Author Topic: What do you wear on your feet?  (Read 11558 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What do you wear on your feet? Wool socks helped me
« Reply #90 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:47 AM »
WOOL SOCKS, helped me. I have the Blk Military Bata brand boots with the airborne air release valve and my feet still got cold when temps get in the low 20 & teens. I bought a pair of 85% wool socks a few wks back and they have really helped in low temps. When you have poor circulation, its hard to keep feet/hands warm.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline dubshot1120

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slabbie
Re: What do you wear on your feet?
« Reply #91 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:38 PM »
lacrosse ice kings is what i rock and I never get cold feet ever!! and I also always rock my yaktrak pro traction cleats wouldnt ever go on the ice without them.. before i had my lacrosse kings i had some waterproof timerland explorers and they were cheap but my feet would get coooolllllddddd i would be changing out toe warmers every 2 hours and my feet would always somehow get wet.. after sometime i started to try and duct tape around my laces and around my snow pants eventually i got sick of that and bought my kings..
What happened to Gillman?

Offline helifunwalleyechaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Joining the conversation late here.  I have read some good advice and read a shocking one that referenced water in your boots!  Trench foot is what you get when your feet are submerged for any duration.  Very severe!! Google that one.  I have been in the military a few years (26 to be exact).  If your going to walk a short distance and stand or sit most of the day. Keep them dry, one pair of socks, and looser boots. Problems arise when your walking great distance and your boots are loose!  You need a air barrier around you feet to stay the warmest.  So, with that long winded comment; when I ice fish or sit in the woods for long periods of time I wear a pair of oversized Red Heads, wool socks ans I place "Toasti Toes" on the soles of the boot. (Hand Warmers work as well).  You can get the Toasti Toes just about any where. They also soak up the moisture in your boots. lasts about 4-6 hours.  Always keep your feet dry = extra socks on the inside upper pockets somewhere. The minor discomfort of changing socks in sub zero weather far outlast the consequences of cold wet feet!
Fishing in the dark. Mark

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:35 PM »
  WARM FEET GOOD :)   COLD FEET BAD :'(     WHAT EVER TYPE YOU PICK.   
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #94 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Chicken Mcnugget Boxes with Twizzlers holding them together.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #95 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Joining the conversation late here.  I have read some good advice and read a shocking one that referenced water in your boots!  Trench foot is what you get when your feet are submerged for any duration.  Very severe!! Google that one.  I have been in the military a few years (26 to be exact).  If your going to walk a short distance and stand or sit most of the day. Keep them dry, one pair of socks, and looser boots. Problems arise when your walking great distance and your boots are loose!  You need a air barrier around you feet to stay the warmest.  So, with that long winded comment; when I ice fish or sit in the woods for long periods of time I wear a pair of oversized Red Heads, wool socks ans I place "Toasti Toes" on the soles of the boot. (Hand Warmers work as well).  You can get the Toasti Toes just about any where. They also soak up the moisture in your boots. lasts about 4-6 hours.  Always keep your feet dry = extra socks on the inside upper pockets somewhere. The minor discomfort of changing socks in sub zero weather far outlast the consequences of cold wet feet!
Excellent advise for antique boots.  Try some Baffin Impacts. They were made to walk across the Antarctic. -148 with no toe heaters or special socks. Most of the guys that use them don't even put socks on. I use my everyday socks. The longest I have fished in -1 is 17 hours this season. My friends white mickeys didn't do to good. He kept taking his boots off and rubbing his toes and holding them over a lantern. When I took my foot out just to show him how warm it was he couldn't believe the sock I was wearing. I am not telling about Baffin's for any other reason than for us to have the best. Then we can concentrate on fishing.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline bigotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:08 PM »
I wear the white bunny boats and NEVER have a problem with them getting cold.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #97 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Best thing for warmin the toes on those cooollldd days?  A 35,000 BTU Springer Spaniel!
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #98 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:04 PM »
I stopped in at Gander Mountain with no intent of buying anything this evening...but they had a really good deal on ALL of their winter footwear and I got a pair of Baffin boots that normally are $130 for $65...that's right 50% off. Hey...every little bit helps!! Thanks for all the good advice on this thread. I was going to get a pair of Mickeys for around $80 but thought this deal was really tough to beat. I talked to the manager at GM and he was kind of upset since he couldn't even get them at that price!! Can't wait to try em out this weekend they should make walking and standing around in the slush a little more comfortable.

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #99 on: Feb 22, 2010, 05:41 AM »
I stopped in at Gander Mountain with no intent of buying anything this evening...but they had a really good deal on ALL of their winter footwear and I got a pair of Baffin boots that normally are $130 for $65...that's right 50% off. Hey...every little bit helps!! Thanks for all the good advice on this thread. I was going to get a pair of Mickeys for around $80 but thought this deal was really tough to beat. I talked to the manager at GM and he was kind of upset since he couldn't even get them at that price!! Can't wait to try em out this weekend they should make walking and standing around in the slush a little more comfortable.

Hows the boots?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Westland BA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:15 PM »
The new artic spurs    www.theultimatecleat.c om/

Offline TipUp67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Black mickeys one pair of athletic socks and never cold.  Did get them wet inside once and never got cold.  Are heavy and bulky, but would never trade them for any other shoe on the ice.

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Just got my first pair of black mickeys delivered today, had 1000 gram lacrosse bofore, never got cold with one pair of wool socks but wanted something more heavy duty for kicking in iced over holes and such my buddy swears by them, said get a size big and wear one good pair of wool socks not several pairs and should be good to go, i hope to find out soon

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:34 PM »
I have used black mickey mouse boots since 1989,Im on my second pair but the trick is get them a little large,I think that some room in the boot keeps your feet warmer
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #104 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Baffin Impacts

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I wear Rocky Arctic boots with 1200 grams of thinsulate.  The socks I wear are what they call liner socks or mens hosiery first then put on my woolblend heavy socks.  It's hard to find 100% wool socks and if you do, buy them.  The trick has been mentioned before is to buy a pair 1/2 to a full size larger than what you normally wear to give your toes wiggle room and not be restrictive to your feet when you put on the extra size socks.  The last thing I want when I'm out fishing is cold feet.  Then I'm just miserable the whole time I'm out there.

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Lacrosse IceMans since '93 or '94. They are still ok but felt liners seem to be wearing a little thin. Thinking about upgrade to IceKings but so many people swear by white Mickeys (bunny boots i think are the same thing). I like being able to take liners out if wet (Lacrosse). But Mickeys have sealed wool in between rubber inner and outer, buddys say you can pour a glass of water in them and wear all day sub-zero. anyone try this?

Inadvertently I put my leg through a hole once boot filled up was squishy but warm like standing in a puddle while fishing. I didn't care for all the laces went with the Artic Muck boots this time around their just ok feet stay warm not sure if I dig the knee high yet bit they are comfy I stand most of the day when fishing

Offline Dem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Kamik Canucks. Have always had cold feet in the ice and snow when outside for a long time. These things keep'm toasty warm. Made in the US from Canadian parts, very reasonably priced
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the ice like an idiot! I won't tell you which side of the line I'm on.

Offline Allen1203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hunter!
« Reply #108 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Cabela's Trans Alaskan III pac-boots. Never cold, waterproof, and they are light weight. A ton easier to walk in than 90% of pac-boots. I wore them hunting and trapping in Alaska all the time while I was living there, most of the time trapping it was more than -30F
Levi

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Lacrosse Icekings. I have had them for over 10 years. I wear 1 pair of regular socks and my feet have never gotten cold.

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Glad to see someone did a search before posting something.

I made this thread about 4 years ago.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:49 PM »
I have a pair of white mickeys. (original US Military) They run a little big. I normally wear a size 9-1/2  to 10 regular boots ize. Si I bought a pair of 8R Mickeys, I wear 1 pr of cotton socks and my feet have NEVER got cold and I've been out well below zero actuall temps. They are somewhat bulky and a little heavy, but for $70 bucks can't fo wrong. Better for me to pay the $70 instad of $150-$200 just to go lighter. They also wrok great for deer hunting. Sure, there are lighterboots available. But for fishing, the mickeys are great boot. Just beware of Chinese knockoffs, they are Not the same quality and feet will get cold.     :tipup:

Offline gamehawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:29 PM »
I have wore out a pair of black mickeys, and now switched to Muck Arctic Pro rated to -60  and love them.  They are a lot more comfortable than the mickeys IMO.. and you dont have to lace them.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Temps here are often -30 to -40 or lower and for 90-95% of the season (3 months minimum) I wear Sorel Glaciers.  When the season comes to an end in late March or mid-April if I head up North to a division with a longer season (mine closes March 31st) and the slush begins to build I'll switch to Baffin Titans.  Never been cold in either.

Offline toddhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Baffin technical series (-45), on sale at REI for $65. Great removable inner liner, very light weight, a little lower on the leg than the ice kings I'd been wearing, and just as warm. Happy with my purchase. Bought one size up and perfect with warm sock. Edit: http://www.rei.com/product/860370/baffin-edge-boots-mens  (-40, Edge, currently $58)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Recently bought a pair of the trekker from Cabela's. They have 2000 grams of thinsulate and are camo and very light. Sold for only 129. SO much better that the Mickey's I have worn the past 10 years. Feet haven't gotten cold, and IMHO are the best boot for the money I ever spent.

Offline Musky50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Bought a pair of Cabelas boots a few years ago, warmest rated boots they had at the time.........I believe they were rated at -135. The key to these boots is the fact they accept toe warmer inserts. Ive always had problems with my toes getting cold during a day on the ice or after being in the deer stand a couple hours. That is no longer a problem when I use the toe warmer inserts. If you are like me and have problems with your toes getting cold, I HIGHLY recommend getting a pair of boots that will accept toe warmers. I picked up a bulk package of 25 pairs on Ebay for .99 each.

Offline tnrandy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #117 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Cabela preditor extreme PAC boot. Cabela liner sock and good wool sock. The boot insert has a slot to install a foot warmer pack but I never need these.

Offline Outlaw46341

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Muck arctic pro, I buy a half size larger and 1 pair of merino wool socks, never wear cotton. My feet stay warm and dry hunting and ice fishing.
I HUNT I FISH I EAT

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:17 AM »
Fell through two years ago, wearing my black mickeys only thing that wasn't cold were my feet. Had a pair of Lacross Icemen my dad bought me for xmas in 1988, great boots that are not made any longer. Would have bought another pair of Icemen if they would have been available, could not believe how much the Lacross Icekings were when I needed a new pair. That is why I bought the black mickeys, cheap,  warm and dry if you stay topside. My boots are 1/2 size large and I wear one pair of socks, cabela boot socks that were on sale three pairs for fifteen bucks. My feet stay warm even when on the ice all day, this year has been a great year too really find out how good our equipment is. If a boot keeps your feet warm this year, then it has passed the test for sure.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.