 AM »
I know people that have wadded up their Striker suit and thrown it in a fire barrel and then set fire to it so they could go buy an Arctic Armor suit and be nice and safe and comfortable and warm when they wear it.

Interesting, I wouldn't mind hearing the reasons for doing this? Other than burning a $300+ snow suit.

Offline 1tohuntandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I have artic armor and I am going to buy the striker suit.  Both float, but artic armor is not waterproof.  I hate wet knees or worse if you end up in slush or rain.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I have artic armor and I am going to buy the striker suit.  Both float, but artic armor is not waterproof.  I hate wet knees or worse if you end up in slush or rain.

i sit on my knees a lot and its all wet slush and water right now and has been. my knees never get wet. the fabric will absorb water as will any fabric. some use water proofing chemicals to try to keep that from happening, but it doesn't work at least not for me. the insultex is water proof that they use to float you so your skin will not get wet unless water finds a way thru the threads (never has happened to me in my artic armor knees) like it can on any garment that is full of holes for thread to be installed. even my over priced columbia wear is water proof but lets water in thru the stitches. my water proof boots let water in thru the stitches

you should read strikers claim on it's buoyancy and compare it to what you have now, if that is the reason to wear such a suit in the first place (it is my main reason). striker claims to hold 12# (one average person) for UP TO 2 hours. makes me wonder what the worst case scenario time is and average times are.

the suit you have now will hold 900# or 4 persons for ever. this means you can help 3 others while you are all in water. this means it floats body weight better by far.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:50 AM »
 hmmm
I have both an Arctic Armor suit and a Striker suit

I wear the Striker suit
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:57 AM »
the suit you have now will hold 900# or 4 persons for ever. this means you can help 3 others while you are all in water. this means it floats body weight better by far.

Im not looking to become a human raft lol. If you and 5 buddies fall thru the same hole i think there may be bigger issues at play here.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Im not looking to become a human raft lol. If you and 5 buddies fall thru the same hole i think there may be bigger issues at play here.

im not either, the point is that it does a much better job of floating and thats why i wear mine

as for other issues, i suppose i agree that if 5 people fell thru ice, the issue would be that they found some bad ice and the ones w/o a float suit will be needing help and maybe even panic and try to use you to get out a live

at least we agree that a float suit should be considered when shopping for an ice fishing suit

i would sell my ice armor (blue, like new) to the op, but i don't want to see him make the same mistake i did and buy a suit that is not meant to float at least one person

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2014, 01:49 PM »
I got the original red Arctic Armor suit 7 years ago.  I've liked it a lot but the bibs are finally to the point of needing to be replaced.  They've been patched up a couple times now but are finally to the point of no fixing... basically shredded.  6.5 good ice seasons of hard use (add in work and duck hunting the last couple years) so I can't really complain but nothing to gloat about either.  The coat on the other hand is still basically perfect because I don't wear it very often, I won't be replacing that anytime soon.

I will be getting new bibs this spring when stuff goes on sale, I am considering the Striker Hardwater or another pair of AA bibs.  The main reason for the Striker is I'm hoping for them to last longer, but the turnoff is they are much heavier and won't be as waterproof when the DWR wears off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.