Author Topic: What is the strangest thing you found in a fishes stomach ?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What is the strangest thing you found in a fishes stomach ?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Fishing in VA years ago I would set out jugs for catfishing every evening baited with 4-5" shad. Each morning I would hop in the boat and go on a hunt to find them. I saw one bobbing up and down and once I got it it had a nice channel cat maybe 10lb. Found one of my jugs with the nylon line frayed right next to where it was tied off on the 2 liter bottle. After I got back to camp I was cleaning my catch and my uncle was setting there and said what a full stomach the biggest cat had, cut it open and see what it's got in there he told me. I slit it open and out fell 2 shad both with hooks in them. It had ate the 1st one and apparently kept going and swallowing the line all the way to the 2 liter bottle and ended up fraying it and then found the one that caught him. My uncle just mumbled real low....we should have had a video for that one, no one will ever believe that if you tell them.   

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Not too interesting but a 12" crappie with a 12" bass worm in its stomach.  Its amazing the size of the things fish try to eat. I saw pics of a 12" bass with a 10" shad stuck in its mouth flopping on the surface. I caught a 4" perch on a 10" bass worm with a 4/0 hook.  It must of been aiming just for the hook.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Midway through the Wi walleye run i cleaned a limit of walleye and everyone of them had frogs in their guts..... The reptiles must have just come out of hiding for the winter and the eyes were capitalizing.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Years ago there was a story in Field and Stream where a guy had accidentally dropped his wedding band in a stream in the mountains in California. The guy went fishing there sometime later and --you guessed it -- he caught a trout, and when cleaning it his wedding band was in it's stomach!

I was fishing with a guy on the Maumee River in Ohio for walleye and he had his landing net come loose from his waders and apparently he lost it. When he finally hooked into his last walleye to fill his bag limit it came in really hard and he thought he had a really big one on. Turned out it was just an average male but it was tangled in his landing land so he go it back and also limited out!

As a taxidermist I found a full size crow in the stomach of a Canadian northern, and with another pike it had a 19 inch northern in it's stomach. I also mounted a bass that had a good size rock in it's stomach. I don't believe it was from a tournament (cheating) as it wasn't a lake where they had tournaments.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:17 AM »
We were out fishing one time and I hooked a pike. A short battle ensued, and the pike was the victor, leaving me with one less white mr twister jig. A couple hours later I hooked another one, and this time I won the battle. When I fileted him later, I recovered my white mr twister from deep within his bowels. The same fish was still hungry with a hook literally in his stomach. I guess its a good thing i caught him again or he would have died a real slow painful death.
Still counting.....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Wow, that's amazing.  I always wanted to catch the same pike that stole my jigs.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Two years ago fishing for small mouths with a buddy and he caught a nice one.. While trying to get the lure out the bass regurgitated a small rat or a very large mouse....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline KeepaCatcha

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:25 PM »
this maybe isnt too weird but i found like 7 or 8 whole snails in the belly of a trout i caught earlier this year

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:01 PM »
When I fileted him later, I recovered my white mr twister from deep within his bowels. The same fish was still hungry with a hook literally in his stomach.

we must have stupid pike here in SK...was fishing last winter with two friends.  were fishing light line, small jigs for walleye when i got bit off by a small jack.  minutes later buddy gets bit off, same fish turns around and smacks the other guys' hook and this time ends up on the good side of the ice.  was smaller than i like to keep but having a buckshot spoon and another jig in his belly he came home.  got our hooks back and had some poor man's lobster.

JJ

« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:05 PM »
you chewed gum you found in a fish?

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Worms. Not the ones you fish with but the parasite and it was in a Perch is was nasty!  :sick: Look up Tongue-Eating Parasite its a nasty thing!

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:09 PM »
Found a baby duck in the stomach of a largemouth my brother had caught.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline trampas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:03 AM »
speared a 12lb northern and found a 13 inch pickeral in its stomache

Offline smokeybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:15 PM »
I've always looked in the gut to see what the fish have been eating, but haven't found anything strange yet. 
I remember being impressed as a youngster when my Grandpa pulled a duckling out of a pike.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Believe this,a rock,yes a rock,and all the time I was using all those jigs that you have to buy,and all you have to use is a rock. Will wonders never cease? Jerry

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:32 AM »
ive never really found anything interesting except for a couple hooks and i found a lure once but that was in the fishes mouth not stomach

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:54 PM »
while fishing the kenai in alaska i reeled in my spinner to find a brand new pair of pliers on my hook, thought that was weird. another time fishing lake ontario for salmon, i hooked one, fought him and he got off a few minutes later, reeled in and had a trolling spoon hooked through the swivel that was on it, fish must have snapped another guys line and i hooked the swivel when he swam by. have pulled cigarette butts and sticks out of trout. was a trout in a stream here that was huge and everyone was trying to snag him, he had 11 rooster tails and panther martins in his side, i never caught him but who ever did made out with a bunch of goodies. have caught fish with hooks and lures in their mouth too.

JJ

« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Over there years I've found lots of used plastic lures in the bellies of lakers, they must grab them off the bottom.  A couple had stomachs full of them; here's a 27" lake trout that liked the "senko" types, the largest one was 10 or 12".

Offline brookiechaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:06 AM »
One time fly fishing in canada with a couple of buddies I tied into a laker, when we got him to shore I noticed a tail sticking out of his mouth.  The laker I caught was 24" and when we pulled the other fish out we saw that it was also a laker that measured 15", crazy :o
Kids screaming and chasing flags...... that is what it is about!

Offline edneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:23 AM »
About five years ago I caught a eight pound channel cat with a baby gray squirrel in its gut.

Offline Yukon Roz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:37 AM »
caught a 5 pound bass with a water snake in its stomach just glad the snake was dead!

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:42 AM »
i caught a 22 inch rainbow at east canyon a couple weeks ago, he had three jiggin hooks in his guts and a couple tube jigs...

i once gutted a catfish and found a pocket knife in him, it was a big pocket knife too...

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:30 AM »
Over there years I've found lots of used plastic lures in the bellies of lakers, they must grab them off the bottom.  A couple had stomachs full of them; here's a 27" lake trout that liked the "senko" types, the largest one was 10 or 12".

(Image removed from quote.)
That's got to be one of the more incredible I've seen.  Mostly because that much plastic in its gut would almost have to have caused an obstruction.  Amazing it wasn't in terrible condition.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.