Author Topic: What causes water to go up and down in your ice hole?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody know what actually causes the water to go up and down in an ice hole? Ever experience that? I'm thinking it's pressure waves from contracting ice. I believe I've noticed it when the ice was cracking and quite thick. Just wondering as I brought it up on another forum and no one seems to know.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What causes water to go up and down in your ice hole?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Only thing I can think of is the weight of the ice pushing down on the water, compressing it, and water isn't easily compressed, that is why hydraulics are so effective.  The water will work its way to the hole to relieve some of the compressed pressure, causing it to move up and down. 
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2005, 01:44 PM »
Crappie66,

Makes sense, but it seems compression from the weight of things on the ice, as in water or snow would be a more gradual process than a wave coming through rather quickly, which is what it seems like.

And Ice by itself is also floating isn't it because it has a lower specific gravity than H2O?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline firefighter220

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2005, 02:16 PM »
Crappie is right about the weight pushing down, creating more pressure.  As far as the weight of ice, think of an iceburg.  how much is actually below the water. 

Rusty

Offline musicmanmobiledj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2005, 05:45 AM »
i would have to say weight causes it since i have plenty of that i notice it alot on thinner ice lol it works good for jigging multiple poles.............j/k

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2005, 05:25 PM »
Think of it this way, water is displaced by ice, if you put ice in a glass of water, the water rises closer to the top.with the weight of the snow and human weight, the water has no place to go except through the holes. well thats my theory!
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.