Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Jigging

Ripping rap rod

(1/3) > >>

Tuma:
I am wondering what kind of action and how you would want your rod to respond to using baits like jigging raps, ripping rap, chubby darter, ect…  I am not looking for any brand names of rods but how you see them react to using the lure and why you like it.

For example: (not sure if this would be a good design) at rest the lure puts a light load on the tip and has a fast light tip to keep the line tight when jigging.  About 3” back moves into a heaver section into a fast action rod for hook ups.

I am going to start using these types of lures this year and am looking for some advice on how to shape the blank on the rod I am making.  Thank you for your replies.

perchnut:
Im thinking glass, a semi fast tip, and a rod with enough backbone to set the hook, but also a little forgiveness as to not rip it out of the fishes mouth, if that makes sense.....

appleye:
I like a lake trout style for, some back bone to set the hook with a bit of tip. I use a med/heavy but also use a medium a lot with lighter raps and rippin raps when smaller walleye on the prowl. I been using Basskang blanks, but they are out of stock right now.

Tuma:
Thank you for the insight perchnut.  That makes sense.  I have never ice fished with this style of baits.  So that helps.

Appleye, are you saying you like the Basskang trout carbon blank for this?  I do have two of them in my shop.

appleye:
I really like the Basskang blank! I think it's about prefect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version