Author Topic: 12 Volt sealed lead-acid batteries 7.2 Amp/Hour  (Read 2462 times)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
12 Volt sealed lead-acid batteries 7.2 Amp/Hour
« on: Dec 04, 2006, 05:22 AM »
How long on average do you get out of your 12 volt sealed lead-acid batteries? Not daily, but years?
The 7.2 Amp/Hour rechargeables. I have a couple that just won't quit! Mine are made by Vexilar. Starting to wonder, can this be true or what? ???

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: 12 Volt sealed lead-acid batteries 7.2 Amp/Hour
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2006, 09:56 AM »
I have a couple that are 6 years old and a couple that are a few years older and still going strong.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2006, 10:18 AM »

Over the years I say the average for me has been about 5 years. Some went longer but 5 is the average. The important thing is to remember to recharge the battery in the off months.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2006, 04:24 AM »
Thanks for the info ice dawg and LoneWolf. I have one just over six years and the other is older than that. Still getting 12.86 volts out of the oldest. They sure beat the old motorcycle batteries we used before. Might get another season or so out of them. Thanks again.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Below is a chart I printed out several years ago just for a quick reference.  Where I work we have a cadex battery analyzer which I put my 12v gel cell batteries on each year. I was surprised this year that I got 100% output on a battery I've used just for my flashers the last 3 years. And this battery was used in other equipment a few years before I started using it. I charge mine after each day on the ice and keep a spare ready for the following day out.

Ken                                          

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:40 PM »
The batteries that I have in my hard side ice house were in a pair gain telephone system that I replaced and they are still going strong. I think that one problem that some  people have with their lead acid batteries is that they treat them like NiCads and run them flat before recharging.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Over the years I say the average for me has been about 5 years. Some went longer but 5 is the average. The important thing is to remember to recharge the battery in the off months.

LoneWolf,  do you think they will last that long when used for the Strikemaster Electra?...

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2006, 04:50 AM »
Below is a chart I printed out several years ago just for a quick reference. 
Thanks for posting this chart Bean. It really is a helpful reference to quickly find out the current status of your battery. Will use it often. Appreciate it.
I think that one problem that some  people have with their lead acid batteries is that they treat them like NiCads and run them flat before recharging.
I think your right on ice dawg, Bean said it also, charge after every use. Funny thing is, it says that right on the top of the battery. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.