Author Topic: soo area help  (Read 765 times)

Offline 5loaves2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
soo area help
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:34 AM »
uncle and friend of mine are going to be in the Soo, MI area soon to watch some basketball...they were hoping to get out one of the days and catch some pike/walleye through the ice, but none of us know the area much at all.  i have heard of some of the bays on the big water and munuscong..are those the best options??  if anyone can help out they would appreciate it...big pike info would be the best.  thanks!
Banjo

Offline upnorth

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: soo area help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Munuscong is probably your best bet for walleye and pike.  You can fish the shallower water for some nice perch and pike or head out to deeper water if you are after some walleye. You can pick up a few walleyes in the shallow waters but the big ones are toward the shipping channel this time of year.

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:01 PM »
For pike heading out from the dnr trail in barbeau head to the left towards sand island, there should be some shacks out there.  Its about 5ft of water there.  If you want a mix of fish go from dans in pickford into that bay there is only about 2-3 ft of water but its staind and you can usually pick up a few walleye throughout the day perch and a few pike.  I wouldn't venture out from either of those spots, conditions are going downhill fast with this warm weather.  Good luck and be safe

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:27 PM »
If you go to Munuscong, use an ATV and follow others tracks. Stay away from the islands, the ice is thin around them, especially Gull, which is the 1st one out of Dan's Resort. The fishing there was good last Fri and Sat morning. Sat afternoon everything went to crap, d/t the incoming weather system. It is supposed to rain Fri, but freeze up again Sun, so we'll see.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline 5loaves2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:20 AM »
thanks for the responses fellas!  i think its gonna be next weekend that they're over there...hopefully things lock up a little bit better by then.  i'm pretty sure they'll be on foot too.   if anyone would, i would appreciate a couple updates to pass along sometime during the week (ice and fishing conditions).   also, was wondering if any of you have fished the bays of superior north of soo canada through the ice...have always wondered what kind of fishery it was!!  thanks again for the help!!!
Banjo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.