Author Topic: Chassel  (Read 7436 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Chassel
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:12 AM »
After last weekend, I'm bagging the Portage.  Not having K-Bay messed me up this year. 
Chris Raymond

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:12 AM »
How are people doing on eye's?  TERRIBLE! Wish i had something positive but it is not good.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:54 AM »
How are people doing on eye's?  TERRIBLE! Wish i had something positive but it is not good.

DBC--MAYBE I was running one walleye for every 4 - 6 hours fished.  Whether it was a keeper or not is still another issue. 
Chris Raymond

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2012, 02:49 PM »
After last weekend, I'm bagging the Portage.  Not having K-Bay messed me up this year.
   I think it messed EVERYONE up Chris ...Got to go somewhere though  ::)

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:10 PM »
I hear ya on the sizes. Some too big. On the other end of the spectrum, caught an 8in walleye the other night.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:31 PM »
its brutal man.. everything is.. i'm just picking away at the crappie.. its just no good.. the ice should just leave. spring should come. and the boats should hit the water.. i'm ready to give up.. i'll give one two more trips if it dont heat up i'm going to flip a nut.

Dusty. Have a more positive attitude when you hit the ice and maybe you'll do better. Don't blame the body of water. There's always things to learn when fishing. Just make it a learning experience

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Isn't it funny how having confidence and a positive attitude can make all the difference in catching! It will only get better from here on out. Good luck guys!

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Chase, you will have many good years of catching ahead with the way you think. ;D  This is the best time of year to find new water.  The snow is packed, temps are fishable, and pulling a sled on the lakes is easy.  You may need snowshoes to get to some of the little lakes around here but getting a map from the DNR site and trying to figure out where the fish are is a good way to learn.  Sometime you win; sometime...

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #38 on: Feb 18, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Chase, you will have many good years of catching ahead with the way you think. ;D  This is the best time of year to find new water.  The snow is packed, temps are fishable, and pulling a sled on the lakes is easy.  You may need snowshoes to get to some of the little lakes around here but getting a map from the DNR site and trying to figure out where the fish are is a good way to learn.  Sometime you win; sometime...
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

SU--Do you want me to guess what lake you were on?  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline Outdoorsmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:45 AM »
i'm postivie alrgiht.. but after like 8 trips in many different spots with hours fished man.. its hard. but i guess..
Dusty Gagnon... you buy the bait i'll catch the fish!
:icefish:

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2012, 11:25 AM »
been doing pretty good in the bay, is there anywhere to catch eyes besides the humps? maybe just past the narrows where it drops off? im trying to find something closer since i dont have a sled or 4wheeler

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 13, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I just got back from spring break. Is the ice holding up at all or is it pretty much shot? Thinking the season will be over soon, if it's not already, due to the next week being in the 50s and 60s.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #42 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:20 AM »
I thought I would chance taking a run to the humps with my ATV (untracked but that is going to change next year) on Sunday morning.  M y thought was to fish early and then get out while the surface crust was still firm.  Well....I didn't time my return as well as I should have, was distracted by a couple of semi-interested fish on the flasher which I didn't end up catching, and was stuck in a monster of a slush pocket.  It was anywhere from 7" - 12" and I was 1/4 mile plus into it.  Luckily somebody happened by on a snowmachine and was able to pull me out...at least it was warm, sunny and I had on my rubber boots.  The ice thickness underneath all the slop and water was still north of 14" if I had to guess.  FWIW, I'm not going back out until or if it glares over. 

FWIW, I spoke with some folks in the parking lot that had just gotten back from Goegebic and slush was up to their hips.  Sleds, tracked ATV's and Argos were all getting buried.  Sounded like a rough day down there. 
Chris Raymond

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:52 PM »
Good people out there that help. That ice on portage can be a pain. Hard to maintain a shack. It is nice to have a tracked machine. The walleye fishing can only get better with the efforts going on. GOOD LUCK to everyone this open water season!

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:57 PM »
There is ice covering all off the bay when i dove by today...wont be long!!!!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Thanks for the update jrzimmer, really good news indeed. :)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Look south my IS friends, look south.  There's already fishable ice. 
Chris Raymond

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Not safe quite yet. Walked a ways out today from the launch. Could only stay on the clear stuff with 1.5 inches and snow covered stuff is soft with only an inch of black ice. In the near future look for black Honda civic at the launch, and a clam big mouth one man thermal flip over on the ice! Stop in and say hi!

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Stopped down to check the ice in the bay and seen someone fishing. The said 2inches but not good quality. I think this weekend ill give her a try.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Yup checked it yesterday as well. I walked to the middle of the bay spiffing my way. 2 inches of decent ice. I'll be on it Saturday morning and Sunday and probably Monday as well! Good luck guys! :tipup:

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2012, 04:23 PM »
hopefully we dont get all that wet snow there calling for! that will make a mess of the ice.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Looking for reports on the humps. Anyone making the journey that far?

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Hows the inside the bay fishin been? Going to stage all the gear/shanty for the humps when i get back up north! Uh i cant wait!

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:55 AM »
I guess guys are making the run to the humps now. Any info on ice conditions that way?

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:24 PM »
5-6 inches where we were today on the humps

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:10 PM »
5-6 inches where we were today on the humps
I know there's a large area that's considered the humps but as in the inner humps or outter humps? If you have a map of depths and contours you would know what I'm talking about. And did you run a sled or wheeler out there? Thanks! :tipup:

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:29 AM »
The narrows the other day was pretty slow.  Also, be cautious as some spots the ice thinned to about 3".

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:37 PM »
I know there's a large area that's considered the humps but as in the inner humps or outter humps? If you have a map of depths and contours you would know what I'm talking about. And did you run a sled or wheeler out there? Thanks! :tipup:

I pulled my 8x8 shack out today!! 6 inches of very sold black ice.  Very slick out there though. i had to help tow my buddies shack using two sleds cause neither of us have studs.

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:39 PM »
The narrows the other day was pretty slow.  Also, be cautious as some spots the ice thinned to about 3".

2 inches close by the weed beds by those Christmas trees. Watch out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.