New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: FLAG!!! What now?  (Read 3047 times)

Offline S and K fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: FLAG!!! What now?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2010, 04:11 AM »
I let the kids run they give me updates as I walk to it.
Sean

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2010, 05:42 AM »
I've been messing around with tipups more this year (one of my fishing goals) and had an interesting thing happen a couple of weeks ago.

Flag went up and I strolled over to take a look see. Spool was at rest so I waited. The fish took a strong 2nd run and I gingerly removed the tipup, got hold of the line and set the hook. Just before I set the hook a second flag went off about 20yds away. I got the bass to the hole to find both baits/hooks in the greedy bugger's gullet.

I guess I have 2 choices. Spread them out a bit more or get my running shoes on. :-\

RG

Gotta spread em out alittle more G   :roflmao:

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline srice55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Sounds like you were running on thin ice ! 2-3 inches, you better tread with extreme caution !

no captain we were fishing a spot good 7 inches of ice but there was one small section that doesnt freeze over all the way cuz its spring fed. it freezes over enough so snow will cover it thats about it. well it was snowing and blowing pretty good that day the spot got covered up with snow. i was running for a flag totally forgot about it...down i went..but got out as quick as i went in and kept running for the flag

Offline srice55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Sounds like you were running on thin ice ! 2-3 inches, you better tread with extreme caution !

no captain we were fishing a spot good 7 inches of ice but there was one small section that doesnt freeze over all the way cuz its spring fed. it freezes over enough so snow will cover it thats about it. well it was snowing and blowing pretty good that day the spot got covered up with snow. i was running for a flag totally forgot about it...down i went..but got out as quick as i went in and kept running for the flag

Offline stripers77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • tip-up
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:19 AM »
for me it depends on the distance of the flag. a close flag and ill walk, a far flag and i run like hell ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Gotta spread em out alittle more G   :roflmao:

dav
Yeah, I guess so. I'm gonna work on that tomorrow ;D
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:45 PM »
I'm too darn old to be running after flags anymore.   After all, this tip up ain't going anywhere! ;D

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:35 AM »
 I used to love running for those flags. Nothing got my blood flowing like a flag popping up with a big shiner on it, and hoping that a 20# norhtern was on the other end. Time passed by and and as my sons got old enough to take out, I down-sized the pike bait to icesicles. On one day in particular, the little guy ran down so many flags he fell asleep in the truck before the heater was warmed up on our way home. He's 22 now...and still runs em down.....I guess I did my job right!!!  lol

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:01 AM »
When me and my buddies go its every fisherman for himself..... It looks more like ultimate fighting than fishing and i'm sure people think we're a**es but its a good time.  Last one standing gets dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the way we do it.  I fished with 6 other guys yesterday ranging in age from 30 to 52 and its no holds bared...The old guy was trying to bet the young guy to a flag and running at full bore I think his big belly got the best of him.. The momentum took him for a 6 foot fly through the air that had us all laughing the rest of the afternoon.... ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline strizzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:49 AM »
When me and my buddies go its every fisherman for himself..... It looks more like ultimate fighting than fishing and i'm sure people think we're a**es but its a good time.  Last one standing gets dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha ditto on this. If there is a good snow covering, its every man for themselves. We don't even yell "Flag", just drop our jigging pole and run. Sometimes we are meet with a shoelace or diving tackle, other times we make it there in one piece. Note: "items" have been broken!
NOAA charts overlaid on Google Maps: http://earthnc.com/chartviewer/

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:57 PM »
I guess I run/walk.  I find it hard once I get a head of steam up though to stop on the ice sometimes.  There have been a few overruns and sliding stops trying to stop without killing myself.  Can't tell if noise from approaching triggers hits or not.  Never paid much attention to that.  However you do it, the first time or the hundreth time, a flag is a rush :thumbsup:
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:31 PM »
i walk. growing up i was always told that running spooks fish and they might spit the bait - besides i'm there to relax

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:42 PM »
i gotta ask cause i see a lot of people saying this. i dont really think much about it but lets say it does. Lets say the fish get spooked at you running up and spit the bait and take off. At what depth are they no longer effected. Cause i love running so if it is effecting my fishing, maybe i can just go for a deeper fish that wont get scared.

Offline gaffer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:46 PM »
brother i didnt go threw all the replys but my expers are let them take it to the the second run thats when they take it,old men walk,running is the sport!ripping a snowmobile out there is retarted,lets get back to the basics.let him run flagger :tipup:

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:19 PM »
its a good day when the flags are flyin,chase'm how you wanna as long as you enjoy yourself :thumbsup: :tipup:

Offline Hayner12578

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Personally   I prefer the running belly side.  I suggest to put down your beverage first though!

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:26 AM »
I  normally just walk to the flag I took a real good spill (running with creepers).  Don't think I have caught less fish.  Just seems to be easier and safer :tipup:
;

Offline kjo43

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Frozen Member
« Reply #47 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:39 AM »
The race to the flag days are fun, we did that all the time in college.... Now the only reason to run is if I am literally on FIRE  ;D

Wondering what people think of how legal it is... I would think if you have 5 traps in the water and start hauling the line on another tip-up, you could end up with a ticket?
At the end of the day I don't see it as a major issue because the number of traps is still the same...  thoughts?

Offline Cold Inside

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:56 PM »
Run and try not to set the hook too early. Last time, I was too anxious and lost 2 pike. Another two broke my line -- black braided maybe a year too old. I iced just 1 of 5.  :-\

Offline trap123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:25 PM »
first this thread is a riot
now, in my opinion there is only 1 correct technique to properly handle this situation and that is to set your tipups at least 40 yards from basecamp so you can use the 1st 35 yds to build up a head of steam,then perform a diving belly flop and snag the tipup on the way by.
no one will get upset as you cant help but to laugh when you see a fat guy run and dive :roflmao:

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:32 PM »
hahaha i like that. im glad i started this thread its pretty funny to hear what everyone does. hope this fishing has been good guys this seasons been pretty good for me so my legs are starting to ge tired. but i wont stop till im running to my boat for the open water season.

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:37 AM »
run as fast as u can its all part of the fun

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:55 PM »
I was on sodus and drilling holes.  I looked thru my aqua vu at one and saw a pike just swimming around.  I guess the sound of the ice gator did not scare him.  I called my brother over and he started walking and then running.  he was about 20 yrds away when he started running and this spooked it and it swam off fast.  the water was about 9-10ft deep.  So running can scare them off in shallow water.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline sacandaga sucker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:59 AM »
run baby run !!! i fish the great sacandaga aka the dead sea so we dont get a whole lot of flags.. but when we do its usually fast and furiouse... :) :)  watching the flags turn north  still makes me feel like a 2  year old i hope it stays that way.. i love to feel the excitement cause you just never know what might be on the other end of the line.. also it is about all i have for a work out routine these days. ha ha ha... tight lines..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.