Author Topic: Argo experiences in MB?  (Read 1771 times)

RallyGreen

Argo experiences in MB?
« on: Nov 23, 2017, 09:33 AM »
I'm looking at different models of argos and sxs for ice fishing with kids or in-laws (so cabin heat matters) and am wondering what argo owners have to say about service and parts in MB? I have done a fair bit of small engine and snowmobile work so could likely handle some of the maintenance, but having the option of taking it into a dealer would be nice. Are the dealers in general able to service those machines or are they just sold "off the corner of their desk?" Since sxs are so popular, I figure service wouldn't be an issue, but am leaning towards an argo.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Argo experiences in MB?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:49 AM »
A friend picked up a used one this summer, it was a few years old and turned out to need some bearings and seals. He's a cheap old bugger so he went to the dealer for parts and didn't have any issues getting what he needed and they gave him some pointers on how to do the repair. He could of had them do the work to but like I said, he's cheap. I'm not sure what shop it was that he went to but I'm sure he just looked up Argo dealers.

Offline JohnF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Check out 6x6world.com
Ask your question there.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Well if you can’t do basic maintenance ( bearings,seals, chains, belts) standing on your head you better buy near new. Bearing, seals, chains can be bought at any most shops not a big deal. I’ve had older Argos and had issues with axles, shear pins, trans. Motors, carburetors etc., drive one day fix another. Buy fuel injected with newer admiral transmission with tracks and do your maintenance, you’ll love it. If you want a machine to rip around with buy a sled, side by side or quad.

RallyGreen

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2017, 04:07 PM »
Thanks folks! I've put too much time and money into rebuilding old sleds and vehicles, so even my wife has said "You'd better buy something brand new this time." I'm fortunate enough that buying new is an option... but maybe that's because I've been so thrifty with machines, haha. Just looking for slow and steady, with enough pulling power to drag a permie down the line.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2017, 04:31 PM »
ive seen many side by sides stuck in snow and slush on the ice, but  argos with or without tracks are unstoppable.not going to win any races but will make it to the finish line.a couple of my buddies have them and they are little tanks but  lighter and float.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Argos are great machines. but word of caution from my experience. When you cross swamp, water with 1 machine where you can’t walk back you are on your own! An Argo without tracks will cross frozen snow, but if the day warms and snow turns soft the machine will hang up on its big fat belly. It happened to me on a lake and lucky someone came along to give  us a ride. Had to return next morning to retrieve it. We use our machine to pull a koender hut and haul them on a trailer. Drive on/back off and Ready to go to any lake and no worry about damage, theft of your hut.

Offline muddpuppy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:51 AM »
This question for Flat liner.... that old bugger you talk about would that be Ted???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.