Author Topic: Lubrication for Jet Sled?  (Read 3653 times)

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lubrication for Jet Sled?
« on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:53 PM »
I wonder if anyone has any tricks or anything that they spray on the bottom of their Jet Sled to make it slide better on the ice or snow (wax or cooking spray, perhaps)?

I hate dragging my sled on pavement, but one place I fish, you don't have much choice.  Their is a vary narrow road that people park up and down.  So the bottom gets scraped up a little bit, and I am sure that affects the friction when dragging on the ice.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Lubrication for Jet Sled?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:14 PM »
Beeswax

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:15 PM »
Yup. Believe it's called (or was) Teflon Glide. A spray for glide tip and tail of XC skis. Find it at a ski store.
Works like the stuff Clark Griswold sprayed on that flying saucer.   ;D
Used it on my jet sled and my skis. Actually had my jet sled take off and spin around down a hill on me after using it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:33 PM »
I've never sprayed mine and it pulls easy. The key is to put all the heavy stuff (flasher, minnows, auger head, etc) in the REAR of the sled so the nose can come up on top and you wont plow snow. Longer rope helps a ton as well, jet sled rope is long enough for pulling on bare ice, but if you add a few feet more it will pull like a dream on snow.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:41 PM »
There isnt anything that will make it pull easier over gravel or pavement. A smitty will give you less surface area in contact with the ground which may make it easier to pull and will keep your sled from wearing out.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:21 PM »
There isnt anything that will make it pull easier over gravel or pavement. A smitty will give you less surface area in contact with the ground which may make it easier to pull and will keep your sled from wearing out.

Well, that's a given, unless ya use wheels.  ;) The spray works great for pulling over snow or ice.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:46 PM »
WD-40 will work if you have nothing better (more expensive). It will prevent snow sticking to the skis or sled runners.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Sorry, if I wasn't clear.  Not looking to make it pull any easier on asphalt.  The point I was trying to make in mentioning that is that the bottom is now getting a little scuffed up, and not as smooth as it used to be.  So I think it is a little tougher to pull than it used to be.

I already do put the heavy stuff in the back.  That is good advice about the rope (especially since I am 6'5") and teflon spray.  Thanks!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Pure automotive silicone spray works, too. Plus ya can use it on your vehicle door seals, snowblower chute, etc.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:59 PM »
I have used silicone spray. It keeps snow from freezing to the bottom of my old scratched up sled, which makes it easier to pull. Spray it on and wipe with a paper towel to make sure it gets all over the bottom.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:41 PM »
I'm trying ArmorAll...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:54 PM »
Maybe tie a politician to the bottom...they're pretty slippery.... ;D

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:57 PM »
Maybe tie a politician to the bottom...they're pretty slippery.... ;D

Lol.....everyone would follow it around since it would be throwing money like crazy out the back

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:28 PM »
Do yourself a favor and build a Smitty sled. They break down into 4 pieces, bungee your Jet sled to the cross frame and you will be able to pull it easily.

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:38 PM »
Most of the manufacturers of the ice fishing sleds sell wear bars. They are easy to install & definitely help prolong the life of your sled. The question is why don't the sled come with wear bars? The answer is that they make more money if you buy them separately. They are worth the extra cost. In the past I wore out the bottoms of many sleds before wear bars were available. You definitely can tell the difference when dragging sleds on bare ice. I installed them on all my flip-up tent sleds too.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:59 PM »
Buy the hyfax runners.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:49 AM »
  attach  a pair of old snow skis
  on bottom you have drill holes through bottom
   I have done this on my clam . flip over

snowsnake

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:17 AM »
If you're dragging it on pavement occasionally, do yourself a favor and spend the money on the Hyfax runner kit.  I dragged my heavily-loaded flip-over on pavement maybe a half-dozen times and it wore two small holes in the bottom at the back.  Now it scoops snow when I drag it and I have to patch the holes.

For the scratches causing drag, you can smooth them out a bit with quick pass of a propane torch if you are very careful.  Rubbing the bottom of the sled with a block of beeswax will fill in the tiny scratches and slick up the bottom at the same time. 

(Beeswax is some pretty handy stuff to have around.  I bought four big one-pound blocks of it several years ago and use it for making lip balm, lubricating zippers, fluxing melted lead for bullet casting, etc., etc.)

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:30 AM »
Another option if you are fishing with someone else, is to drop your gear at the "landing area" and then go park, saving the sled drag on asphalt and quite a bit of effort.  I know that sounds basic, but it was a "doh!" moment for me a few years back after I wore myself and my sled out dragging for a quarter mile, only to find a number of sleds being watched by one gentlemen at the access point.  There are also some creative uses of wheels on smitty sleds, etc that guys have developed if you search around a bit.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:27 AM »
If you're dragging it on pavement occasionally, do yourself a favor and spend the money on the Hyfax runner kit. 
Buy the hyfax runners.
[/quote

Now there's the real answer! And a couple sticks of PTEX for the gouges....

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:17 AM »
The runners are 60$ and a new jet sled xl is 100$.....I will probably run mine into the ground at those prices.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:31 AM »

I wax or spray silicone on my jet sled XL with the runners and it works fine. Glides right through the snow!

smitty :tipup:

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2021, 12:14 PM »
The runners are 60$ and a new jet sled xl is 100$.....I will probably run mine into the ground at those prices.

And when it comes time to replace it all you’ll end up buying the runner bars and wonder why you didn’t invest in them when they were cheaper years ago. $160 is nothing in this hobby. Especially when it comes to making dragging gear significantly easier. In the long run, your body is worth way more than $160. Why work harder when you really don’t have to. They are cheaper alternatives that will still make a difference.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2021, 12:40 PM »
Boy, people sure like tossing money around to make everything so easy. Spray and go. Life isn't perfect.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Beeswax or silicone spray really helps a jet sled slide across the snow. I wax mine regularly. My buddy just did the smitty sled. That works awesome too.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Boy, people sure like tossing money around to make everything so easy. Spray and go. Life isn't perfect.

Spray doesn’t protect from physical damage and is just a consume and repeat solution. I spend money now so I don’t have to spend triple later. Including on things that wont breakdown my body faster than it has to. Life isn’t perfect, you’re right. That’s half the reason I spend what I can on the things I do. But we only get one life so why not enjoy it? Just because it isn’t perfect doesn’t mean it has to be hard. Screw that “no pain, no gain” stuff, that’s for suckers and teenagers. Life’s too short to be worried about how hard it is to drag all of my crap onto a frozen lake.

Or skip a few cases of beer and your upgrades just got paid for.  :tipup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2021, 12:57 PM »
I don't drink. I also have a different sense of work and worth. To each his own. Whatever works for ya.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:05 PM »

The OP said he fishes at a spot where he has to tow his sled on the pavement.  Spray won't help him much there...

I'm retired and I couldn't toss money around unless it was pennies.  :)  I didn't want to spend the money on Hyfax runners for my sled although buddies recommended it.  It turned out to be false economy not to buy them as my sled became compromised long before I would have expected it to.  I think the recommendation to add runners is not an extravagant one, but a practical and long-term economical one.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:11 PM »
Boy, I hear ya on the penny-tossing! I still save mine in a coffee can... ::)  Do agree on long-term in a case like yours. That would be one of those "use yer head'' things our parents hollered at us about..... :pinch:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.