Author Topic: Probably gonna argue, but I got to get it off my chest.....this bothers me.  (Read 17962 times)

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
  Here's how it was explained to me. Our human ancestors were a good deal hairier than we are now. the gene that caused that hairiness still exists within us all. The passage of time has rendered that gene inactive, for the most part, in all but a few individuals.

i must be a throwback... all except for the top o' my noggin that is!

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sorry to be the dumb one here, but with all this male and female gill talk, can someone please let me know the easiest way to tell the difference. Thanks!!

I'll take a stab at it... Male gills' are typically darker than females, they usually have an orange breast compared to the females yellow breast. This is more pronounced during the spawn, and during the winter the colors may fade out quite a bit making it hard to distinguish. The next thing I look at is the opercular flap, (eartab). It will be bigger, and possibly more squared off on a male fish vs. a female. Check the end of the dorsal fin, closest to the tail. Gills have a dark spot right there, it can be darker on males, although not always. On the "shoulders" of the fish, take a look at the scales... a male will have black edges to the scales there, called tipping. Bear in mind that much of this is variable.. there are few sure things, at least for me, and I've been wrong plenty of times. When the fish are immature, it gets even harder.

Offline renzettimaster85

• IceShanty Rookie
Ok.  I am sure I am going to get dinged big time for this post and probably going to make a lot of people mad, but I got to say it........  Why can't some of the people in this great sport take more care about the very thing we pursue..............th e fish.

I love reading the reports of people slaying fish.  I love hearing about people having great days and catching tons of fish.  I love it.  I love that people are good anglers and enjoy the outdoors.   I do get frustrated though by some of the numbers of fish people talk about keeping to eat..............   Call me names, call me jealous, call me whatever, but I just don't see why some people have to keep hundreds of fish to eat..............   There are many days on the water (both hard and soft water) where I catch big numbers of fish I could keep, but I keep enough for a meal or two and put the rest back.........  I have a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) and if I keep 20 good size gills that makes a nice meal for us (with sides etc).  If I keep 10 good size crappies thats a meal for us.  On the big side I will keep 40 good gills so I have a meal and a meal to freeze.   I rarely do that though.  Maybe once a year I'll freeze some fish.   

If your fishing a private pond and they want fish taken out etc, or a lake that is going to be killed off or something, thats one thing, but if your fishing a public lake and taking out 100 fish each trip out...... thats eventually going to make an impact on the size of the fish and the population of fish in that lake.   Unless you are harvesting selectively.   Most of these guys I see, who are obviously good fisherman because they are catching these high numbers of fish,  are not selecting and releasing the bigger breeders, but throwing anything that can be filleted and larger straight into the bucket........   To me, thats a bad idea.   Maybe I am alone here and should keep quiet, but I just don't see why in these times someone has to keep such high numbers of fish??????

If your out of work and need the food then I would never say a word about it.  More power to you.   But, if your sitting in a fancy shanty, using a vexilar, an underwater camera, and using a high dollar snowmobile to get out on the lake..........my guess is you can afford to eat things in addition to fish.  If you only ice fish, then maybe you keep fish to eat all year.  Most guys I know that ice fish also fish the rest of the year too though.    Now I know there are some guys who give fish to others who cant fish for one reason or another and thats ok too, but within reason. 

The other thing I also just can't stand is to see a bunch of dead dink bluegills laying all over the ice!!!  If you catch a dink and your not going to eat it.....put it back in the *@#@* lake!!!!!!!!!   I don't care what you have been told..............in a large lake like Wawassee, James, etc you are not helping the size of fish in the lake by throwing these juvenile fish on the ice to die............  If you gut hook one and it is going to die thats one thing. You can clean it or leave it for the birds or whatever.  But if its healthy when you unhook it put it back. 

Just my humble opinion and I would never say anything to anyone who wasn't breaking any regulations.  Its not my place to say something to anyone and I am no better then anyone else, but I just feel like sometimes I see otherwise good fisherman brutalizing a great sport that I love.    Take care of the fish we pursue and we will continue to have great fishing.   Treat them like crap.....and we'll have crap fishing to look forward to.   

Yell at me all you want, but thats how I feel.       Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post and I am one of those guys that keep alot of fish example had a good day and me and a buddy caught 76 heres my reasoning for keeping the fish I did.

I only ice fish for food reasoning: I do not own a boat and this is the only way I have access to GOOD fishing spots at my own will(not tagging along with buddys)

I eat what I kill:in my freezer I have 3 year and a half to three and a half year old does I shot this year it might be enough meat to get me to next deer season, about 300 or so assorted blue gill and crappie, a few trout and salmon, and 1 package of chicken breast and quarters

This is the meat me and my fiance will live on for this year TRUST ME this food will not go to waste It will be greatly appreciated in this economy and yes we are both unemployed.

But I agree it does sicken me to see people fill buckets with fish, brag about it, then end up throwing it away at the end of the year cause they don't eat the fish. This is a wast of a precious commodity that time and time again is abused.

Offline denhar

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dont judge law abiding fishermen. Bass fishing catch and release for what bigger bigger bigger for what. Go fishing enjoy your self.eat it, freeze it, eat it later. throw them all back I DONT CARE what you do. THey are called pan fish for a reason

Offline stizzle72

• IceShanty Rookie
Ya this is why i can no longer ice fish at any of the ponds in st john as of last year  bc jackoffs who dont even live in the town would come and take all the fish out.

Offline Biggs033

• IceShanty Rookie

I'll take a stab at it... Male gills' are typically darker than females, they usually have an orange breast compared to the females yellow breast. This is more pronounced during the spawn, and during the winter the colors may fade out quite a bit making it hard to distinguish. The next thing I look at is the opercular flap, (eartab). It will be bigger, and possibly more squared off on a male fish vs. a female. Check the end of the dorsal fin, closest to the tail. Gills have a dark spot right there, it can be darker on males, although not always. On the "shoulders" of the fish, take a look at the scales... a male will have black edges to the scales there, called tipping. Bear in mind that much of this is variable.. there are few sure things, at least for me, and I've been wrong plenty of times. When the fish are immature, it gets even harder.
Thanks for the info... now that you say it, I have noticed some of the differences between them. I have about an acre and a half pond on my property that has been producing some really nice gills ( 8-9 incers). I have really learned a lot from all your posts about managing private water. Thanks All!! :thumbsup:

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think those who are upset can't or don't catch that many fish.  If someone catches 100 fish a day but only fishes on Saturday, is he worse than the person who catches 25 fish a day Monday through Friday?  If you were super serious about hurting a fishery, there would be a lake limit set and once everyone's total hit it, fishing would be shut off.  Stupid right?  Not possible or practical on a large public body of water. 

Do what you feel is right ethically and leave me alone.  I like to catch large numbers and am proud that I have put in the time and skill to be able to do it regularly.  This involves going to the right lake, at the right time, using the right lure, presenting the lure the right way, and managing to land the fish. 

I'm pretty sure I fish the same lakes in about the same rotation year after year and manage the same successes.  Right now the fishing is slowing due to pressure.  There are so many fish down there that are turned off by all the fishing going on that we aren't going to "fish out" a lake.  Heck look at Docksiders on James.  Every year it is pounded on for a few weeks with lots of big numbers and size taken home.  Then fishing slows and a few struggle eventually causing the number of fishermen to dwindle.  Next year, the same thing happens. 

Leave it to the biologists to make the decisions about whether the fisheries are being hurt.  Have your opinion but understand not everyone thinks like you.  I disagree with your post and don't think you are as educated as you may believe.  But that is only my opinion and doesn't really matter. 

Jonesy

Offline renzettimaster85

• IceShanty Rookie
I think those who are upset can't or don't catch that many fish.  If someone catches 100 fish a day but only fishes on Saturday, is he worse than the person who catches 25 fish a day Monday through Friday?  If you were super serious about hurting a fishery, there would be a lake limit set and once everyone's total hit it, fishing would be shut off.  Stupid right?  Not possible or practical on a large public body of water. 

Do what you feel is right ethically and leave me alone.  I like to catch large numbers and am proud that I have put in the time and skill to be able to do it regularly.  This involves going to the right lake, at the right time, using the right lure, presenting the lure the right way, and managing to land the fish. 

I'm pretty sure I fish the same lakes in about the same rotation year after year and manage the same successes.  Right now the fishing is slowing due to pressure.  There are so many fish down there that are turned off by all the fishing going on that we aren't going to "fish out" a lake.  Heck look at Docksiders on James.  Every year it is pounded on for a few weeks with lots of big numbers and size taken home.  Then fishing slows and a few struggle eventually causing the number of fishermen to dwindle.  Next year, the same thing happens. 

Leave it to the biologists to make the decisions about whether the fisheries are being hurt.  Have your opinion but understand not everyone thinks like you.  I disagree with your post and don't think you are as educated as you may believe.  But that is only my opinion and doesn't really matter. 

Jonesy

Well put.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline checherdfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
i just dont wana clean 1000000 fish at a time so so go ahead  America, catch , clean , eat. just take care of our homeland, and there will be plenty for all.     

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I've been lurking around this forum for 5 winters now, and good or bad I've said more today than I ever thought I would. (I'm willing to go back to lurking after this post). I've appreciated the different viewpoints expressed, even if I didn't agree with everything that was said. This was obviously an emotional topic for some, and understandably so. No one likes to feel that their rights, or privileges are under fire from someone they don't agree with. If I have come across this way to anyone, please be aware that was not my intention. I merely wanted to share what I've learned through much hard work, (and more than a little trial and error),about what it takes to make, and maintain a quality Bluegill fishery.
 Barring some sort of unforeseen catastrophe, I will have raised several fish over a pound by summer's end. That is my benchmark, or what I consider a trophy. I don't say this to brag, merely to establish that, for me, what I've suggested here in this thread works. I don't believe that this is the solution for every body of water, because as we've discussed earlier, there are too many variables involved. If the water you fish keeps cranking out big gills' then I see no reason why they shouldn't be harvested. I think that's how it should be. It was brought up a couple times today that the fisheries biologist should decide the status of a fishery. I agree, and I think they do a good job. However, from the research I've done, I think they only survey a given body of water every 6-7 years? There are more and more people fishing all the time and a lot can change in that time frame. What looks good in this year's survey may be a disaster next time. Might be better to plan ahead somehow? In addition, when they do a survey they consider a catchable size bluegill to be 6 inches... I prefer mine a little larger, but again, to each his own.

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are you saying you know more than a biologist?

I too am managing my pond and have gotten the bluegill to become much larger than they were 3 years ago when a keeper was unheard of.  Now there are a lot of 9 inchers in there although the bass are now smaller.  But my 10 acre pond cannot be compared to a lake. 

I believe what it comes down to is the bluegill or whatever fish you take will keep the species propagating in any body of water.  When there is something going on that the fish perceives as not right, it stops biting.  Hence the fish that keeps following your bait up but won't commit.  That is what keeps the fish coming back year after year.

What I am tired of hearing is how the fish population is being decimated due to electronics and such and there needs to be a limit imposed immediately.  I feel politics will take precedence knowledge on this subject and groups such as PETA will latch onto this and get a limit started in Indiana where our fisheries are going strong and continuing to do so.

Jonesy

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Are you saying you know more than a biologist?

I too am managing my pond and have gotten the bluegill to become much larger than they were 3 years ago when a keeper was unheard of.  Now there are a lot of 9 inchers in there although the bass are now smaller.  But my 10 acre pond cannot be compared to a lake. 

I believe what it comes down to is the bluegill or whatever fish you take will keep the species propagating in any body of water.  When there is something going on that the fish perceives as not right, it stops biting.  Hence the fish that keeps following your bait up but won't commit.  That is what keeps the fish coming back year after year.

What I am tired of hearing is how the fish population is being decimated due to electronics and such and there needs to be a limit imposed immediately.  I feel politics will take precedence knowledge on this subject and groups such as PETA will latch onto this and get a limit started in Indiana where our fisheries are going strong and continuing to do so.

Jonesy

Nope. What I'm trying to say is I believe QUANTITY of fish removed is less important than QUALITY of fish removed. That, and the fact that 6-7 years is a long time to go between surveys on a highly pressured lake. My entire reason for posting in this thread was merely to lend credence to the idea of SELECTIVE harvest. Nothing more. I don't know if you've read through this entire thread, but I've stated multiple times that what works for one body of water is not always best for another. Also I only fish for Bluegill, no other species. I only manage for Bluegill, no other species. I know what works for me, and a big part of that is selective harvest. The biggest males get returned to the pond. If you're not practicing this in your own pond, I believe you can grow your gills' even bigger.

Offline gilleater

• IceShanty Rookie
I don't mean to drag this out but I must say that there has been a lot of helpfull/ usefull info come from this post. I don't consider myself a great fisherman, average at best, nor am I a very knowledgable conservationist. I will have to admit, I have never even seen a gill over about 8 1/2" long, to me that is a hog! There is not much lake access available in my area so I can tell everyone right now, if i ever am fishing and come across a bunch of gills over 9", I will fill as many five gallon buckets full as I can before I leave. It doesn't matter if it's through the ice, ripping them off the beds in the spring, male, or female. I will take them home to my fish eating family and feast on them. I will probably even go back day after day for more. I feal it's like taking a 4 1/2 year old buck, his genes have already been spread for the last few years and his offspring will take his place. I love to catch fish and I love to eat fish, the more the merrier. Usually the gills I take home are in the 6"-8" range, all you guys that are catching 9+" gills aught to be on cloud 9.             

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
FWF... you should know you cant post an opinion on here without someone "ASSUMING"  your talking about them, and then they get all defensive. Your post definitely has merit. While myself and everyone else LOVES seeing fish pics, the forums have somewhat turned into a brag board instead of helping other anglers with tips and tricks and WHERE to fish, what the bite is on, what color. Its not a rampant thing, but its there. Koodos to you for the voicing of your opinion.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nothing like a little competition.  I'm gonna win this post the biggest mess of fish game sooner or later.   :flex: Watch out wax, I'm coming for you. ;)

Offline hotdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
i agree but some of us like me give a lot of fish to the homeless shelters and to people who can't get out to get there own. but there are some people who do keep more than they can or anybody else can eat. i do freeze some because i don't keep crappies in the summer. gills are OK.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
the fish that are swimming in the public waters of indiana are owned by the people of the state...
and i am doing my part to ensure that all  the people i know are getting what is theirs...lol!
many of the fish i catch go to people who would probly never have a fish dinner from anywhere other than Paulas or frozen by gordons.
it raises awareness to the resource and helps change the opinions of many. i personally dont eat fish...wierd i know!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
As long as people are following the fishing regulations, I have no problem with them keeping fish.  I hate people killing little ones on the ice.  I will go over to the fish pick it up and throw it back down the hole.  I remind them it is against the law to do that.  If people have a problem with people keeping a lot of bluegill they need to get the dnr to change the regulations.  Honestly I like Michigans rule of 25 panfish period.  I fish Michigan as much as I do Indiana.  Yogi

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
Thanks for all the great posts guys.  I knew posting this would cause debate and I am glad it did. If nothing else comes of it, it shows how much people care about this sport.  Whether you keep and eat a lot of fish, release fish, or whatever else....... as long as your enjoying our sport, following the rules, and taking care of it the best you feel you can..............thats all thats important.  I appreciate all the opinions and information from all of you.   Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!!!!!!

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow, page 4 in 24 hrs.  :o  I kind see where your coming from; it becomes less and less about the sport of fishing and more about bragging and filling a frezzer or just giving fish away to catch more.  It's the guys that get a limit , take it home and come back , get a limit , go home come back , day after day. Or the guy that brings his 6 year old kid and catches two limits when the kid just drags a bobber in the water. I've been yelled at before for releaseing crappie. Had all I needed at home and was fishing C&R no matter what size, I wouldn't put them in a guy's bucket and he told me to get the hell off the bank if I wasn't going keep them fish or give 'em away. Some people will rape a river dry before ever releaseing a fish, I mean the next guy might catch it, can't have that.  ::) And about letting fish die ? What about all the Freshwater Drums left on the ice or thrown on the bank to die ? They are a native species and don't hurt a thing, yet people think you got to kill 'em cause there not good for anything, why let them live ? My grandfather told me in the 50's and 60's fisherman had a code of conduct, and it was all about the sport and experience of fishing. Sadly now it's all about "me" and f@#$ everyone else.  >:( There will always be "those people" who give fishing a bad name, so i try to lead by example and education; because ignorance and negativity breeds ignorance and negativity.   :)

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good thread,
whether i agree with others or not,
it brings attention to the matter
and hopefully people are aware of their actions,
and makes them think of what they are doing and why,

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
I think a lot of it comes down to what an angler expects a body of water to produce. I've probably come across as an lunatic by expressing my views on returning the largest males, but that's only because I know what this fish is capable of if managed properly. To my knowledge, the DNR doesn't manage for trophy bluegill, they manage for sustainable quantities of a catchable size (6" +), and I think they do an excellent job of it. For the most part, everyone who posts here seems happy with the size of the bluegills they catch from public waters, so the system must be working alright. I think each angler must decide for him or herself, what size fish they want to catch consistently. My posts were based on my idea of what a good bluegill is. I've seen many pics on here of 10"+ fish that came from public waters, so we know they're out there. But I've noticed that those larger fish typically make up only a small part of the angler's total catch. Think how many times you've seen pics of only one or two of those large fish, when the angler stated he caught 25-30. This takes nothing away from the abilities of the angler, after all it was his or her skill that landed that fish, and they've earned the bragging rights that go with it. But what if.. you could catch 25 gills, and 15-20 of them were over 1lb and 10"? That's what I'm talking about. And it can be done, but it will take more than a biologist and mother nature to create such a fishery, and more importantly, sustain it year after year. It would take a concerted effort by every angler who fished that water to maintain such a catch ratio. And frankly,  I don't see that ever happening in public waters.  If you're happy with the fish you're catching now, and the lake will continue to support that style of fishing,  I think you should fish as you see fit.

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
go to any pond that rarely or never gets fished and you will find nothing but dinks, very easy to get over run with gills, and once that happens, they don't have enough food to get any bigger.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
go to any pond that rarely or never gets fished and you will find nothing but dinks, very easy to get over run with gills, and once that happens, they don't have enough food to get any bigger.

Absolutely, that's why proper management is so important.

Offline Ice Hoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
I think a lot of it comes down to what an angler expects a body of water to produce. I've probably come across as an lunatic by expressing my views on returning the largest males, but that's only because I know what this fish is capable of if managed properly. To my knowledge, the DNR doesn't manage for trophy bluegill, they manage for sustainable quantities of a catchable size (6" +), and I think they do an excellent job of it. For the most part, everyone who posts here seems happy with the size of the bluegills they catch from public waters, so the system must be working alright. I think each angler must decide for him or herself, what size fish they want to catch consistently. My posts were based on my idea of what a good bluegill is. I've seen many pics on here of 10"+ fish that came from public waters, so we know they're out there. But I've noticed that those larger fish typically make up only a small part of the angler's total catch. Think how many times you've seen pics of only one or two of those large fish, when the angler stated he caught 25-30. This takes nothing away from the abilities of the angler, after all it was his or her skill that landed that fish, and they've earned the bragging rights that go with it. But what if.. you could catch 25 gills, and 15-20 of them were over 1lb and 10"? That's what I'm talking about. And it can be done, but it will take more than a biologist and mother nature to create such a fishery, and more importantly, sustain it year after year. It would take a concerted effort by every angler who fished that water to maintain such a catch ratio. And frankly,  I don't see that ever happening in public waters.  If you're happy with the fish you're catching now, and the lake will continue to support that style of fishing,  I think you should fish as you see fit.

Like this, and I believe the more info and posts about this stuff will do nothing but good for the size of our future gills.  The more people know, the more they talk.  They talk more and show more interest, and things begin to change.  For instance, all the pond and lake management talk on these posts has pushed me back to talking my wife into moving to somewhere with a pond.  Keep up the good info.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pretty simple actually. The States set creel limits that water bodies can tolerate. This takes into account the MEAT fisherman like me keeping limits, C and R and the recreational guys like you. In Michigan these limits may be adjusted up or down, or a season or size adjusted to maintain a healthy balance. I suspect a lot less people today take like families did during the depression for example. We have better monitoring and enforcement as well. So dun let a handful of meat fishermen like the wife and I bother ya, the DNR/DEQ and Fisheries have it under control for the most part in this area. Pike, slamonoids and walleye as well as perch all get micro managed here as do specific bodies of water. Our DNR takes creel surveys at the launches as well to monitor what isa being caught and kept in order to make adjustments.

And please everyone, practice catch and release so that there are more fish for us meat hunters.  BTW, good topic.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
FWF... you should know you cant post an opinion on here without someone "ASSUMING"  your talking about them, and then they get all defensive. Your post definitely has merit. While myself and everyone else LOVES seeing fish pics, the forums have somewhat turned into a brag board instead of helping other anglers with tips and tricks and WHERE to fish, what the bite is on, what color. Its not a rampant thing, but its there. Koodos to you for the voicing of your opinion.

I disagree here...to each is own.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Nope. What I'm trying to say is I believe QUANTITY of fish removed is less important than QUALITY of fish removed. That, and the fact that 6-7 years is a long time to go between surveys on a highly pressured lake. My entire reason for posting in this thread was merely to lend credence to the idea of SELECTIVE harvest. Nothing more. I don't know if you've read through this entire thread, but I've stated multiple times that what works for one body of water is not always best for another. Also I only fish for Bluegill, no other species. I only manage for Bluegill, no other species. I know what works for me, and a big part of that is selective harvest. The biggest males get returned to the pond. If you're not practicing this in your own pond, I believe you can grow your gills' even bigger.

Spkplug,

Agree the time between surveys is longer than it should be, but if you get ALL the surveys for that lake you can see the trends and what if anything has changed over that long time period.  This due to the small window available for doing the survey.  It has to be done in late May-early june (northern Indiana waters) and each lake takes several nights to complete.  I also agree the DNR says 6 inches is a keeper, which is not good enough for me, but they also show the length/age breakdown of each fish they collect.  From this you can see what percentage of the species total are a 'real' keepers in that lake.  I am not sure there are more fishermen on the water today than in the past.  License sales have been down for years and are just starting to return to 'normal' numbers.  As alot of old timers pass away they are not being replaced by today's youth.  Most teens and young adults know nothing or very little about fishing.  I know a couple lakes I fish we are the only people on it 90% of the time in the winter and in the summer you may see 5 boats fishing.  That same lake used to have 30-50 boats on it a day in the summer and used to get ice fished alot.  I am sure other lakes are exact opposite.  Today's electronics do help pin the fish down easier, but I know tons of fish were caught before vex's too.

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
FWF   I commend you on your post.  It has generadated interesting opinions.   I am a advocate for responsible actions by not only fisherman but in all outdoor activities.  We tend to take it upon ourselves to police what we feel is the right action to take in balancing wildlife.  We have experts that monitor or force place regulation to try and maintain the correct balance.  Sometimes we screw it up but for the most part we get it right.   I'm sure this is a ongoing education for all of us.  I lived in Minnesota for many years and they have regulation in place to ensure a well balanced fishier.  They actually close fishing season in late winter into early spring to allow the spawning cycle.   So many good points here.  Take what is reasonable but be selective in what you keep.

Derslayer1 post:

"FWF... you should know you cant post an opinion on here without someone "ASSUMING"  your talking about them, and then they get all defensive. Your post definitely has merit. While myself and everyone else LOVES seeing fish pics, the forums have somewhat turned into a brag board instead of helping other anglers with tips and tricks and WHERE to fish, what the bite is on, what color. Its not a rampant thing, but its there. Koodos to you for the voicing of your opinion."

I also think the post that Derslayer1 posted is so correct.  I have be a member here since 2005 and the changes that have taken place since then is remarkable.  It has turned into a forum of some who try and belittle opinions and thoughts.  It has happen to many of us and now it seems to be the norm.  Funny thing about this is, its always the same folks.

I also want to say that I found sprkplug's post to be very interesting and engaging.  Would love to hook up with you some time.  Email sent.

FWF   Great post and I hope I see your gang soon  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.