Author Topic: Strictly Business Derby  (Read 1976 times)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
Strictly Business Derby
« on: Feb 11, 2024, 06:47 PM »
Hope everyone wore their sunblock this weekend. It was almost too hot. We were right there all weekend. A couple dozen yellows over a pound but couldn’t crack 1.4. We had three that were 1.3 plus. Only found one big pick but not even close to the board. Did find a new bass hole for the future. Can’t believe how much work it is to walk 24 traps for two days. Even though the hike in and working all the flags took a lot effort.  I can’t wait to go back . One of the best derbies for us. Best part we were the only ones on the pond all weekend .

when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strictly Business Derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2024, 10:38 PM »
Sounds like a great weekend... hope they fatten up for you and are board worthy next year... and the bonus of a new Bass fishing spot to boot.

Well done

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2024, 08:00 AM »
I had a really slow weekend.  I hosted 7 guys on a two trap that I usually get a lot of big largemouth.  I know they aren't in the derby, but still fun to catch.  Biggest was just under 3.  Kind of a disappointing weekend fish wise but we had a great time otherwise.

Well except for dropping a cylinder on one of my sleds.  Not very happy about that at all.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2024, 08:05 AM »
Very good weekend! My gang had two fish on the board, one was a $150 fish one was a $15,500 fish. Gotta love derby weekend!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2024, 08:41 AM »
Nice job!! Got bumped out of 1st on Saturday for Rainbows but was able to keep 2nd first time on the board it was a real great weekend. Bite was good too managed 6 bows on Saturday and 3 Bows and a laker on Sunday!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2024, 11:15 AM »
Nice work great pics! Slow weekend for our crew this year. Ate and drank well

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:02 PM »
Great derby report and awesome pictures Jibbs. Looks like a blast.

Congrats to those that made some coin this weekend.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:06 PM »
Well done Jibbs ….cool pics
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Tjnedz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:15 PM »
Nice pics Jibbs.

Congratulations on the win Jethro. At least someone was hooking up, I can't say the same. Went with big expectations and came up empty

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:22 PM »
Sounds like an awesome time J. Great report!!
And well done everyone else!
My Derby ended in heartbreak yesterday morning when a hook popped on a monster bow at the bottom of the hole after a several minute fight. Oh well.
But like everyone else we all had great weather this weekend and a blast. Lots of food, blew through many pounds of venison . I actually did something I've never ever done for the Derby before, Chase something other than bows on Saturday. was just a stellar day. Iced 36 Slabs and 17 Bass fir the group. Unfortunately none of the crappie were over 2 lb. but blew through 4 doz bait just myself.

Slabs for days
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:36 PM »
Awesome pics. That yp is huge. I fished yesterday got mostly yp several were 12 inch class but not big enough. Still had fun. I know they are mixed in with the small ones. Had a few bigger marks come in but wouldn't commit. Managed to jig up a smelt in 50 fow on bottom and a salmon too. Never jigged a salmon from 50 feet down. Fun times. Someday I'll get on the board.
Salmonemia

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2024, 08:30 AM »
This was moments after it came out of the hole! You know, some folks may be upset a crappie took home the big money but honestly, at 2/10ths of a lb off the state record it was the most impressive fish on the board this weekend, so there is some justification.

And as per usual, we were targeting yellow perch.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2024, 09:45 AM »
Congrats to you on a Great weekend, nice fish and , and close to a record, with the Big Prize
   A day you will always remember Good job and Best wishes to you

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2024, 10:53 AM »
This was moments after it came out of the hole! You know, some folks may be upset a crappie took home the big money but honestly, at 2/10ths of a lb off the state record it was the most impressive fish on the board this weekend, so there is some justification.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice Slab! Congrats man

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2024, 01:01 PM »
That’s a beauty…congrats to the winner
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2024, 03:30 PM »
That Crappie is a beast and a fantastic NH fish!  Congratulations to your friend!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2024, 04:49 PM »
Damn... Trophy slab, really nice.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2024, 06:11 AM »
Nice fish + pics!  Congrats!   :tipup:

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:05 AM »
Damn... Trophy slab, really nice.

Yeah, Fish & Game registered it for the trophy fish program. Pretty cool!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:22 AM »
Really nice crappie!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:27 AM »
Jibbs, Great pics , looks like a good weekend !

Offline Tjnedz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:28 AM »
Nice fish!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2024, 11:03 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

beautiful fish - Congrats- no need for anyone to be upset- each fish in a category is there for a reason, and any fish that is exceptional in that category deserves to be in the winner circle- No need for snobbery with a winning category fish -Kudos to you guys for a great derby.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:25 PM »
beautiful fish - Congrats- no need for anyone to be upset- each fish in a category is there for a reason, and any fish that is exceptional in that category deserves to be in the winner circle- No need for snobbery with a winning category fish -Kudos to you guys for a great derby.

My thoughts exactly!

Awesome report, Jibbs, and great pictures! And yeah, it was so warm! I got a bit of face and hands tan myself.  :) I was targeting bass and got perch and slime darts instead, so it's good to see someone got into them!

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2024, 11:29 AM »
Nice update and glad to hear you all had a great time and got some decent fish.

Cheers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.