New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Stelladog

• IceShanty Rookie
What am I doing wrong?
« on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:06 PM »
First I am new to ice fishing and trying to learn as much as possible.  I was on Big Bay Oneida today and guys were pulling pan fish out left and right.  I was switching jigs and did not seem to have much luck - 2 fish.  With a jig on,  my line was not very taunt and I had a hard time feeling bite.  I tried a split shot about a foot up which tighten line up but no better results.  I had wax worm on.  I guess any suggestions from the veterans would be appreciated.  I also would like to know how to set up my line for a tip up to hook a minnow.  Thanks

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Did they have electronics? What pound test are you using? Did you move at all? Sometimes moving, even just a few yards, can sometimes make a difference.

Small jig and light line with a spike or two works most of the time. I use 2 lb test

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:21 PM »
For tip up, use braided line made for tipups. Swivel, then 18 in leader roughly. U can use flouro, but even 10 lb mono works too. I use #8 treble, split shot or two, shiner rigged thru dorsal. Keep bait 12-18 in off bottom

Offline himhofh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • dedication gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:22 PM »
I use 1/32 jigs round head no body in pink or charteuese. try using spikes when waxies aren't working. you need to be as close to the bottom as possible.

Offline himhofh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:23 PM »
tip up rigs vary from species of fish you are after

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Did they have electronics? What pound test are you using? Did you move at all? Sometimes moving, even just a few yards, can sometimes make a difference.

Small jig and light line with a spike or two works most of the time. I use 2 lb test

X2. If your line is not very taunt, then line is too old, too high strength, or too coiled from use. Don't use a sinker, just a small jig/grub for panfish there, and don't expect to keep up with that Big Bay crew-they have been doing it for many, many years, and know all the tricks which you will need to gain through experience which you have already taken the first step towards. Good luck and enjoy, it will only get better!!!!

Offline travis.kling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:27 PM »
The big thing you can do to see those sensitive bits is to get a spring bobber for your rod tip. Even with an ultra light rod with those very subtle bits your rod will more than likely not move. Today I caught all my panfish really close to the bottom. When they would hit all I could see was the spring bobber on my rod tip barely start to move and I would set the hook and get them everytime. Good luck.

Offline himhofh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:28 PM »
where is the best place to park to get to big bay?

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Not having your line tight concerns me... I am assuming your using light line? 2-6# test, I prefer 4#.  You may have been directly on the bottom or hung in vegetation to get loose line??  You want to be close to bottom but not on it and you may have to work the column up and down to find suspended fish.  To "find bottom" let line out until it stops and makes a loop or two on the water surface of your hole.  Engage the reel and turn it to take up slack then a turn or two more should be in the "hot zone".  Jig from there and work up slow if no bites.  If your pulling up weeds pop a new hole near by in my opinion,  hopefully you get in a clearing.  Tip ups can be rigged many ways depending on the target species, search "tip up rigging for(species here)" in the search menu here or Google.
BAIT (√) BEER (√) SHANTY (√) FISH (?) STORY (√)

Offline travis.kling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:40 PM »
I would call chapmans bait and tackle and they can probably tell you that along with give you a little maps on where to go. They pointed me in the right direction for Rollaway Bay.

Offline Honu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:47 PM »
One thing that helped me when I first started to ice fish without electronics was to use a slip bobber set up.  I would use a clip on weight to find the bottom and then slide on the knot from a slip bobber setup either up or down to just below the water line in your hole.  You will always know that your close to the bottom.   

Sometimes as mentioned above moving a few feet can make all the difference.  Many times I've been in a shelter fishing same bait and jig as a friend, and he will catch all the fish.  Switch holes and I will start catching fishing.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Light line , 2-4. Spring bobber (a lot of times panfish will swim up after eating a jig or not move. A real bobber will never show this), move around and find weeds.  Most important, find an old geezer like me on the ice and ask questions!

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:59 PM »
you're not holding your mouth right

Offline royjboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Next time don't wait till you blow the entire day getting skunned. The same people who are replying to your posts are on the ice with you.  Just ask someone on the ice for pointers and you might even learn where the hot spots are and make some friends at the same time.
Good luck,  don't give up.

You tube "ice fishing rigs" for a start. You'll be up all night taking notes...  ;D

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2013, 04:17 PM »
90% of the guys on the ice would love to show off their knowledge of ice fishing. Ya just gotta ask!

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2013, 04:19 PM »
First I am new to ice fishing and trying to learn as much as possible.  I was on Big Bay Oneida today and guys were pulling pan fish out left and right.  I was switching jigs and did not seem to have much luck - 2 fish.  With a jig on,  my line was not very taunt and I had a hard time feeling bite.  I tried a split shot about a foot up which tighten line up but no better results.  I had wax worm on.  I guess any suggestions from the veterans would be appreciated.  I also would like to know how to set up my line for a tip up to hook a minnow.  Thanks
I wouldn't use tip ups at big bay....it's like throwing an anchor! Sticks you to one small area, which isn't good here. drill tons of holes, and move from one to another. keep track of which holes produce fish, and come back to them through out the day. Drill your own holes.   ;) I don't care if you put one in a few feet away from one of mine, but I really would appreciate it if you didn't jump in a hole I left, because I plan on coming back to it!

Sounds like some new 2 lb, test line will solve a lot of your problems you had today? They are light biters, and coils just won't work...unless you like watching others catch them. Those bobbers suggested are a good plan. Lots of beginners and ole timers alike use them here. I don't...but that's just me. Electronics are not really needed, this is shallow weedy water...

Work the whole water column...today they may have been on the bottom...but I have seen it change hour to hour, hole to hole, and it doesn't take much to cover a few feet of column anyway.

The biggest local "trick' to big bay is...drill/fish 100 holes...and find 25 of them that produce two fish each.  ;D There is a ton of room out there, you don't need to fish in the pack either...75% of that bay never sees a fisherman daily. Watch the guys that bust off on their own, CLOSELY.  They are catching fish that people don't see happen.  ;) ;) When they leave..it's not because they didn't catch any...it's because THEY ARE DONE.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Your line being not tight enough with light jigs is most likely becuase it's too heavy test (like 20 lb., etc.).  Switch to a lighter mono or braid with a mono leader....like 4 lb. test.   Also... here's a trick the "sharpies" use..... set up your rig as a "Drop-Shot".......  Here's how.............  on the VERY END (BOTTOM) of your leader, crimp on a split shot (for weight), then, up the leader about 6 - 10 inches, make a loop for your jig (or hook).  You can also make a second loop about 12-18" higher for a second jig if you wish.   Keep changing jigs sizes and colors until you find what the fish want.  Adding a few spikes, mousies or waxies to both hooks can't hurt either.
DON'T GET DISCOURAGED......I've been ice fishing for more than 50 years and still get skunked occasionaly!!  Spend as much time as you can on the ice.....and.... like the other guys told you.... ask questions of the other fishermen around you....they WILL be glad to help.

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Electronics are not really needed, this is shallow weedy water...

I out fish any of my friends at any givin day that dont have a flasher ,, you gottA know how to look "thru" the weeds,,, just sayin....

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Electronics are not really needed, this is shallow weedy water...

I out fish any of my friends at any givin day that dont have a flasher ,, you gottA know how to look "thru" the weeds,,, just sayin....
Those are your friends..... ::)   Watch the big bay regulars...they never have had a need for electronics ...I use mine sometimes, but I don't do as well as certain old timers out there on any given day! Don't get me wrong...I limit more days than not on that bay!  ;) ;D Just takes me longer than the guys that have been there every day for 20 + years.  Just saying,  you don't need them there. Or should I say, THEY  don't need them to fill a bucket?  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:46 AM »
If jigging for perch, try a tungston jig. They are heavier than regular jigs. That might solve the slack line problem. Works for me.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:53 PM »
Next time don't wait till you blow the entire day getting skunned. The same people who are replying to your posts are on the ice with you.  Just ask someone on the ice for pointers and you might even learn where the hot spots are and make some friends at the same time.
Good luck,  don't give up.

You tube "ice fishing rigs" for a start. You'll be up all night taking notes...  ;D
AND YOU must balance your rod,line,jig,[if you can not feel the jig then you can not feel the BITE
p.m.me
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:54 PM »
One thing that helped me tremendously was my flasher. I sold mine last year but the knowledge I gained from using it as amazing. It isn't necessary but it will help you to see what is going on below. One thing that I noticed was how may "lookers" there are. They could be sitting there staring at it and jigging could spook them. A lot of the time the way to get them was SLOWLY and steadily raising the rod, even raising the jig at rate of about 1-2ft a minute made all the difference, going from a stationary 1 foot off the bottom and slowly raising it to 5 or 6 feet off the bottom. And sometimes you need to jig agressively to get 'em in. Now I am not saying you need a flasher to fish, but it is a good instrument to learn some tricks. I kind of wish I kept mine, but I run and gun a lot and try different techniques to make up for it. Good luck, change it up and have fun.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:59 PM »

stelladog i'm  from  fulton myself  ....i'm  going  to  tell yo  exactly  wht  to  do  on  big  bay ......  light  line  and  a  glow  jig!   load  it  with  4  to  5  spikes  ....  get close  to  where  people  are  pulling  fish  ....drill  5  to  6  holes   ....  start   a  high drop  ...wter  is  between  4  to 7  foot  most  5  or  6  in big bay .....  from the  top of  th  hole  strt  lowering  your  jig  very  slow   after   3  foot  drop it  6  iches  stop  jig  wiat  repeat  ,,,  after  5  to  10  minutes  if  your  not  ooking  up  move  to  another  hole!   ...on that  drop  watch  for  slack  in  tht  line!   if  you  see  slack  set the  hook  .....  electronics  are  ok  but  morning  and   just  before  dark on  big  bay  you  don't need  them  .....  if  you  have  problems  pm  me  ... i been known  to  catch a  fish  or  two  off  big bay   ;D...........raate  is  right  i  have  never  used  any  line  over  2  lb  ...  i  perfer  a  line  i  can  see (personally  i  use  golden stren )   watch  your  line!  wtch  watch  watch  .....move  move  move  ....99% of  the  bites  yo  will see  slack  i the  line  before  you  feel  a  it!!!...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.